The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 23rd June 2014 - OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VannR
Pretty sure that one of those 0's should be a 1 (I'm assuming that you did the Edexcel FP3 non-R paper). Thing is is that (0 0 0) is the zero vector, and therefore cannot actually be an eigenvector of the matrix. You should have set one of the variables to 1, instead of 0.

I agree with this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VannR
Pretty sure that one of those 0's should be a 1 (I'm assuming that you did the Edexcel FP3 non-R paper). Thing is is that (0 0 0) is the zero vector, and therefore cannot actually be an eigenvector of the matrix. You should have set one of the variables to 1, instead of 0.

Ughhhhhh no, I'm so stupid. -_- How many marks would I lose for that? Also, estimates for grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How poorly can one do and get ~30 ums?

Posted from TSR Mobile
yo that was impossible . That reduction formula was unsolvable i swear
Original post by wildleaves
yo that was impossible . That reduction formula was unsolvable i swear

So glad I'm not the only one! Hardest fp3 paper I've done :frown:
Reply 25
I got the reduction formula, but it was quite a difficult paper
Reply 26
Waaaaaaait, there was a replacement paper?!?! I did the regular FP3 which was quite decent apart from one stupid question!
Is it just me or have all of edexcel's papers been like a thousand times more difficult this year???!!!
Reply 28
did anyone else get y=-9/4x for question 5??? no idea if it's right but it's my only hope as i ****ed up on 9a :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by FibonacciPigeon
Is it just me or have all of edexcel's papers been like a thousand times more difficult this year???!!!

Compared with the the past papers, I totally agree with you. 2014 has been a tough year.
Original post by VannR
Compared with the the past papers, I totally agree with you. 2014 has been a tough year.

Glad I'm not the only one... This years grade boundaries will make for interesting reading...
Reply 31
Original post by sjc1996
did anyone else get y=-9/4x for question 5??? no idea if it's right but it's my only hope as i ****ed up on 9a :frown:

I think i got y= -(4/9m)x but i can't really remember exactly, they asked you to find k in terms of m right?
Reply 32
The things I could not do:

9a). Had a decent stab at it, though. I think I was getting close, but I got confused. Perhaps 2-3 out of 5 for that one.
Pretty much all of 6. Probably only got about 2-3 method marks on that one. The weird trig in that one just stumped me :frown:
The one where you had to show that 1-tanh^2(x) = sech^2(x). Got most of the way there, and then I just lost the thread.

How about the rest of you guys?
(edited 9 years ago)
Q6 was bloody weird.
Reply 34
Original post by lilac12
I think i got y= -(4/9m)x but i can't really remember exactly, they asked you to find k in terms of m right?

yeah they asked for k in terms of m... i think someone i knew got -4/9m x too so probably right... i just wanna cry
Reply 35
Was question 6 the reduction formula one?
Original post by VannR

9a)
Pretty much all of 6. Probably only got about 2-3 method marks on that one. The weird trig in that one just stumped me :frown:
The one where you had to show that 1-tanh^2(x) = sech^2(x). Got most of the way there, and then I just lost the thread.

So many questions got skipped... Did you use exponential functions to work out the show that?
Reply 37
Original post by FibonacciPigeon
So many questions got skipped... Did you use exponential functions to work out the show that?

Yeah. I was almost there apart from a spurious '+2' on the denominator that stopped me from completing my answer. Checked for signing errors in my expansion, but I could not find one :rolleyes:
Reply 38
Original post by VannR

9a). Had a decent stab at it, though. I think I was getting close, but I got confused. Perhaps 2-3 out of 5 for that one.

basically the two questions i couldn't do were 5c and 9a. I did get an answer for 5c but pretty sure it's wrong, and again maybe picked up a couple of marks for method on 9a. Didn't have time to check the others so could've made mistakes and lost marks there :/
Original post by VannR
Yeah. I was almost there apart from a spurious '+2' on the denominator that stopped me from completing my answer. Checked for signing errors in my expansion, but I could not find one :rolleyes:

:/ may the method and follow through marks be forever in our favour..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending