The Student Room Group

References Issue

Hey there, I have an issue regarding applying for a part time job for the summer. My applications are usually strong but the only department that I am let down on is references. I have been at University for two years, and although I could provide academic references such as lecturers, tutors etc - I don't feel that these people 'know me' or can vouch for me when applying for a job. Furthermore, I don't feel that I know anyone on a somewhat personal level who can vouch for me and can say what I can do etc to a potential employer. I already have one reference but the minimum is usually two for most companies. So yeah, just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what sorts of people can provide references that are not the people most people provide.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Kevendi

Lecturers and tutors are the usual referees - it's not so much up to you to decide who is a suitable referee in these circumstances, but the employers. Otherwise, you could ask someone who knows you from a position of responsibility, eg a sports coach, a faith leader, a volunteering manager etc

Remember that references are not taken until you are made a job offer, so all the employer is usually looking for is for someone to confirm you aren't completely making all you've said up. They aren't going to be asking detailed questions of the referee about your workplace abilities.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Lecturers and tutors are the usual referees - it's not so much up to you to decide who is a suitable referee in these circumstances, but the employers. Otherwise, you could ask someone who knows you from a position of responsibility, eg a sports coach, a faith leader, a volunteering manager etc

Remember that references are not taken until you are made a job offer, so all the employer is usually looking for is for someone to confirm you aren't completely making all you've said up. They aren't going to be asking detailed questions of the referee about your workplace abilities.

Thanks for the reply! I do already have one reference, and that is actually a volunteering manager. I'm tempted to just put down my most recent tutor from last semester, but it's not like I've spoken to them outwith say, lectures and tutorials, so they can't really talk about me. I suppose that if its an academic reference then all employers will look for is a sound academic record from the said referee, but I just don't feel entirely comfortable doing that.
Original post by Kevendi
Thanks for the reply! I do already have one reference, and that is actually a volunteering manager. I'm tempted to just put down my most recent tutor from last semester, but it's not like I've spoken to them outwith say, lectures and tutorials, so they can't really talk about me. I suppose that if its an academic reference then all employers will look for is a sound academic record from the said referee, but I just don't feel entirely comfortable doing that.

They'll be looking for 'John is a bright, honest young man and I would have no issues employing him' or something as banal as that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending