The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Pros/cons of living on campus vs. off campus

Hey so I'm moving to York in September and I've got a couple of questions about the living situation there.

I am basically trying to decide whether to live at Wentworth college or to live off campus. I'm american so I'm not really familiar with the way typical students in the UK live while in school.

Wentworth:
Pros
1) 5 minute walk from my main classroom building.
2) I would have my own bedroom/bathroom. This is pretty important to me because sometimes I just need my alone time.
3) Meal plan so I don't have to worry about cooking and stuff

Cons-
1) Sounds kind of far from the city center?
2) Really expensive at 131.18/week

Off-campus
Pros:
1) Not tied down to 51-weeks?
2) Cheaper - how much so?

Cons:
1) 20-25 minute walk from class
2) I feel like it's not as "stable" in that something could come up and I might have to move out and find a new place while I'm in the middle of my course.
3) You have to pay for utilities and furnishing and stuff.

Any one have anything to chime in on this?
Reply 1
It's not too far from the city centre, there are regular buses and you can walk it in like 20-25 minutes if you have a brisk pace.

As for living somewhere else; prices range, im paying £80 a week next year, that's nearer the higher end. You generally don't have to spend money on furnishing, and some houses include utilities in the rent. It takes me 25 minutes to walk to campus and I'm on a fairly intensive course, and I didn't have a problem with it.

Living off campus isn't really a hassle, but living on campus is very easy and has almost no drawbacks imo, apart from the price (plus easier to meet people).
University of York
York

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending