The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Anyone holding a firm offer for English Lit and Creative Writing? 2014

Just wondering if anyone else on the course is on this site? It'd be nice to learn a bit about each other before the course starts in October. I'm nervous and excited about starting, but Warwick is a great uni and I'm looking forward to studying there. :smile: :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by zoe.louise
Just wondering if anyone else on the course is on this site? It'd be nice to learn a bit about each other before the course starts in October. I'm nervous and excited about starting, but Warwick is a great uni and I'm looking forward to studying there. :smile: :confused:

Hello, I'm going to Warwick for the same course as you! I feel the same way, nervous but excited as well. I'm replying quite a while after you posted this, but I hope you see this... :smile: So, how are you preparing for university? :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hi there - two of us created a Facebook page for lit students (straight lit, lit with creative writing, etc) so come on over and chat to us there :smile: we're all feeling much the same as you both are and felt that it would be great to know some names and faces before we arrive in Sept! :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/236517146539908/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm Ellie - currently posting under Cobalt magazine's account but hey, I'm the real person behind it :wink: I was EXACTLY where you guys are this time last year, about do to ELCW, and I can tell you that it is FANTASTIC :biggrin: it couldn't be truer that the more you put into this course, the more you get out of it - do not be afraid to throw yourself into something even if other people are sticking to the 'norm'. The tutors (they're all so nice but Ian Sansom and Will Eaves are absolute legends) will, in my experience, be more supportive of those who try different things than those who stick to the same poetry or prose style they've always done. They wanna see you grow I guess!

Any questions let me know, I'll post a link to the magazine's REAL FRESHERS Guide once it's loaded online so you can get more general info, but if there's anything specific you want to know about English fire away :biggrin: x
Hey guys!

As promised, here's the link to our Freshers Guide :smile:

We're an online student magazine at Warwick and regardless of you would be interested in working with us or joining our society, we've made an SUPER HELPFUL Freshers Guide.

But it's not fluffy stuff reproduced year after year by the SU - it's REAL opinions from loads of students who were in your position this time last year. Featuring REAL accommodation experiences, REAL nightlife reviews, REAL transport info (seriously, the bus and fare info will save your life) - give it a look!

http://issuu.com/cobaltmagazine/docs/issue_1.5_freshers_14/1

Congratulations, and see you next year!

COBALT Magazine Society
Original post by sohinik
Hello, I'm going to Warwick for the same course as you! I feel the same way, nervous but excited as well. I'm replying quite a while after you posted this, but I hope you see this... :smile: So, how are you preparing for university? :smile:

Just seen it! Hi!

I've gathered a list of helpful books but my real prep starts now that I know I've been confirmed! I'm just gonna keep with my writing and do some summer reading. What about you?

Also, how's your results day gone? :-)
Original post by apunctuationmark
Hi there - two of us created a Facebook page for lit students (straight lit, lit with creative writing, etc) so come on over and chat to us there :smile: we're all feeling much the same as you both are and felt that it would be great to know some names and faces before we arrive in Sept! :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/236517146539908/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh, thanks. I'll join after my celebratory dinner. Not sure what I'm having yet but Warwick, here I come!
Original post by Cobalt Warwick
Hi, I'm Ellie - currently posting under Cobalt magazine's account but hey, I'm the real person behind it :wink: I was EXACTLY where you guys are this time last year, about do to ELCW, and I can tell you that it is FANTASTIC :biggrin: it couldn't be truer that the more you put into this course, the more you get out of it - do not be afraid to throw yourself into something even if other people are sticking to the 'norm'. The tutors (they're all so nice but Ian Sansom and Will Eaves are absolute legends) will, in my experience, be more supportive of those who try different things than those who stick to the same poetry or prose style they've always done. They wanna see you grow I guess!

Any questions let me know, I'll post a link to the magazine's REAL FRESHERS Guide once it's loaded online so you can get more general info, but if there's anything specific you want to know about English fire away :biggrin: x

Thanks! It sounds good! My interview was with Ian and he seems pretty cool :-) are you studying one of the English degrees?
Reply 8
Just seen it! Hi!

I've gathered a list of helpful books but my real prep starts now that I know I've been confirmed! I'm just gonna keep with my writing and do some summer reading. What about you?

