The Student Room Group

What are predicted A Level grades based on?

Okay basically i'm in year 12, about to start year 13 and i take maths, biology and english (and chemistry but dropping that). I am going to apply to do a course that requires either AAB or ABB (depending on the uni's) I know i can get A's in biology and english if not in AS then definitely in A2. However with maths, i know i can get a B overall but i completely messed up one of the AS exams, and i think the highest i would get at AS would be a C.
My problem is, is i have no idea what predicted grades for the whole a level are based on. i know AS grades have to be taken into account, but would the predicted grade be the grade i get at AS? or would it be higher or maybe even lower?

Also, would a uni even begin to consider me if i got predicted maybe two A's and a C? (i'm also doing an EPQ)
Original post by zelda101
Okay basically i'm in year 12, about to start year 13 and i take maths, biology and english (and chemistry but dropping that). I am going to apply to do a course that requires either AAB or ABB (depending on the uni's) I know i can get A's in biology and english if not in AS then definitely in A2. However with maths, i know i can get a B overall but i completely messed up one of the AS exams, and i think the highest i would get at AS would be a C.
My problem is, is i have no idea what predicted grades for the whole a level are based on. i know AS grades have to be taken into account, but would the predicted grade be the grade i get at AS? or would it be higher or maybe even lower?

Also, would a uni even begin to consider me if i got predicted maybe two A's and a C? (i'm also doing an EPQ)

The predicted grade is the grade your teachers, in their professional opinion, think you are going to achieve at A2. In practice, this would normally be your AS grade or a grade above your AS grade. If you got a C in AS Maths and your teachers think that was a fluke and that you're capable of getting a B at A2 then there's nothing stopping them from predicting you a B. That doesn't mean they will predict you a B since it's up to them, but they could.
Reply 2
It's very school dependent.

My school operated a policy of just taking your AS grade and predicting that. In cases they predicted higher where they thought things were the case (i.e. if you take part in class, hand things in on time, previously good results in your mocks and other assessments) then they might predict you higher. I had AAA predictions with BBB at AS because two of those B grades were close to the A border. The other one just involved one resit as it was a poor module out of three which dragged it down.

If you believe AAB/ABB is realistic in the end, for yourself, then try push them for it. Be reasonable though, and present them with facts (mock results etc.) - they understand people need predictions sometimes. You have to put in the work for it though, and they need to know you will do that.

I don't think they will lower a prediction from your AS grade.

Quick Reply

Latest