The Student Room Group

University Courses and 'Typical offers'

Hello TSR, I need your help! After looking at the entry requirements for Oxford among other top universities, I've noticed that the 'Entry Requirements' on the website seem to be lower than someone would expect. For example, the GCE Entry requirements for Physics is A*AA. However I've seen many occasions where students with much better grades (A*A*A* and A*A*A) have had their application rejected. My question is, are the 'Entry requirements' realistic? Or perhaps, would someone with the grades of A*AA have realistic chances of getting into such a university?
Thank you
The entry requirements are the basic requirements, you can get in with A*AA or be rejected with A*A*A*A*A*.
They're just part of the process, other factors like the PAT, interview and to an extent personal statement are more important.
Additionally, remember most people apply with AS grades, and you can't get A* at AS.

Almost all conditional offers are in line with the typical offer.
Original post by Lucilou101
The entry requirements are the basic requirements, you can get in with A*AA or be rejected with A*A*A*A*A*.
They're just part of the process, other factors like the PAT, interview and to an extent personal statement are more important.

I understand that the interview plays a major role in getting admitted or not, but under what criteria do applicants get called in for an interview? Would you say that the personal statement contributes more to the likelihood of that happening rather than having excellent grades ?
Original post by nexttime
Additionally, remember most people apply with AS grades, and you can't get A* at AS.

Almost all conditional offers are in line with the typical offer.

For me, I will have my A-Levels completed when I apply. Would that make my application stronger or weaker compared to applicants that only have their AS completed?
Original post by ScepticScholar
I understand that the interview plays a major role in getting admitted or not, but under what criteria do applicants get called in for an interview? Would you say that the personal statement contributes more to the likelihood of that happening rather than having excellent grades ?

Th personal statement may not even be read. For any subject with an admissions test, that is the most significant factor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending