The Student Room Group

a-level computing with no computing experience?

Hi there,

do you think it is possible to do a-level (at least as) computing with no computing experience?
I mean would I be able to cope with that and would I understand what is going on in the lessons?
I did not do GCSE ICT or anything similar. However, I would say that I think very logicaly. I love maths and physics and I am aiming for an A* in both of them at GCSE.
I would like to do Maths, Physics, Geography and Computing at A level, but I am not sure if I can do computing with no experience. I mean I can use computers in every day life but i never programmed anything. On the other hand I did take part in a competition in which I submitted a power point presentation and I made it into the final round. I know that PowerPoint isn't anything like A level computing but I got higher marks than some people who actually programmed something.

I hope you can help me,

amo.canem
Hi amo.canem -

You should be able to do Computing A-level without prior experience, yes. Personally, I'd done BTEC ICT before starting Computing as an AS, but given how different the content of ICT and Computing are, you should be fine without it - particularly as AS Computing doesn't really rely on a great deal of existing knowledge of the subject. If you're unsure however, you could always look over the syllabus of whichever exam board it would be on, to give you an idea of what you'd be covering :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest