The Student Room Group

Healthy uni shopping list.

Can people help me put together a uni shopping list that is healthy. I'm looking to go to the gym a lot and hoping to eat "clean". What can you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Plan meals, don't just go get food and then put it together. By thinking about meals in advance you get a healthier diet and by only buying what you need for meals you waste less food and money.

The basis of eating heath is to cook from scratch so there's no crap in your food. Plan lunch and dinner around carb (preferably whole grains), veg and protein. Snack of fruit and healthy fats.Other than that (and the obvious like don't deep fry everything) it's all just personal taste so pick some meals you like. If you don't know meals then google some recipes and start learning.

For breakfast just don't have a fry up or sugar-y cereal, every other typical breakfast food is fine. Consider adding fruit if you don't snack on it.

There's really just not much use in people giving you a list of healthy foods to buy.
Original post by BKS
Plan meals, don't just go get food and then put it together. By thinking about meals in advance you get a healthier diet and by only buying what you need for meals you waste less food and money.

The basis of eating heath is to cook from scratch so there's no crap in your food. Plan lunch and dinner around carb (preferably whole grains), veg and protein. Snack of fruit and healthy fats.Other than that (and the obvious like don't deep fry everything) it's all just personal taste so pick some meals you like. If you don't know meals then google some recipes and start learning.

For breakfast just don't have a fry up or sugar-y cereal, every other typical breakfast food is fine. Consider adding fruit if you don't snack on it.

There's really just not much use in people giving you a list of healthy foods to buy.

Thank you. For breakfast I was thinking of granola, natural yoghurt, pancakes etc. I'd buy chicken and fresh fish. Then obvious things like pasta, rice etc.
Reply 3
Original post by sophieleannexo
Thank you. For breakfast I was thinking of granola, natural yoghurt, pancakes etc. I'd buy chicken and fresh fish. Then obvious things like pasta, rice etc.

Pancake=milk, white flour and sugar. Not really a good choice

Check the granola box, some muesli can be just as full of sugar are the obvious stuff so I assume the same applies since I'm not even sure what the difference between the two is
Original post by BKS
Pancake=milk, white flour and sugar. Not really a good choice

Check the granola box, some muesli can be just as full of sugar are the obvious stuff so I assume the same applies since I'm not even sure what the difference between the two is

So what would you recommend for breakfast then?
Reply 5

A granola that's not full of sugar? I don't know brands but just check the packet, some will be fine, some won't

When I ate musli for breakfast tesco's own was decent priced and had a low sugar version.

Can't go wrong with oats or weetabix (sainsbury's own brand is best/cheapest)
Can people help me put together a uni shopping list that is healthy. I'm looking to go to the gym a lot and hoping to eat "clean". What can you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guesstimated that a weekly shopping list for uni would run me around £30 per week. This was for a diet based around pretty simple foods such as brown rice, chicken, oats, eggs, milk, peanut butter and wholemeal bread.

I should probably learn how to cook and prepare this food between now and September, lol.
Reply 7
You can make a healthy pancake by mixing an egg with 2 bananas, you can also soak oats in milk overnight and just add fruit of your choice in the morning.
Original post by lolarose8
You can make a healthy pancake by mixing an egg with 2 bananas, you can also soak oats in milk overnight and just add fruit of your choice in the morning.

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Healthy breakfasts;

These are some good recipes and they are pretty yummy!!
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/healthy-breakfast
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/healthy-breakfast
Original post by BKS

This, plan your meals in advance and take them in food boxes.

There is of course times where pulling out a food box and eating your meal isnt practical.

Some snacks I use are:

Cottage Cheese
Protein Shakes
Flapjacks (obviously read the nutritional values on which you buy, some are healthy, some aren't)
100% Natural nut butter sandwhiches on wholemeal/wholewheat bread
Oats & Milk in a shaker

Hope this helps
what is your caloric goal. Consuming so called 'clean' food does not necessarily mean you will lose or maintain weight
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im guessing you want to maintain or lose weight? Personally I've been trying to gain weight and have been using a calorie counter app called myfitnesspal. All you do is enter your age weight and height and what your goal is and it will calculate your recommended calorie intake and macros for the day. All you have to do is enter the food you eat and it will tell you how much calories and macros you have left for the day to acheove your goal.. hope im not blabbering on too much lool
Reply 13
Granola is not a good idea-it's better to eat oats and some nuts/dried fruit-less sugar!
You can make healthy pancakes too! You can buy oatflour or riceflour or make your own if you have a blender!
I usually use homemade oatflour, some buttermilk and an egg to my pancakes.

Quick Reply

Latest