The Student Room Group

Does anyone else change channel when the national anthem comes on?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leedswest
Well you're free to move to another country, maybe one that you don't know the language of the anthem? I'm sure the other 27 EU states will welcome you.

Well you're not going to go to the effort of moving to a different country just because you don't like the national anthem lol...
Personally I think we should replace out national anthem with the Pink Panther theme tune.
Reply 22
Only when the English anthem comes on.
No. The English national anthem is boring but I love watching some of the others - France, Italy, Germany in particular.
Be thankful you don't live in America then - can you imagine having to pledge allegiance to the flag and to god every morning in school?
Original post by RtGOAT
I can't listen to that crap. It makes me feel sick, even worse when people sing along like royal worshiping muppets.

It really needs changing to something that people can actually sing and mean.

i feel ill when i read treasonable rubbish like this. you are not worthy to clean up the corgis' droppings.
It's terrible, dirge-like. That's why no-one can ever sing it with any enthusiasm. It saps the joy from you. It's as though it were written to be mumbled tunelessly.

We should have I Vow to Thee, My Country (lyricised Jupiter by Holst) instead.
(edited 9 years ago)
I hate all anthems. A load or tribalistic nonsense for neanderthals.
Reply 28
Hmmm. So you think we should also get rid of the national anthem now as well :confused:

Just how much further do people want Britain to get rid of its patriotism -__- If it makes Brits proud, then why not... Just because non-british people live here, doesn't mean we have to abolish it to please THEM
Reply 30
Original post by emy-n
Hmmm. So you think we should also get rid of the national anthem now as well :confused:

Just how much further do people want Britain to get rid of its patriotism -__- If it makes Brits proud, then why not... Just because non-british people live here, doesn't mean we have to abolish it to please THEM

On the contrary I think we should have a national anthem that is patriotic, one that every Brit can relate to.

A song about the queen is not that.
Reply 31
Definitely no. I stand straight for the anthem on each channel.
I once stood up when I heard the national anthem on a TRAIN by accident, and sang along. The other passengers told me that I have no trouble with the bill on the anthem. This happened because of something before the 2015 National Day, when the choir (including myself) sang the anthem while the orchestra accompanied us, the last time this happened in my school.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest