The Student Room Group

Benefits and Loans

I am a single mum and as of september I will be studying at Bath Spa on a full time degree course.
My question is this: Will I be able to claim housing benefit (as I do now) even though I will be studying not working and will be receiving student loans?
Thanks
Reply 1
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/benefits_w/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm

The answer is usually no; you cant claim benefits, includng housing benefits, if you are a full time student. Only exeption is if one of the following applies to you:

you are under 21 and on a course below degree level
you get Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
you get Universal Credit, unless your Universal Credit includes an amount for housing costs
you are a single parent
you are disabled
you and your partner are both full-time students and you have dependent children.
If you are a full-time student but your partner is not, check if your partner could make the Housing Benefit claim instead of you.
Moved to Money and Finance

Some of your loan will be disregarded (ignored) for benefit purposes. Your tuition fee loan is completely ignored and so will the special support grant if you're entitled to it.
Original post by Jenx301
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/benefits_w/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm

The answer is usually no; you cant claim benefits, includng housing benefits, if you are a full time student. Only exeption is if one of the following applies to you:

you are under 21 and on a course below degree level
you get Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
you get Universal Credit, unless your Universal Credit includes an amount for housing costs
you are a single parent
you are disabled
you and your partner are both full-time students and you have dependent children.
If you are a full-time student but your partner is not, check if your partner could make the Housing Benefit claim instead of you.

So, as a single mum, the OP qualifies then?
Reply 4
Original post by balotelli12
So, as a single mum, the OP qualifies then?

I assume so
It depends on her income.
Assuming you are not working as well, as a parent you will be able to claim housing benefit, and when you apply for CTC you don't need to mention your student grant/bursary as it is not counted as income. Bath Spa also offer a special bursary, so you may want to look into that. (I've just finished my first year there and I've got 4 kids, so I know how stressful it can all be!) What are you studying?
Reply 7
Hello guys,

Thank you so much for replying. I am really struggling with this. I have spoken with the council today and they have said that I will NOT be entitled to housing benefit.
To clarify : I am and will be a single parent who does not work (currently receiving ESA) and will be unable to work once Uni starts as its a full time degree miles from home so I will need take travel time into account also. Student finance have confirmed that I will receive Maintenance Loan at £5,950 or similar. The housing benefit person said that if I receive the maintenance loan then I will NOT be entitled to housing benefit. Now, this makes sense to me but unfortunately means that I cannot afford to go to Uni because of the huge travel costs involved. I realise this is not the problem of the government but it is a huge disappointment to me. Really hoping that I can find some answers that mean I will be able to fulfil my dream of Uni.

So sorry it took so long to reply to this thread - I currently do not have a computer so am logging in at friends and family until I can afford to replace mine.

Many MANY thanks for all of your responses.
Lucy
I've been in the same position and it seems there's no set answer one way or the other.
When I asked at my local council they said as a single parent in Full Time ed @ Uni I would be entitled to a top up of Housing benefit and discounted council Tax benefit.

You also get single patents Living Allowance as a grant through student finance too, although its not much every little helps.
Reply 9
Hello everyone
Thank you to all. I have now had written information from the council along with an estimate as to how much I may be entitled to receive. A huge relief I must say.
I had to fight to get them to look at it though!

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending