The Student Room Group

International relations uni students and 2015 applicants

Hi,
Just got a load of questions on my mind about this course that i have wanted to study my whole life (no exaggeration) !

To 2015 applicants;
what uni's are you considering and why ?
what a levels have you taken?
Are you going to take 4 subjects in year 13 or are you dropping one ?
and what are you most worried about (e.g getting the grades, the personal statement) ?

To IR uni students;
what uni do/did you go to ?
what a level subjects did you take?
did you undertake any work experience relevant to IR? because its SO hard to find a placement relevant !
are you enjoying the course?
what books would you recommend to year 12/13 to increase their knowledge about the subject?
did you have to have an interview for the uni?
and what did you do to show the uni that you were interested in this course?!

So many questions so sorry but it would be great to a few answered. would be extremely helpful !

Thanks !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JW student
Hi,
Just got a load of questions on my mind about this course that i have wanted to study my whole life (no exaggeration) !

To 2015 applicants;
and what are you most worried about (e.g getting the grades, the personal statement) ?

To IR uni students;
did you undertake any work experience relevant to IR? because its SO hard to find a placement relevant !
what books would you recommend to year 12/13 to increase their knowledge about the subject?

So many questions so sorry but it would be great to a few answered. would be extremely helpful !

Thanks !

Just finished at UEA
Took History, Politics, RS to A2 and Psychology AS
No, I did spend a week with a local MP though
Yes I loved it for the most part
There isn't anything I can really think of, most people come in having not studied any IR before, it isn't a problem. I'd just read the Economist and the New Statesmen before I started
No, no-where interviews for IR normally
Talked about my biggest areas of interest (the EU and the Cold War), talked about how my subjects helped prepare me, talked about the magazines I'd read
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Just finished at UEA
Took History, Politics, RS to A2 and Psychology AS
No, I did spend a week with a local MP though
Yes I loved it for the most part
There isn't anything I can really think of, most people come in having not studied any IR before, it isn't a problem. I'd just read the Economist and the New Statesmen before I started
No, no-where interviews for IR normally
Talked about my biggest areas of interest (the EU and the Cold War), talked about how my subjects helped prepare me, talked about the magazines I'd read

Ah great thanks for the reply! Thats relived me a bit actually, thanks ! :smile::smile:
Reply 3
Is International Relations an elitist degree? People seem to not take me seriously when I say I'll be doing it at St. A's...
Reply 4
Original post by LSE1996
Is International Relations an elitist degree? People seem to not take me seriously when I say I'll be doing it at St. A's...

If there is a definitively best place for IR in the UK, you got into it.

Congratulations.
Hi,

To 2015 applicants;

To IR uni students;

Thanks !

Hi, I'm applying for 2015 entry and am currently looking at Exeter, Reading (IR and also the War, conflict and IR course), York, Swansea and Plymouth. Exeter and York are quite well regarded for IR, I love Reading and know the city as I have family there so there's also someone to contact in case of an emergency but the IR course has high student satisfaction and Plymouth and Swansea as I just like the unis and location and the grades aren't that high to get in.

For AS levels I took English Language (I got an A), psychology (A), history (C) and maths (E). I'm dropping maths as I hated it and honestly don't know why I took it in the first place.

I'm really worried about grades especially history - nobody in my year at my sixth form got higher than a C in their AS exam and I need a B at the very least. I was planning to study history with international relations but due to my history grade I'm looking at a straight IR degree now. More generally, I'm also worried about how the hell I'm going to afford uni!

Also when people say it isn't a good/useful degree, it depends what you want to do. I want to work for the ministry of defence security services or go into the military so hopefully it'll help me with this.

Hope this helped - I'm glad there's someone who has the same questions as me too haha :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by WheresIndia
Hi, I'm applying for 2015 entry and am currently looking at Exeter, Reading (IR and also the War, conflict and IR course), York, Swansea and Plymouth. Exeter and York are quite well regarded for IR, I love Reading and know the city as I have family there so there's also someone to contact in case of an emergency but the IR course has high student satisfaction and Plymouth and Swansea as I just like the unis and location and the grades aren't that high to get in.

For AS levels I took English Language (I got an A), psychology (A), history (C) and maths (E). I'm dropping maths as I hated it and honestly don't know why I took it in the first place.

I'm really worried about grades especially history - nobody in my year at my sixth form got higher than a C in their AS exam and I need a B at the very least. I was planning to study history with international relations but due to my history grade I'm looking at a straight IR degree now. More generally, I'm also worried about how the hell I'm going to afford uni!

Also when people say it isn't a good/useful degree, it depends what you want to do. I want to work for the ministry of defence security services or go into the military so hopefully it'll help me with this.

Hope this helped - I'm glad there's someone who has the same questions as me too haha :smile:

Yeah im in the exact same situation regarding history grade !! i got a C in AS which im so angry about because i too needed a B at the least (also because i worked super hard for history too :frown::mad:)

but yeah my AS grades have got me worried too ! i haven't spoken to anyone in my year about their history grade. But Im pissed off thats for sure. means year 13 history is going to be a whole lot more stressful !

ive heard many say that about the subject but like you said it depends on what you want to do with it. i hope you eventually come to a conclusion with what uni's you're going to apply to haha:smile: and yeah thanks this was helpful and reassuring - that im not the only one worried about history.
Reply 7
Hi,

To 2015 applicants;

I'm not strictly an IR appllicant, but seeing as I'm generally applying for Politics and IR I figured I'd show my face, so to speak :wink:

1. Have 3 definites - Warwick, Exeter and York all for Politics and IR - and then not sure for the others, looking at Bath, Bristol, Newcastle, Nottingham and Sheffield.

2. Took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Politics. AAAB at AS, with the B in Politics but pending a remark - I'd take a B though :smile:

3. Dropping Further Maths or Physics, not sure yet but leaning towards Physics.

4. Personal statement mainly. I need AAA-AAB which should be achievable and my predicted grades are A*AA, but the personal statement is a real challenge because I'm too honest. Plus it's difficult to find relevant work experience.
I'm thinking of applying to international relations too. I'm looking into LSE, Kings, Bath, Bristol, Nottingham, Birmingham and Warwick, as I want to have a wide range of options before I choose my top uni's. I take History, Geography, Human Biology, English Literature and Critical Thinking (and general studies is compulsory at my college). I'm dropping English Literature, and I think I am most worried about standing out in my personal statement. Has anyone got some really relevant work experience ideas they suggest looking in to? Thanks :smile:
I got ABCD in my AS levels, A in Business, B in Politics, C in Economics (A and E in the exams) and a D in History, dropped History and I'm looking to apply to do an international relations course, but I'm not sure if I'm being realistic with my choices? (Birmingham, Reading, Leeds)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm just about to start IR at Durham. I was drawn there mainly by the course. The compulsory first year modules offer far more interesting topics than other IR courses imo. The three are;
-International security, interdependence and organisation
- Global Regions in IR
- Theory and history in IR

I took History, Geography and Latin at A level, and took an EPQ as well. I actually missed my AAA offer and got AAB (thanks to a ridiculously hard Latin paper), but luckily I was let in anyway. I got the impression that if you only just missed your offer, Durham genuinely wanted to still keep you if at all possible (everything is subject to quotas etc). Something to maybe bear in mind.

Didn't have any work experience mentioned in my personal statement. I read a few books to put on my personal statement. I read Sandstorm by Lindsey Hilsum about Libya, one by George Mitchell about chairing the peace talks in Northern Ireland, and a global politics textbook by Andrew Heywood (a teacher managed to lend me that one). The books don't really matter though, just take a book about a region that you are interested in, read it and talk about it coherently in your personal statement.

If at all possible, take an EPQ. It gives you loads to talk about in your personal statement not just from a knowledge point of view, but the independent learning aspect is also greatly valued.

No interview.
Reply 11
Hi,
I've dropped history, however I'm now quite worried as apparently most universities expect politics and international relations applicants to have studied History at A2 level. If anyone can help me out or try calming my nerves, that would be great! (Fyi, I'm taking literature, geography and spanish as my A2 subjects)
Reply 12
Original post by oscast
Hi,
I've dropped history, however I'm now quite worried as apparently most universities expect politics and international relations applicants to have studied History at A2 level. If anyone can help me out or try calming my nerves, that would be great! (Fyi, I'm taking literature, geography and spanish as my A2 subjects)

It should be fine. I didn't even do History GCSE and from speaking to staff at open days they all said that it's more important to have good grades and a good personal statement than any specific subjects. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Kandyan
It should be fine. I didn't even do History GCSE and from speaking to staff at open days they all said that it's more important to have good grades and a good personal statement than any specific subjects. :smile:

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Oli95
I'm just about to start IR at Durham. I was drawn there mainly by the course. The compulsory first year modules offer far more interesting topics than other IR courses imo. The three are;
-International security, interdependence and organisation
- Global Regions in IR
- Theory and history in IR

I took History, Geography and Latin at A level, and took an EPQ as well. I actually missed my AAA offer and got AAB (thanks to a ridiculously hard Latin paper), but luckily I was let in anyway. I got the impression that if you only just missed your offer, Durham genuinely wanted to still keep you if at all possible (everything is subject to quotas etc). Something to maybe bear in mind.

Didn't have any work experience mentioned in my personal statement. I read a few books to put on my personal statement. I read Sandstorm by Lindsey Hilsum about Libya, one by George Mitchell about chairing the peace talks in Northern Ireland, and a global politics textbook by Andrew Heywood (a teacher managed to lend me that one). The books don't really matter though, just take a book about a region that you are interested in, read it and talk about it coherently in your personal statement.

If at all possible, take an EPQ. It gives you loads to talk about in your personal statement not just from a knowledge point of view, but the independent learning aspect is also greatly valued.

No interview.

What were your AS grades may I ask?
Hi,

I need help! Please
I am planning to apply for International Relations with Economics at University of Birmingham.
At first, I was planning to study International Relations only, however, I picked International Relations with Ecnomics as it contained various economical aspect, and would maybe contingently increase my job chances. I heard that International Relation student often work for NGO's. however i want to work for the Foreign Service or embassies , and I heard that many who work for Foreign Service have degrees in economics. I like International Relations, but would like to get a prestigious job, therefore I am considering this course.

Is anyone studying this course at birmingham? if yes please reply whether it is enjoyable.
Reply 16
I'm applying for Politics and international relations but i'm really confused abut where to apply.
I've been predicted an AAA and I have a fairly strong personal statement.

I'm planning on applying to Bath, Exeter, York, Birmingham and either Sheffield or Bristol.

The reason why I cant decide between Sheffield and Bristol is because I think that I should play it safe and apply to 3 unis with an aab-abb offer but I really want to go to bristol but its an AAA.

Please help!
Reply 17
Original post by jj225
I'm applying for Politics and international relations but i'm really confused abut where to apply.
I've been predicted an AAA and I have a fairly strong personal statement.

I'm planning on applying to Bath, Exeter, York, Birmingham and either Sheffield or Bristol.

The reason why I cant decide between Sheffield and Bristol is because I think that I should play it safe and apply to 3 unis with an aab-abb offer but I really want to go to bristol but its an AAA.

Please help!

If you're predicted those grades and have got a good personal statement, then you might as well go for Bristol. Personally, I'd swap Bristol for either York or Exeter as those ask for fairly high entry requirements, and it gives you the chance to also apply to Sheffield. I loved Bristol when I visited it and it's definitely worth applying to, as is Sheffield.
Reply 18
Original post by oscast
If you're predicted those grades and have got a good personal statement, then you might as well go for Bristol. Personally, I'd swap Bristol for either York or Exeter as those ask for fairly high entry requirements, and it gives you the chance to also apply to Sheffield. I loved Bristol when I visited it and it's definitely worth applying to, as is Sheffield.

Thanks! Surprisingly, Yorks entry requirements are AAB!(yay!)
Exeter has an AAA offer which is why Im going to have to decide between bristol and exeter as I have been advised to only apply for 2 AAA courses so that I 'play it safe'. Im just so confused because I really want to apply to 3 unis that have AAA as their entry requirement instead of 2 :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Original post by jj225
Thanks! Surprisingly, Yorks entry requirements are AAB!(yay!)
Exeter has an AAA offer which is why Im going to have to decide between bristol and exeter as I have been advised to only apply for 2 AAA courses so that I 'play it safe'. Im just so confused because I really want to apply to 3 unis that have AAA as their entry requirement instead of 2 :s-smilie:

I'm in a similar situation as well. I'm probably going to end up applying to Newcastle, Bristol and Durham (AAA), and probably Sheffield (AAB) and Southampton (ABB) as back ups. I'm in a slightly better situation as I've got predicted A*AA, however my AS grades weren't the greatest.
Have you visited Bristol and Exeter? If you haven't, I'd recommend doing so as I thought I'd have Exeter as my first choice and absolutely hated it after visiting it! On the other hand, I absolutely loved Bristol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending