The Student Room Group

Urgent insurance question for anyone who has studied in France

I'm going to be spending my next year in Toulouse. I've already got rented student accomodation sorted but I'm a bit unsure about insurance. I've bought some travel insurance with Endsleigh but I'm not sure it's going to be enough. Apparantely it is required by French law that I have housing-related insurance which covers burglaries, explosions, fire and water damage called "assurance multirisques habitation". Also I'm told by the accomodation people that I have to have "comprehensive insurance for the accomodation".

My Endsleigh insurance covers me only for £1000 of fire damage which doesn't seem enough! So if you've stayed in France can anybody recommend a company that will give me the insurance I require? Would a UK company be willing to insure a French flat?! Or will I have to get it with a French company, in which case I need a recommendation.

I'm hoping someone can help me ! Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
but I need to show the accomodation people my insurance as soon as I get there.
Reply 2
Hello Acerben, What can I do for you ? :cool:

First of all, don't suscribe for anything until you arrive in France. You'll get some information by your unis there (despite the fact the SU in all French uni are not as improved than in the UK, you'll see...)

Then, I won't translate some words to avoid confusion :
In France, you need to be affiliated to an "organisme de securite sociale etudiante" (LMDE, SMEREP, MGEL... it depends on the region you live in)
And some of these "organismes" provide offers from partnership with insurance company.

For exemple, if you are affiliated to the LMDE, you can suscribe for a 1-year accommodation insurrance of the MATMUT company, which cost 12€ and cover more than the Endsleigh. It's just an exemple.
(and legally, in the private sector _and in students accommodation?_, you have 1 month to get an insurrance, so I think you shouldn't worry)
that works with bank offers too, and etc etc etc.
Voila voila!

Hope that would help you
Reply 3
AcerBen21
I'm going to be spending my next year in Toulouse. I've already got rented student accomodation sorted but I'm a bit unsure about insurance. I've bought some travel insurance with Endsleigh but I'm not sure it's going to be enough. Apparantely it is required by French law that I have housing-related insurance which covers burglaries, explosions, fire and water damage called "assurance multirisques habitation". Also I'm told by the accomodation people that I have to have "comprehensive insurance for the accomodation".

My Endsleigh insurance covers me only for £1000 of fire damage which doesn't seem enough! So if you've stayed in France can anybody recommend a company that will give me the insurance I require? Would a UK company be willing to insure a French flat?! Or will I have to get it with a French company, in which case I need a recommendation.

I'm hoping someone can help me ! Thank you :smile:

I'm in france at the moment trying to sort out all the insurance! There's so much paperwork!

My university has recommended AXA for the housing insurance. It's 12 euros a month. You can just buy it when you get here although you need to open a bank account first. If you go to the Credit Lyonnais (LCL) they will open you an account and the RIB will be ready in 2 days. then you just take that to the axa place and they sort you out. (not that i've managed to do that as the bank have messed up the spelling of my name so i'm having to wait longer grrr...)

hope that helps a bit. depends what city you're going to i guess. I'm in Grenoble and that's what they've recommended here.
Reply 4
Just try to compare, if you wanna pay 12€ monthly or annualy :biggrin:
That principally depends on your room/appartment size and the amount of your goods. AXA is ok if you are planning to share your flat with other people because one AXA insurance covers all of them.

and if you have some time, look at the 2 major consummers magazines : "60 millions de consommateurs" and "Que choisir" (free borrowing in all public libraries in big cities, and not so expensive if you wanna buy). There are some "hors-serie" mags which give you all that you need concerning insurance/banks/renting choice.
Reply 5
zellidja
Just try to compare, if you wanna pay 12€ monthly or annualy :biggrin:
That principally depends on your room/appartment size and the amount of your goods. AXA is ok if you are planning to share your flat with other people because one AXA insurance covers all of them.

and if you have some time, look at the 2 major consummers magazines : "60 millions de consommateurs" and "Que choisir" (free borrowing in all public libraries in big cities, and not so expensive if you wanna buy). There are some "hors-serie" mags which give you all that you need concerning insurance/banks/renting choice.

yeah ok i'm sharing a flat so it's worked out as £45 each for a year including civil liability insurance - either way it was the cheapest from what i could see for what i needed

Latest

Trending

Trending