The Student Room Group

I offended someone and was generally an idiot

Last night I meet up with friends, and got a bit stoned. I am already quite prone to saying the wrong thing, but last night I behaved in such an annoying and idiotic way.

I also said something which may have been interpreted as bitchy- but I'm not sure if it was as she said nothing.

I feel so bad about it now and I'm really worried it won't be forgotten for a while.

How should I fix this? Should I apologise?
Reply 1
of course you should apologize if what you said was out of order. thats the least you can do you bad girl.
Say to her what you have said to us.

I make a point of never underestimating people's intelligence. Sometimes you are disappointed (in which case make better friends / learn to humour them), but with the average person straightforward honesty goes a long way. She knows you think whatever you said - let her know that you also regret it, and that you have analysed your behaviour (whatever that may be), and let her decide what she thinks. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Octohedral
Say to her what you have said to us.

I make a point of never underestimating people's intelligence. Sometimes you are disappointed (in which case make better friends / learn to humour them), but with the average person straightforward honesty goes a long way. She knows you think whatever you said - let her know that you also regret it, and that you have analysed your behaviour (whatever that may be), and let her decide what she thinks. :smile:

Well, I said something was suggested being overweight makes you unattractive. I didn't say she was fat, I just suggested that someone we knew wasn't attractive anymore because of it. She is a little on the big side but not actually fat - she could have been offended but I'm not sure.

I am genuinely sorry - as soon as I said it I had that awful sinking feeling in my stomach - I knew I had ****ed up. If I have upset her I will apologise, but the thing is I don't know if she's actually offended! I honestly don't know what to do. If I apologise and she's not offended, it might seem l'm insinuating she's fat!

BTW I think I just generally annoyed my mates that night by being annoying in conversations. Do you reckon they'll let it go?

Cheers for the great advice anyway. Rep 4 you. I'm just freaking out about how annoying I was. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by slade p
of course you should apologize if what you said was out of order. thats the least you can do you bad girl.

Bad girl? lol
Reply 5
Original post by OrlaCarmel
Bad girl? lol

for saying bitchy things.

what did you say exactly?
Reply 6
Original post by slade p
for saying bitchy things.

what did you say exactly?

I referenced it when replying to Octohedral - scroll up.
Reply 7
I referenced it when replying to Octohedral - scroll up.

oh i see lol, well that's not so bad because you did not literally call anyone fat even though you may of had that person in mind. but if that person did not say anything about it then you should not say sorry incase she did not think it was directed at her.

if this is the case and you say sorry then she will be offended because you would expose that you included her in your thoughts.

if she was offended but did not say it then she will eventually tell someone from which you should then say sorry.
Well, I said something was suggested being overweight makes you unattractive. I didn't say she was fat, I just suggested that someone we knew wasn't attractive anymore because of it. She is a little on the big side but not actually fat - she could have been offended but I'm not sure.

I am genuinely sorry - as soon as I said it I had that awful sinking feeling in my stomach - I knew I had ****ed up. If I have upset her I will apologise, but the thing is I don't know if she's actually offended! I honestly don't know what to do. If I apologise and she's not offended, it might seem l'm insinuating she's fat!

BTW I think I just generally annoyed my mates that night by being annoying in conversations. Do you reckon they'll let it go?

Cheers for the great advice anyway. Rep 4 you. I'm just freaking out about how annoying I was. :frown:

Ah, in that case I wouldn't say anything - you 100% will offend her if you do, girls who are a little overweight tend to know it and pick up on anything that verifies it. Only apologise if she mentions it - otherwise speak in general terms. :smile:

Marcus Aurelius: "Before ten days have passed, you shall rank as a god with those who hold you now as a wild beast or an ape, if you only turn back to your precepts and your reverence for reason. "

Step 1: Identify your faults. It's important not to over-apologise as much as it is not to under-apologise, as you put the idea of wrongdoing in their heads.

Step 2: Deliver apology.

Step 3: Change, and don't look back. They will forget.
If it was good weed you would of just said it in your head and continued to have a discussion about it for at least ten minutes, and none of this would of happened.
Reply 10
Original post by Octohedral
Ah, in that case I wouldn't say anything - you 100% will offend her if you do, girls who are a little overweight tend to know it and pick up on anything that verifies it. Only apologise if she mentions it - otherwise speak in general terms. :smile:

Marcus Aurelius: "Before ten days have passed, you shall rank as a god with those who hold you now as a wild beast or an ape, if you only turn back to your precepts and your reverence for reason. "

Step 1: Identify your faults. It's important not to over-apologise as much as it is not to under-apologise, as you put the idea of wrongdoing in their heads.

Step 2: Deliver apology.

Step 3: Change, and don't look back. They will forget.

Thank you so much. I might print screen this to reassure myself - I used to have Social Anxiety Disorder so that is why I'm freaking out, :lol: (plus I know I probably really offended her).
Reply 11
Original post by consumed by stuff
If it was good weed you would of just said it in your head and continued to have a discussion about it for at least ten minutes, and none of this would of happened.

Why would that make it good weed? I usually find myself spurting out all kinds of stupid things whenever I'm high, so I don't really get your point :colondollar:.
Why would that make it good weed? I usually find myself spurting out all kinds of stupid things whenever I'm high, so I don't really get your point :colondollar:.

If it was stronger you wouldn't blurt too many stupid things, the words wouldn't even make it out your mouth. You'd be just stuck in a circular internal monologue about whether to get up and make toast for a good hour.
(edited 9 years ago)
make a general apology to the group as you think "I was probably being annoying" and don't get so out of your head that you can't control what you say.
Reply 14
Original post by consumed by stuff
If it was stronger you wouldn't blurt too many stupid things, the words wouldn't even make it out your mouth. You'd be just stuck in a circular internal monologue about whether to get up and make toast for a good hour.

true - although after I said it I was stuck in the typical internal monologue where you worry like crazy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending