The Student Room Group

I'm in a geographical dilemma (GCSE)

Ok, so I've just done my GCSE's, feeling confident about the topics I'm hoping to take on at AS level and even the ones that I absolutely detest (chemistry, biology, etc.). However, I'm not entirely sure about Geography, and it's worrying because it's a subject that I'm interested in.

In my controlled assessment I managed to get an A/B grade which I'm hoping will give me a boost of around 20%. I feel as though I did well on the physical geography paper also, but what I'm most anxious about it the human geography paper. I managed to miss out an entire section and automatically loose 24 marks! I realised too late and it's had me feeling worried for weeks now. The answers I gave for the rest of the human paper were decently answered due to hardcore revision, but it still leaves me feeling at a loss. I'm hoping for a B overall, but with that slip on the second paper I don't know what to think. Help?

Original post by HarryMart1n
Ok, so I've just done my GCSE's, feeling confident about the topics I'm hoping to take on at AS level and even the ones that I absolutely detest (chemistry, biology, etc.). However, I'm not entirely sure about Geography, and it's worrying because it's a subject that I'm interested in.

In my controlled assessment I managed to get an A/B grade which I'm hoping will give me a boost of around 20%. I feel as though I did well on the physical geography paper also, but what I'm most anxious about it the human geography paper. I managed to miss out an entire section and automatically loose 24 marks! I realised too late and it's had me feeling worried for weeks now. The answers I gave for the rest of the human paper were decently answered due to hardcore revision, but it still leaves me feeling at a loss. I'm hoping for a B overall, but with that slip on the second paper I don't know what to think. Help?

Hey, just going to pop this in geography for you. :smile: What's done is done, so try not to stress about it. :smile: One fudged exam is not the end of the world. :smile: I promise! :hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hey, just going to pop this in geography for you. :smile: What's done is done, so try not to stress about it. :smile: One fudged exam is not the end of the world. :smile: I promise! :hugs:

Thanks for that, I'm fairly new to this site :smile: Aha, thank you for the support! Much appreciated :colondollar:
Reply 3

missing out a whole section could affect your grade, however it shouldn't prevent you from doing a level geography. not sure about your college/sixth form but mine didn't ask for a particular grade in geography, in fact they didn't even ask for you to study it at gcse. if you are interested then go for it. geography is one of those subjects where a real interest can lead to you doing really well
Reply 4
Original post by tgwktm
missing out a whole section could affect your grade, however it shouldn't prevent you from doing a level geography. not sure about your college/sixth form but mine didn't ask for a particular grade in geography, in fact they didn't even ask for you to study it at gcse. if you are interested then go for it. geography is one of those subjects where a real interest can lead to you doing really well

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, it would just be a shame because I've done well in geography exams in the past. It's the same at the college I'm hoping to go to also, I guess I'm shaken off by the thought of disappointment of my teachers really :frown:

Anyway, thank you! :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah, I've been thinking about that, it would just be a shame because I've done well in geography exams in the past. It's the same at the college I'm hoping to go to also, I guess I'm shaken off by the thought of disappointment of my teachers really :frown:

Anyway, thank you! :smile:

do you need any particular grade to do A level geography?
don't worry about having one bad exam, everyone no matter how talented they are has bad days where they just mess up. i usually get A's on my A level geography essays but once out of nowhere i got a D, shook me up a bit but i moved on and forgot about it
Reply 6
Original post by tgwktm
do you need any particular grade to do A level geography?
don't worry about having one bad exam, everyone no matter how talented they are has bad days where they just mess up. i usually get A's on my A level geography essays but once out of nowhere i got a D, shook me up a bit but i moved on and forgot about it

I know the feeling :confused: Thanks a lot for your support, I'm just hoping to really hammer it home that I can learn from this. :smile:

Quick Reply