The Student Room Group

Where to sell Cambridge undergraduate gown?

I'm graduating this year and have no further use for my (Fitzwilliam) undergraduate gown. Does anyone know where I might be able to sell it? I tried Ede & Ravenscroft and Ryder & Amies, but they don't buy gowns, and the Graduate Union don't buy undergraduate gowns.

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, have you figured out how to sell it? I'm in the same situation rn.
no clue boss
Potentially silly question but why did you buy the gown in the first place? Can’t you rent them?
Reply 4
Original post by lisa0331

Unless you badly need the money, don't. Trust me, you'll want to look fondly at it in a few years. Get your parents to store it for you til then.

You should write on this thread below:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6665042&p=90809706&page=4#post90809706

New undergrads are going up soon.
Original post by CTLeafez
Potentially silly question but why did you buy the gown in the first place? Can’t you rent them?

At Cambridge, you wear your gown for matriculation (joining the College) for formal dinners and for graduation. As they're £35-£50 new (depending on College), it's far cheaper to buy it than rent one every time you need it unless you never go to formal dinners.
Original post by CTLeafez

To clarify, you understand that in Cambridge students need a gown for things like ceremonies, formal halls etc? So it's not like renting for a one-off.

That said, I'm surprised there is no "buy-back" system where you can sell your gown back if it's in good condition. Personally I'll be keeping mine out of sentimentality though.
Would recommend your College JCR Facebook group. But even if you've finished studying and are waiting for your graduation ceremony, you might want to hang onto it because you'll need to wear it for that if you graduate in person.
Reply 9
Original post by wooper
I'm graduating this year and have no further use for my (Fitzwilliam) undergraduate gown. Does anyone know where I might be able to sell it? I tried Ede & Ravenscroft and Ryder & Amies, but they don't buy gowns, and the Graduate Union don't buy undergraduate gowns.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Wooper's post is 6 years old, and they haven't been on TSR since 2015.

There's always ebay... or gift it to your JCR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending