The Student Room Group

Will these choices get me into a Russel Group university?

I am taking History, English Lit, Government & Politics and Economics at A Level (I am currently in Year 12). I really want to drop English Lit after AS level, but I am worried that I won't be able to get into a Russel Group university without it, since History and English are the only facilitating subjects I am taking. However, I'm not sure if I could get a good grade in it at A Level, I think I'd really struggle to get an A, whereas I am fairly confident I could get straight A's in the other three.

I want to study History and am going to apply for York, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham and Warwick; will I be able to get in with History, Politics and Economics? Or should I drop Economics instead?
Those subjects are completely fine, there's no need to worry. If you're applying for a specific course, it might be worthwhile you viewing the course page to see if they have specific requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only thing you'll need to be careful of is that History and Government & Politics are considered very similar subjects by some universities. They may want three 'different' subjects - in which case, you would need to keep English Literature. If those particular universities accept History and Government & Politics as different subjects, then you would be fine to drop English Literature, because all four of your subjects are fairly well respected.
Reply 3
There fine I would have thought to do history at most universities they just ask for history maybe you should look at some and see if they require English to do it.
Reply 4
No problems whatsoever.

Anyone who tells you otherwise overstates the importance of facilitating subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest