The Student Room Group

Psychology or Speech and Langauge therapy at university?

I am an a-level (AS) student currently studying Biology, Psychology, English Language and Ancient history (I am going to drop history in A2 year).
I am confused over whether to pick Speech and Language Therapy or Psychology at university, i am interested in the medical/ biological/ health, more practical side to psychology. The thing is Speech and language therapy is that it is focused on one specific career and high rates of employment after the course, but this is a bad thing too, i am a very indecisive person and i dont want to regret choosing such a specific course, also not many unis in the UK have it as a course, Psychology is more of an open subject but requires further extensive study to be able to successfully pursue an actual career as a psychiatrist of any sort....i dont want to study for so long, i know that with psychology i can do placements and extra things alongside my undergrad course but im not sure, im completely split between the two...are there any SLT or psychology uni students that could offer any advice? i want to have a clear idea so that i can start finding specific work placements and do my personal statement etc....its stressful being do confused :/..thank you ::smile:
You don't have to be a psychologist after doing a psychology degree. There's a postgraduate qualification for speech and language therapy so you could always do it after a psychology degree
Original post by shreckislife
I am an a-level (AS) student currently studying Biology, Psychology, English Language and Ancient history (I am going to drop history in A2 year).
I am confused over whether to pick Speech and Language Therapy or Psychology at university, i am interested in the medical/ biological/ health, more practical side to psychology. The thing is Speech and language therapy is that it is focused on one specific career and high rates of employment after the course, but this is a bad thing too, i am a very indecisive person and i dont want to regret choosing such a specific course, also not many unis in the UK have it as a course, Psychology is more of an open subject but requires further extensive study to be able to successfully pursue an actual career as a psychiatrist of any sort....i dont want to study for so long, i know that with psychology i can do placements and extra things alongside my undergrad course but im not sure, im completely split between the two...are there any SLT or psychology uni students that could offer any advice? i want to have a clear idea so that i can start finding specific work placements and do my personal statement etc....its stressful being do confused :/..thank you ::smile:

I have today done my final A2 exam - I am studying psychology sociology enlish lit/lang combined and RS. I also considered psychology at uni then I discovered SLT! I am lucky as I have a place (grades permitting) on a joint honours course where I will qualify as an SLT but will have a psychology degree too but not sure if this course is even running after this year,

Don't bother with SLT unless its what you really want - its very competetive (as you say only 17/18 unis in the country offer the course with anywhere between 15-40 places each). Loads of my friends had offers for more usual courses whilst I was still attending interviews - very stressful!

The postgrad route to SLT seems even more competetive with lots of focus on experience etc.

Think long and hard about what you might like to do in the future - you have some time yet before you have to make a decision.

Good luck!
I am looking to swap to psychology and speech pathology combined at MMU - how many weeks study is it? I am trying to do a finance calculator but don't know where to find this info.
Original post by EmmaMcGarvey
I am looking to swap to psychology and speech pathology combined at MMU - how many weeks study is it? I am trying to do a finance calculator but don't know where to find this info.

Not really sure - when I did my bursary application I just picked which course I was doing and the computer did the rest - I did hear mention of 34 weeks on the SLT thread some time ago but don't know for sure - sorry! Are you switching from straight SLT course at ManMet?
Original post by AmyPilot
Not really sure - when I did my bursary application I just picked which course I was doing and the computer did the rest - I did hear mention of 34 weeks on the SLT thread some time ago but don't know for sure - sorry! Are you switching from straight SLT course at ManMet?

No I am down to study psychology and counselling studies at Salford -but Psych and SLT has always been my first choice. I was rejected originally as personal statement was too psych based (all courses I applied for had a psych element) but have surpassed the entry requirement for it on my access course so can use adjustment :smile: just hoping and praying I get in.
Original post by EmmaMcGarvey
No I am down to study psychology and counselling studies at Salford -but Psych and SLT has always been my first choice. I was rejected originally as personal statement was too psych based (all courses I applied for had a psych element) but have surpassed the entry requirement for it on my access course so can use adjustment :smile: just hoping and praying I get in.
Oh I see - how does adjustment work? Do you have to wait until A level results are out to see if anyone has missed the grades (hope thats not me eek)? I see the course has gone from ucas extra so presume the don't have any known vacancies yet.Good luck!
Original post by AmyPilot
Oh I see - how does adjustment work? Do you have to wait until A level results are out to see if anyone has missed the grades (hope thats not me eek)? I see the course has gone from ucas extra so presume the don't have any known vacancies yet.Good luck!

If you get better grades than are required for you conditional firm choice you can go through a system from 14th August for a week and see if you want to go for a different course. Have to ring the Uni's themselves and yes have to wait until A level results day, but if you don't get in a different course (if everyone met grade requirements) then you still have you firm choice.
Thanks a lot and good luck to you to.
Go check out UCL Psychology and Language Sciences?
Reply 9
Reading also do a Clinical Language Sciences and Psychology degree - BPS accredited but obviously you don't come out with an SLT qualification. My son's hoping to do it - grades permitting - after deciding he wasn't sure about being an SLT and despite some offers! We both loved Reading which helped ;-) and the open day was very useful.

Quick Reply

Latest