University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Is hull university any good?

Well is it? thanks for your responses

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I'm gonna be the broken record and say:

I know nothing about it, but almost all universities, no matter how old or new, have their pros and their cons. It'll be good at some stuff, crap at others, and without having researched it myself, I have no idea.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
DanGrover
I'm gonna be the broken record and say:

I know nothing about it, but almost all universities, no matter how old or new, have their pros and their cons. It'll be good at some stuff, crap at others, and without having researched it myself, I have no idea.

how do you ind out though if it is a decent uni??

i mean is it respected?
Not particularly.
Reply 4
I applied there and it seems like an ok uni from what was sent to me. They like to big up the fact that they've been voted "friendliest uni in the UK" but I don't think there's much that really distinguishes it academically to be honest. I was put off from going there because I had a bad dream about it, plus the town has a really bad rep.
It's not the greatest of universities, but it's not bad at all. It beats all the ex-polys pretty much.
thegreatstupendo
It's not the greatest of universities, but it's not bad at all. It beats all the ex-polys pretty much.

is it better than lincoln uni?
unfinished sympathy
is it better than lincoln uni?

Categorically, yes.
thegreatstupendo
Categorically, yes.

sorry but can i ask why?
Reply 9
I live in Hull so I know a fair bit about the city and iv been to the uni a few times. It is a very friendly uni and its improving all the time, they're investing quite a bit of money into it so it can only get better! Same with the city, its got a very bad reputation but there are lots of improvements going on. The nightlife is pretty good, there's an ace alt/rock club which i would recommend :smile: good luck! x
Soxxy
I live in Hull so I know a fair bit about the city and iv been to the uni a few times. It is a very friendly uni and its improving all the time, they're investing quite a bit of money into it so it can only get better! Same with the city, its got a very bad reputation but there are lots of improvements going on. The nightlife is pretty good, there's an ace alt/rock club which i would recommend :smile: good luck! x

unfinished sympathy
sorry but can i ask why?

I can't explain why, and my opinion may not be the same as others, but I have just got the impression that Hull, as a fairly well established university has a much higher prestige factor than Lincoln, a relatively new ex-poly. Not that reputation is everything anyway.
Reply 12
I live near Hull, and I think the uni gets too much of a bad rep, i didnt apply but that was soley because i wanted to be further away from home. Its in a Nice part at Hull, and the people i know that have been there have loved it.

For a red brick university the offers you get are very reasonable, and lots of improvements are being made at the moment, dont overlook hull!
Reply 13
http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=273192

EVERYONE GO HERE!!!!
Vote for Hull to have its own sub-forum!!
We can do it!!!!

Robcampo
i mean if i went then i would study theology- ad that got 23 out of 24. so doesnt that mean its good to go there for that subject?
That is the main thing about Hull that puts me off. I don't think that it seems to be a good University in the terms of it not having a name for itself such as York or Durham or whatever, but the grades that they ask for to get in aren't low so it can't be that bad, can it?

God, please don't put me off now!
spookystarbuck
That is the main thing about Hull that puts me off. I don't think that it seems to be a good University in the terms of it not having a name for itself such as York or Durham or whatever, but the grades that they ask for to get in aren't low so it can't be that bad, can it?

God, please don't put me off now!

i have no idea! sorry
unfinished sympathy
i mean if i went then i would study theology- ad that got 23 out of 24. so doesnt that mean its good to go there for that subject?

Hull university is excellent for some subjects for example, geography and law, it also from what you said, sounds like it could be for theology.

as for the bad rep you all worry about, the city is fine, if your staying in the halls you will be in a great area of hull, away from all the supposed crime and violence...which does'nt really exist anyway :wink:
Hurricane_Herd
Hull university is excellent for some subjects for example, geography and law, it also from what you said, sounds like it could be for theology.

as for the bad rep you all worry about, the city is fine, if your staying in the halls you will be in a great area of hull, away from all the supposed crime and violence...which does'nt really exist anyway :wink:

thanks hurricane herd :smile: rep reciprocated :smile:
Reply 19
Wrote this earlier today for someone who pm'd me, regarding University of Hull, hope it proves useful for you too...

From my personal visit there yesterday Monday 20th August 2006, I was impressed. What initially attracted me was their prospectus and their claims that student satisfaction was amongst the highest.

Hence, when I saw they had places in clearing I immediately applied, but still wanted to make sure I would fit in there for the next three years.

From the visit though, it was wonderful, the city has amazing shops, restaurants and clubs and caters well for students. The university itself is located in beautiful surroundings, and is well equipped, with excellent library and computer facilities. The students union and sports facilities are also some of the best in the UK. It made such a refreshing change from being in busy polluted London ! and all my fears of Hull "being a dump and full of chavs " proved to be untrue. The city has huge investments and developments, the local bus service is also efficiently run, with buses every 10mins. The city centre has all the top brands and latest fashion just as in London, to be honest, the shopping centre was clean and the shops all nicely displayed. I particularly liked the prince quay shopping centre, which was beautiful built on the harbour surrounded by water underneath and with great views.This is unlike oxford street or at the heart of London which is full of tourist hence shopping can be a stressful experience.

Hence, despite getting a place through clearing, I am really happy with the outcome. I can really see why students were very satisfied with their course and campus.

As for the Law degree itself, the Law building I saw is huge and well equipped too. The law graduate that showed me around, had done well and is now doing a legal practioner course. Also I’ve read others getting into top graduate courses from hull. The law school is like 80 years old, hence is well regarded. They also had many other departments each with their own building and all adequately equipped adding to the student satisfaction I guess.

I was told the reason they have places in clearing is because, many people don't have much experience of Hull itself as it isn't near a large city, and Hull doesn't have many local students that go onto university, hence the places going spare.

I think Hull is trying very hard to try and attract students from around the country, and their million £ investment in accommodation will help.

The only downside I guess is the basic accommodation, but it is cheap and the Lawns are very sociable so have a great community and most ppl move out into student houses anyway, which are closer and cheaper as well.

Hull has a lot to offer, and really good times to be had, but if one is committed and dedicated to their studies, then Hull also enables them to get a good degree as well as an impressive cv of all the things you can take part in. The graduates I met all had secured either jobs or going onto further study.

Although this all from my experience of the visit, I really do believe Hull is the place to be as a student, and I am just thanking my lucky stars I ve got a place at the Law school.

I really recommend, that you guys visit the university, but if you can't then rest assured you really won't find anything lacking in hull, the whole town has been built with students in mind, and I really do think in years to come Hull university and city reputation can only grow and improve.

Untill we can get our own forum, it may be worth checking out this site too lots of useful information, regrading freshers week and accomodation too!

www.hulluniversityforum.co.uk

Quick Reply

Latest