The Student Room Group

International Business@..?

First of all hey everyone since this is my first post on the Student room. Very great forum you guys got here and it's been really helpful for me to read about what people in the UK think about different institutes.
Ok due to several reasons I was unable to apply to the UK for this session as I was planning on going to Canada... but after University of Toronto rejected me I didnt want to go to my other Canadian choices and ended up taking a gap year :tongue: Now I've fallen in love with the UK and really want to go to the UK for fall 07. I've done alot of research on universities in the UK as earlier I had almost no idea what was on offer. Now that I have some general idea I have shortlisted around 6 universities which would be good for International Business.

I gave my IGCSEs in Switzerland and got the following result:
Eco:A*
French Foreign Lang:A*
Bus:A
Geo:A
English Lit:A
English First Lang:B
Maths:C :frown:
Physics: D:mad:

I then did my A levels from Pakistan and...:
Law: A
Eco:B
Bus:B

Now considering my results, browsing this forum for a good few hours and googling universities I came up with this list:
-Aston
-Loughborough
-Cardiff
-Manchester
-Sheffield
-Birmingham

I also noticed unis like loughborough, Sheffield want a B in Math so I'm planning on taking AS maths and AS IT to develop on my technical side and also hopefully sort out the maths problem and keep myself busy!
Sorry for the very long post but I wanted you to know my exact position before helping me out :smile:
Reply 1
Now should I consider Manchester as a serious choice even though their typical offer for International Managment is at AAA/AAB! and they want an A in maths and English at GCSE!!!...? Cause according to most people its got a very good reputation.
Since I'm an international student I must also consider accomodation costs and ofcourse quality.. since I'll be spending long periods away from home.
So which Universities you think I should consider applying to?
Reply 2
This all depends on how much time you have next year. What are your working plans for your gap year? How much free time will you have?

A few things you might want to think about:
- Resitting IGCSE Maths shouldn't be a problem when you are doing AS next year. You should be able to get the grade up to an A.
- Instead of doing IT, maybe resit the English IGCSE (you won't gain that much technically from AS IT)
- Resit some Business Studies modules to get your grade up to an A.

So that would leave you with AAB and A's in Maths and English. That should be enough for Manchester. But you can only do this if you have the free time next year.
Reply 3
Well I don't really have any time issues. I also currently have absolutely no working plans and don't expect any to come up...so that pretty much leaves me free. Infact the main reason im doing some AS subjects is to stay busy while remaining somewhat productive!

About my Maths problem... do you really think I should give AS and IGCSE Maths both again? What about if I just give AS Maths and...say...I get C or above would the universities not fuss about my C in IGCSE and ignore the B requirement....considering I would have done a higher level of Math..?

Another important point...should I even go through the trouble of doing things again considering that besides Manchester I meet the requirements for all the universities listed above... besides for my Maths grade in a couple?
Reply 4
About my Maths problem... do you really think I should give AS and IGCSE Maths both again? What about if I just give AS Maths and...say...I get C or above would the universities not fuss about my C in IGCSE and ignore the B requirement....considering I would have done a higher level of Math..?

If the universities require a higher Maths grade at IGCSE, then you should resit as well as taking AS.
Another important point...should I even go through the trouble of doing things again considering that besides Manchester I meet the requirements for all the universities listed above... besides for my Maths grade in a couple?

This depends how much you want to go to Manchester.

One more thing: seeing as you have loads of free time, how about doing French AS alongside Maths, this will help when you apply for International Business.
Reply 5
hmmm thanks for the reply RJA. Im thinking I'll resit IGCSE Maths and give AS Maths in May. This way i'll solve all the maths problems once and for all.
French AS is also a good idea but i'll have to check if the school here offers it or not..they most likely don't though. Anyways most universities seem to have classes to continue french from different levels as part of their international business course which is a major plus point of the course..I could also go to france for my placement/year abroad.
The thing is I don't know too much about Manchester. I just heard it has a good reputation. Aston seems ideal to me because of its requirements and I.Bus. course.
What do you think about my university list? Is there any university I should replace? Any other universities with a good reputation in Business I should consider??
Thanks
regents business school in london?
Reply 7
listen to cky
regents business school in london?

I just checked out their website. they university looks pretty good. But it's 10,600 pounds tuition fees and living costs of around 180 pounds a week in London according to their website is seriously too much. In about 12,000 a year I could pay tuition fee and accomodation for some of the non-private universities since most aren't over 9000 pounds a year.
But i'll definitely keep it in mind...

Latest

Trending

Trending