Also, how's your results day gone? :-)

Hey, just saw your answer :biggrin: Same here, I've ordered some background reading books, and I'm reading up on saving money and accommodation and whatnot... I did the IB so I got my results ages ago, and they went quite well! How about you? By the way, we spoke on the Facebook page for people doing Lit with something else :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Cobalt Warwick
Hey guys!

As promised, here's the link to our Freshers Guide :smile:

We're an online student magazine at Warwick and regardless of you would be interested in working with us or joining our society, we've made an SUPER HELPFUL Freshers Guide.

But it's not fluffy stuff reproduced year after year by the SU - it's REAL opinions from loads of students who were in your position this time last year. Featuring REAL accommodation experiences, REAL nightlife reviews, REAL transport info (seriously, the bus and fare info will save your life) - give it a look!

http://issuu.com/cobaltmagazine/docs/issue_1.5_freshers_14/1

Congratulations, and see you next year!

COBALT Magazine Society

Ah, that's really helpful! I will be sure to check this guide out :biggrin:
Original post by sohinik
Hey, just saw your answer :biggrin: Same here, I've ordered some background reading books, and I'm reading up on saving money and accommodation and whatnot... I did the IB so I got my results ages ago, and they went quite well! How about you? By the way, we spoke on the Facebook page for people doing Lit with something else :smile:

I just realised that! Haha :-) my results were good, abb, thankfully Warwick accepted me without the aaa
Reply 11
I just realised that! Haha :-) my results were good, abb, thankfully Warwick accepted me without the aaa

That is still a great result though! Congrats! So what kind of background reading are you doing? I found some 'suggested summer reading' books under the Medieval/Renaissance Literature module, but apart from that I couldn't find any books we're supposed to read beforehand.
Original post by sohinik
That is still a great result though! Congrats! So what kind of background reading are you doing? I found some 'suggested summer reading' books under the Medieval/Renaissance Literature module, but apart from that I couldn't find any books we're supposed to read beforehand.

Thanks!

I bought that Tudor England one, silly me, The Magic Toyshop and one of the others from modes of reading. But they're not here yet because I forgot to sign up for amazon student :-\
Reply 13
Thanks!

I bought that Tudor England one, silly me, The Magic Toyshop and one of the others from modes of reading. But they're not here yet because I forgot to sign up for amazon student :-\

Which one is the Tudor England one? I actually bought the Iliad because I thought I had to read it, but turns out that that is probably for those taking only English lit :P
Original post by sohinik
Which one is the Tudor England one? I actually bought the Iliad because I thought I had to read it, but turns out that that is probably for those taking only English lit :P

Pfft, I don't know. Its something to do with the social history etc of that era. I'll check if you want?

Oh bless haha!
Reply 15
Pfft, I don't know. Its something to do with the social history etc of that era. I'll check if you want?

Oh bless haha!

That would be nice, I would really appreciate it ^_^ Or just tell me if it's something we're supposed to read as background? Honestly I can't figure out if there's supposed to be an official reading list and I can't find it, or if we just start reading once courses start and we don't have to do anything now... Ahaha yeah, that was silly but maybe one day I'll have the courage to actually read it :P
Original post by sohinik
That would be nice, I would really appreciate it ^_^ Or just tell me if it's something we're supposed to read as background? Honestly I can't figure out if there's supposed to be an official reading list and I can't find it, or if we just start reading once courses start and we don't have to do anything now... Ahaha yeah, that was silly but maybe one day I'll have the courage to actually read it :P

It was definitely one of the three under medieval to renaissance summer reading list: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/currentstudents/undergraduate/modules/fulllist/first/en121
Reply 17
It was definitely one of the three under medieval to renaissance summer reading list: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/currentstudents/undergraduate/modules/fulllist/first/en121

Ah, thank you! I will give you chocolate ^_^ So are you planning on reading the other books it suggests for the summer? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sohinik
Ah, thank you! I will give you chocolate ^_^ So are you planning on reading the other books it suggests for the summer? :smile:

Ooh, chocolate! :-D um, I'm going to say no, purely because they're not cheap. Although there's that pdf...I can't remember her name...that a girl has on the lit group. So that's 2/3. I'm a quick reader :-P are you?
Original post by sohinik

As in are you going to read all three? :-P

Quick Reply

Latest