The Student Room Group

Postgraduate applicants for 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kalivha
I'm doing a Masters at Warwick starting in September, and will probably re-apply for PhDs at Cambridge, Imperial and TCD for physics and Soton for chemistry/maths (they're all the same topic, but are housed in random departments). Also considering applying to Edinburgh Uni and TU Munich for Analysis, and if I ever have enough cash for the GRE there are a couple of places in the US that also look quite interesting. Well, I'll stagger applications again.

Applications should go a lot better than this year because I've learned from interviews (they improved progressively!) and am now published. I figure the PGCert I somehow scraped and that Master's should also help. :smile:

Don't forget St Andrews - brilliant for Physics.
Original post by Ivanka
Thanks :smile: In which college are you and what do you study?

I do maths and computer science at Exeter College :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
I was hoping someone here could help me get an idea of my chances of getting into the London School of Economics Fall 2015.

Here's my background:

- US Citizen
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, minor in French, from Wake Forest University (Top 25 Uni in the US)
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.3/4.0
- Studied Abroad in Paris, France Spring 2011, and in Shanghai, China, Summer 2011
- Have lived abroad in Paris and in Tokyo, been to over 50 countries
- Will have 3+ years of work experience by Fall 2015
- Experience as a research intern at a prestigious think tank in DC; as a proposal (grants) writer at a consulting firm; and now as a research analyst at a prestigious research institution in DC

I applied for the International Development and Humanitarian Emergencies program as my First Choice, and the International Relations as my Second Choice, for Fall 2014, and was denied admission. I'd really like to apply again - my heart is set on LSE. Can anyone here give me an idea of what I should do to make my application stand out?
Original post by sp0429
been to over 50 countries

Bleeding heck, how have you managed that?

Sorry though, I can't help you much with your LSE reapplication. Have you tried the LSE board here on TSR? It'd probably be helpful to contact some current students on the course you're interested in. Also if you are in the UK at any point you might be able to meet with an academic involved in the course to discuss your suitability and any advice.
Reply 24
Original post by LtCommanderData
Bleeding heck, how have you managed that?

Sorry though, I can't help you much with your LSE reapplication. Have you tried the LSE board here on TSR? It'd probably be helpful to contact some current students on the course you're interested in. Also if you are in the UK at any point you might be able to meet with an academic involved in the course to discuss your suitability and any advice.

Haha - I blame my dad! I've been really lucky and that's why I see myself wanting to go to school outside of the US. Thanks for your suggestion! I've posted over on the LSE thread so hopefully I get some help there. Good call on speaking with students and/or academics. Appreciate it!
Original post by sp0429
Haha - I blame my dad! I've been really lucky and that's why I see myself wanting to go to school outside of the US. Thanks for your suggestion! I've posted over on the LSE thread so hopefully I get some help there. Good call on speaking with students and/or academics. Appreciate it!

The only thing I can say is that your GPA seems on the low end for postgraduate applications and that is what might be holding you back. If your work experience is relevant to international development, though, that should help with your admissions. Unfortunately as you know, LSE is very competitive and receives numerous applications from around the world. It might just have been that last year they only picked the applicants with the very top grades in their pool.
Reply 26
Original post by punctuation
The only thing I can say is that your GPA seems on the low end for postgraduate applications and that is what might be holding you back. If your work experience is relevant to international development, though, that should help with your admissions. Unfortunately as you know, LSE is very competitive and receives numerous applications from around the world. It might just have been that last year they only picked the applicants with the very top grades in their pool.

Thank you for the insight! I want to find a way to prevent my GPA from holding me back. Do you have any guidance as to specifics LSE Admissions may be looking for in a CV, Letter of Recommendation, or Personal Statement that may help my cause?
Original post by sp0429
Thank you for the insight! I want to find a way to prevent my GPA from holding me back. Do you have any guidance as to specifics LSE Admissions may be looking for in a CV, Letter of Recommendation, or Personal Statement that may help my cause?

I'm sorry if this is obvious to you already, but it's worth noting that, at least at undergrad level, personal statements and things like that tend to be very different in the UK compared to the US, so do make sure you get a chance to talk it through with someone familiar with the UK system and expectations before applying again! Did you manage to get any feedback on why you got rejected last time?
Reply 28
I do maths and computer science at Exeter College :smile:

Do you know anything about computational linguistics at Oxford?
Original post by sp0429
I was hoping someone here could help me get an idea of my chances of getting into the London School of Economics Fall 2015.

Here's my background:

I applied for the International Development and Humanitarian Emergencies program as my First Choice, and the International Relations as my Second Choice, for Fall 2014, and was denied admission. I'd really like to apply again - my heart is set on LSE. Can anyone here give me an idea of what I should do to make my application stand out?

As has already been mentioned, the criteria looked for in Uk and US admissions are very different and it could well be that your personal statements etc. were a big stumbling block, especailly if you presented yourself in the same way as you've presented yourself here.

For admission, much of what you've told us is irrelevant.

- US Citizen - Great, more money for LSE, but it won't make a difference to your chances.
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, minor in French, from Wake Forest University (Top 25 Uni in the US) - Major is in right subject; they will ignore your minor and University, in all likelihood
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.3/4.0 - This is the biggest problem because LSE say explicitly (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/informationForInternationalStudents/countryRegion/northAmerica/USA/entryRequirements.aspx) that 3.5 is the minimum GPA required and in reality most of the successful applicants will have significantly higher grades than this, in the 3.7/3.8 range. It will take a huge amount for them to overlook this.
- Studied Abroad in Paris, France Spring 2011, and in Shanghai, China, Summer 2011 - This is irrelevant.
- Have lived abroad in Paris and in Tokyo, been to over 50 countries - This is irrelevant.
- Will have 3+ years of work experience by Fall 2015 - This is irrelevant, except that work experience which is directly related to the programme you're applying for.
- Experience as a research intern at a prestigious think tank in DC; as a proposal (grants) writer at a consulting firm; and now as a research analyst at a prestigious research institution in DC - This is your one (long) shot at overcoming those grades and it very much depends on how relevant the think tank and research institution are to your proposed area of study. You want to do International Development and Humanitarian Emergencies, so if you were researching at a development think tank and are currently analysising responses to humanitarian emergancies - great! Stress that in the application, stress the knowledge and experience you have gained through it which makes up for those grades and stress how the course at LSE can build on that; you just might have a chance. If you were an intern at a domestic political think tank and are now an analyst for a financial research institution, it will be much harder.

I'm sorry if some of that seems harsh, but LSE is very competitive and the only real chance you have is to place as much emphasis as you can on how the work experience you have has prepared you for the course and makes up for the low grades. LSE don't care how well rounded you are, how well traveled or about any of your life story. You're a brain on a stick and the only relevant considerations are you ability to perform well on the course. That's what you have to prove in your application.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by sp0429

Here's my background:

- US Citizen
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, minor in French, from Wake Forest University (Top 25 Uni in the US)
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.3/4.0
- Studied Abroad in Paris, France Spring 2011, and in Shanghai, China, Summer 2011
- Have lived abroad in Paris and in Tokyo, been to over 50 countries
- Will have 3+ years of work experience by Fall 2015
- Experience as a research intern at a prestigious think tank in DC; as a proposal (grants) writer at a consulting firm; and now as a research analyst at a prestigious research institution in DC

LSE really takes well to experience as part of the application due to their emphasis on placement after the degree. With your background, international exposure and work experience, you stand a pretty good chance. How do I know this? Quite a few of my graduating class went on to LSE for the MSc/MAs.
I'm sorry if this is obvious to you already, but it's worth noting that, at least at undergrad level, personal statements and things like that tend to be very different in the UK compared to the US, so do make sure you get a chance to talk it through with someone familiar with the UK system and expectations before applying again! Did you manage to get any feedback on why you got rejected last time?

Your right, it is different at postgraduate level, the focus is still on what is relevant to the course, not extra curricular stuff.
Original post by sp0429

I didn't apply to LSE but I did make a successful masters application so I can be of some help:

It may be possible that LSE aren't considering applications from those who don't meet the grade requirements so don't pin all your hopes up. The CV for university admissions should normally be an academic one (unless it says otherwise) - I highlighted my best modules and the grades I got in them at the top.
Then for the Personal statement you need to make sure you address the following:
Why that course
Why that university
Why that department

See guidance from Durham along with examples at the bottom of this page:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/careers/s/pgstudy/app/
Reply 33
Original post by jelly1000
I didn't apply to LSE but I did make a successful masters application so I can be of some help:

It may be possible that LSE aren't considering applications from those who don't meet the grade requirements so don't pin all your hopes up. The CV for university admissions should normally be an academic one (unless it says otherwise) - I highlighted my best modules and the grades I got in them at the top.
Then for the Personal statement you need to make sure you address the following:
Why that course
Why that university
Why that department

See guidance from Durham along with examples at the bottom of this page:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/careers/s/pgstudy/app/

Thanks everyone!! Harsh it may be, but given that I haven't gone to school outside of the US I need a reality check.

Riddle me this - I was accepted to a few programs for Fall 2014 that I have since deferred to Fall 2015 to save some more money. Programs in question are City University of London's International Politics and Human Rights (1 year program full time), and George Washington University's International Development Studies (2 year program full time).

Would it make sense to see if I can rescind the deferral and start this fall and still apply to LSE for Fall 2015/Fall 2016?

Would it make sense to apply and find a new job that is more in line with actual development work, and still apply to LSE for Fall 2015?

What has become very apparent to me is that my current line of work will take a LOT of spinning in a CV to make it sound remotely relevant.

Many thanks!
Original post by sp0429
Thanks everyone!! Harsh it may be, but given that I haven't gone to school outside of the US I need a reality check.

Riddle me this - I was accepted to a few programs for Fall 2014 that I have since deferred to Fall 2015 to save some more money. Programs in question are City University of London's International Politics and Human Rights (1 year program full time), and George Washington University's International Development Studies (2 year program full time).

Would it make sense to see if I can rescind the deferral and start this fall and still apply to LSE for Fall 2015/Fall 2016?

Would it make sense to apply and find a new job that is more in line with actual development work, and still apply to LSE for Fall 2015?

What has become very apparent to me is that my current line of work will take a LOT of spinning in a CV to make it sound remotely relevant.

Many thanks!

What you need to do first is see if LSE will accept your grades- drop them an email.
Original post by sp0429

Many thanks!

It's good that you're thinking about the options. I wouldn't spend money on a master's programme at those two unis just yet - at worst it will be two years wasted and a lot of potential earnings/experience. If you can find a new job in that line of work, great - however, given that international development master's are so competitive, work experience will be just as competitive (particularly paid work experience). In that time you should email some current students and faculty, admissions, etc. at the programmes of your choice to get a better understanding of what they want out of you and what you can give them.
Reply 36
Back from Olomouc.

I did enjoy the day and I found the city fabulous, although it reminded me Cambridge (as it is situated on a flat landscape, there are parks surrounding the city, also attic buildings within and LOTS OF CYCLISTS). However, Cambridge is just a hole in the middle of nowhere (this was my impression four years ago that finally put me off applying there) compared to Olomouc.

The only worry I have is that I'm not sure if the student life over there would live up to my expectations. I'd like to do the subject, because I love the structure as well as the courses offered (mathematical linguistics, biosemiotics...). Nevertheless, I have no idea about extra-curricular activities. As far as I know, there is some drama and student journalism, but I didn't like the uni's magazine run by students. I'm afraid it's not a lot...and I don't want to be bored at university.

It's true that if I studied in Olomouc (by all means, not my top choice), it would be closer to my parents' home than when I was in London or Granada, but I'm not keen on coming back to my parents' every week just for the sake of having fun if there's no fun at uni. I'd prefer visiting them once a month at most during term time.

You know, I had a bad experience in Granada - almost no student societies and lots of boredom because uni was a place to meet people who you'd get drunk with and occasionally a place to study. I don't want to live like this. I'll have to ask a few people that know the university what it is like there. Hopefully they'll reassure me.
Need to do some more research but I think I'm almost pretty settled on choices :h:
Original post by sp0429

Many thanks!

Although I know next to nothing about development as a sector, I would think that the work experience relevant to your sector is the best thing to do, if you can get it.

The wider questions seems to me to be, why LSE? Do you really want that course so badly that you would fork over another £50k+ in fees and living costs (N.B. this is just a guesstimation) to get a second Masters, just so it's from LSE? If so, I would suggest a long hard look at your motives, because rationally that doesn't seem right.
Original post by ellie.rew
Although I know next to nothing about development as a sector, I would think that the work experience relevant to your sector is the best thing to do, if you can get it.

The wider questions seems to me to be, why LSE? Do you really want that course so badly that you would fork over another £50k+ in fees and living costs (N.B. this is just a guesstimation) to get a second Masters, just so it's from LSE? If so, I would suggest a long hard look at your motives, because rationally that doesn't seem right.

Although it is really expensive, I have to add that LSE is one of the best programmes for this and is well-recognised internationally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending