The Student Room Group

Coldplay: Old or New Music?

Poll

New or Old styled music?

So looking at Sky Full of Stars on youtube the other day was quite interesting, because there's quite a lot of debate and negative comments on Coldplay's new/current style of music.

I'm not a fan of it personally, I prefer albums like Viva la Vida and acoustic based songs.. but at the same time I understand that they're a band who want to make profit as well, so sometimes you need to a bit 'mainstream'

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are really: are you a fan of their 'new' style and do you prefer it to their older stuff, or do you think they're better off sticking to their more original tracks? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think they get better and better honestly. I love them. Charlie Brown and Waterfall off MyloXoto or whateer it was lol Amazing. Fix You yrrsss ago was great too! Everything they do is great but they're a little fruity sometimes. Oh well.
Reply 2
Original post by L0L!
I think they get better and better honestly. I love them. Charlie Brown and Waterfall off MyloXoto or whateer it was lol Amazing. Fix You yrrsss ago was great too! Everything they do is great but they're a little fruity sometimes. Oh well.

Definitely agree with you on Charlie Brown, a great song!! Yeah, I see what you mean actually.... not always going to please everyone! But definitely not denying they're not an epic band, just interested to see what people think :biggrin:
Definitely old style was better
I preferred the old music by a long shot.
I think they are absolutely dreadful these days, doing songs with Rihanna and the like just show you the direction they have gone in.

They have always been incredibly dull, but in more recent years they have also become incredibly bad.
Old music is better but I do like A Sky Full of Stars
Their last few songs were a joke.
Old, a million times over. Classics like 'In my place', 'God put a smile upon your face', 'Green Eyes', 'Don't Panic', 'The Scientist', 'Violet Hill' etc.
Coldplay used to give me major eargasms, now I switch the radio channel anytime one of their ****ty new songs come on. The only half decent song out of their newish ones is Charlie Brown. Don't even get me started on Princess of China :angry:
old by a mile
Reply 9
Original post by thechemistress
Their last few songs were a joke.
Old, a million times over. Classics like 'In my place', 'God put a smile upon your face', 'Green Eyes', 'Don't Panic', 'The Scientist', 'Violet Hill' etc.
Coldplay used to give me major eargasms, now I switch the radio channel anytime one of their ****ty new songs come on. The only half decent song out of their newish ones is Charlie Brown. Don't even get me started on Princess of China :angry:

Haha, get what you mean with Princess of China, and the songs you mentioned are classics.. I miss the 'upbeat' songs being those like strawberry swing or Life in Technicolour, not a fan of the whole 'techno' scene. :s-smilie:
Both. I've always liked everything they've done no matter what genre it is. You can't just keep releasing the same kind of material on every new album, it would get boring.
Original post by BethhPhill
Haha, get what you mean with Princess of China, and the songs you mentioned are classics.. I miss the 'upbeat' songs being those like strawberry swing or Life in Technicolour, not a fan of the whole 'techno' scene. :s-smilie:

Strawberry Swing <3 That was my favourite Coldplay song for quite a while.
I don't know, I just miss their old stuff. It's the same with the Arctic Monkeys - their old stuff used to be such quality :frown:
Definitely their old stuff, X&Y is an amazing album.

I love their new music too, but it's not as good as their old music.
Original post by ryan9900
Both. I've always liked everything they've done no matter what genre it is. You can't just keep releasing the same kind of material on every new album, it would get boring.

That's a valid point. I guess as the band evolves, they shed some of their old fans and gain new ones who like their new type of music.
Original post by BethhPhill
So looking at Sky Full of Stars on youtube the other day was quite interesting, because there's quite a lot of debate and negative comments on Coldplay's new/current style of music.

I'm not a fan of it personally, I prefer albums like Viva la Vida and acoustic based songs.. but at the same time I understand that they're a band who want to make profit as well, so sometimes you need to a bit 'mainstream'

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are really: are you a fan of their 'new' style and do you prefer it to their older stuff, or do you think they're better off sticking to their more original tracks? :smile:

My favourites were Paradise and Charlie Brown. :smile:

A Sky Full of Stars is also quite good. :smile:

I didn't like their old stuff much at all. :frown: Stuff like Fix You, Viva La Vida etc got boring quickly.
Reply 15
I prefer their old music, their recent stuff has been awful.
That's a valid point. I guess as the band evolves, they shed some of their old fans and gain new ones who like their new type of music.

It really is. Obviously a lot of people loved their earlier stuff but if they still hadn't moved on from that today, they wouldn't be selling out stadiums in every country they perform in.

I understand why people might not like the newer stuff though, but to me, it always seems to have that Coldplay 'feel' to it, which is the reason I decided they were my favourite band aged 5 when I first heard Yellow.
Reply 17

Yeah, I agree, good point really... They have to think profit wise and bands are always going to evolve and gain/lose followers!
It really is. Obviously a lot of people loved their earlier stuff but if they still hadn't moved on from that today, they wouldn't be selling out stadiums in every country they perform in.

I understand why people might not like the newer stuff though, but to me, it always seems to have that Coldplay 'feel' to it, which is the reason I decided they were my favourite band aged 5 when I first heard Yellow.

I don't know, for me it's lost the typical coldplay feel to it :/ Now it just sounds like generic pop/rock music to me :frown: I guess I'll just stick to listening to their older music xD
Ah, yellow xD That is a truly great song :biggrin: 5 is quite young to decide on your favourite song :tongue:
I don't know, for me it's lost the typical coldplay feel to it :/ Now it just sounds like generic pop/rock music to me :frown: I guess I'll just stick to listening to their older music xD
Ah, yellow xD That is a truly great song :biggrin: 5 is quite young to decide on your favourite song :tongue:

Everyone has a different taste though and people hear the same things in different ways so that's expected.

I think I first heard Yellow at school for some reason, and I liked it, so asked the teacher what it was and I just remember listening to them every since!

Quick Reply

Latest