The Student Room Group

PS3 not working...help!

Hi, I have a 320Gb PS3 slim and its not connecting to the TV. What I mean by that exactly is even, when fully connected, our TV is not picking up the PS3 signal. The two small lights below the CD tray are not flashing. This happened recently and I am not too sure what I should do.

I looked online and people, who had similar problems, just resetted their PS3s. I tried doing it, but after 1 beep the PS3 shut down. Any suggestions ?

PS: I have had it for about 3 years
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you plugged it into a 1080p TV recently, and is yours 720p?
Original post by manu01
Hi, I have a 320Gb PS3 slim and its not connecting to the TV. What I mean by that exactly is even, when fully connected, our TV is not picking up the PS3 signal. The two small lights below the CD tray are not flashing. This happened recently and I am not too sure what I should do.

I looked online and people, who had similar problems, just resetted their PS3s. I tried doing it, but after 1 beep the PS3 shut down. Any suggestions ?

PS: I have had it for about 3 years

Yeah make sure you are doing the reset properly because this happened to me when it took it from my room into the living room. The two TVs apparently had different resolutions so that why there was no picture when I connected it all up.

When you do a reset then the display settings will be on the lowest resolution and I think all TVs will be able to pick this up. Then you can change it to the correct one.

Check YouTube tutorials on how to do the reset properly and it should work. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Bezaberry
Have you plugged it into a 1080p TV recently, and is yours 720p?

Yeah, I think our TV is 1080p. I am just worried it might be a hardware problem since the two little lights under the CD tray are not flashing.
Original post by manu01
Yeah, I think our TV is 1080p. I am just worried it might be a hardware problem since the two little lights under the CD tray are not flashing.

If you've moved it onto a new TV, it is probably that. Just do a master reset. My brother did this and GAME told him it was £80 to repair, lol.

Hold it down for ages.

If it still doesn't work consult the Sony forums, if that fails, treat yourself to a PS4. They're really quite fun. Sorry I can't be of more help if this doesn't work. :frown:
Could it be that your TV set has no HD function because your PS3 won't show any display? Have you tried pressing the power button from your PS3 greater than 5 secs?
Connect your PS3 to your TV as you would as if it was working.

Now hold down the PS3's button until you hear a double beep. Release the button at that point.

The display should reset to lowest resolution to which you can then change to whatever resolution you wish.

Quick Reply

Latest