The Student Room Group

England fans wonder why "Anyone but England".... tonight explains it all

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Your wrong on point 1. Scottish commentators if anything discredit Scotland when we play...and when anybody on earth play...and I mean anybody...I don;t get the same feeling...even Celtic supports commentating when Celtic are playing... England are by a country mile the worst for this. They are simply not realistic. Also... of course I want them to support their team... I never said this was a problem.... its their expectations and delusion that annoy me.

you missed point 2 out?

3.see point 1

4." England played the most attacking football in a World Cup game against Uruguay tonight"

Your words not mine^^^^
it really does prove my point. See Columbia, Holland, Germany etc etc.... England doesn't come close.

Again, see my latest post. I meant, the most we've seen England attack in a World Cup game. This was one of our better performances, but we got done by a very clinical player in Suarez.

When has any fan or pundit/presenter ever said England can make it to the semi-finals. The majority this year were optimistic England could make it out of the group, based on the poor performance from Uruguay in their last match, so the optimism didn't come out from nowhere. If Uruguay ended up beating Costa Rica 3-0, you really think the pundits and English fans alike would be so optimistic? No they wouldn't have been.
Reply 21
The joke that keeps on giving hahahahahahahah.... you lost your opening two games for teh first time EVER.... and you make that claim. Delusion from an England fans AGAIN.... you keep proving my own points by just talking.

I'm a Chelsea fan, trust me, I know when a team plays far too defensive. England have played very attacking football in these two games compared to the last few World Cups. They deserve credit for that.

I wouldn't be impressed if England won the World Cup by parking the bus just like Chelsea won the CL. I would be happy, no doubt. But I would not be impressed. England should stick with this attacking football, they are on the right direction.
Everyone in the world hate them when it comes to this. They do this with loads of other things too.

Everything is England this, England that. Loads of them are so Anglo focused they are totally oblivious to the rest of the UK.

If people were stupid enough to believe them they'd try to convince you they created everything on earth including it.

They have always been arrogant and that's why the Celtic nations have mass amounts of people who dislike them. Even at that point their arrogance doesn't stop and they'll claim you're bitter as they are never to blame.

I hope Costa Rica beat them but not even that will humble them. Watch them make Roy a scapegoat and there be a massive media snooze fest about the next English manager and whether he should be foreign or not. They will simply refuse to accept the players aren't good enough and there are better teams. Ross Barkley will be declared 'the answer' in preparation for 2018 and there will be a new breakthrough player who'll be the chosen one ready to fire England to glory.

Same ****. Different 4 year period.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
The only reason we need to dislike the English national team is that we are rivals, and have been rivals pretty much since football began. England v Scotland is the oldest international fixture in the world apparently.
Nah, Spain vs Portugal is older.
Blah blah Scotland yadayada bitter blah.

Zzzzzzzzzz...

No, we aren't bitter. We just wish you would wheesht for once. For the most part, English fans have big delusions of grandeur. We know we suck. Why don't you?
Original post by Razzamoly
Blah blah Scotland yadayada bitter blah.

Zzzzzzzzzz...

No, we aren't bitter. We just wish you would wheesht for once. For the most part, English fans have big delusions of grandeur. We know we suck. Why don't you?

Because we don't suck, we're actually rather good.
For the England fans that wonder why you are disliked by many up here in Scotland and in other areas if the UK may be interested to hear why that is using examples of tonight's game and this world cup in general.

So we go into this world cup and fair play to the media and England fans...in the build up to this world cup the arrogance and manner at which is normally conveyed didn't exist...for once it felt like you were finally being realistic. I didn't personally mind the England team at all during the build up!

But then it starts...day 1...opening game and all the talk is about England this and England that...I pay a license fee and in the opening game I expected to hear the pundits and media talk about Brazil and Croatia...but nope... the dislike started to creep in.

So fast forward to the Italy game....by this point the realistic aspect was all but gone...before kick off some of you were convincing yourselves that you were better than Italy...not a chance, why not wait until after the game? I'll tell you why...arrogance.

Tonight...oh my gosh tonight has been a treat. Rooney's equaliser had the commentators talking like you were suddenly the world champions...embarrassing...by this point I was wanting Uruguay to hammer England... and up came Suarez!!!! hahaha classic.

Then I felt sorry for you....again you had maybe just maybe not made the majority of scots dislike your national team...but no....the commentators were sad for about a minute...refused to admit that uraguay were the better team and then began to talk utter garbage "if suarez was wearing an england top tonight"....I mean come on....how pathetic is that.... and to top it all off...to top it off...they then started talking about how they could get two results their way (totally discrediting two teams, one of which just beat them and the other one being a team that beat the team that just beat them)...how bloody arrogant.... You all talk as if you will just roll costa rica over.......hahaha aye like you done with italy and uraguay.

When will you learn and just say "we are not the better team"

I'm a Scotland fan....I can admit we are rubbish and have minor signs of improvement...but England just can't seem to stop being arrogant. Thats your down fall....everyone involved from the players to the media to the fans is deluded.

Enjoy your night!

Im sure if scotland qualified that we would here lots about scotland.

England has the best league in the world and a quality team. We have a larger population and better teams than many countries around the world. It should be a must that we compete with teams like Italy. Expectation should never be low but high, you don't improve by applauding failure.

The reason we down south don't like scot's is because their constant competition with us, can't you once support us. In my opinion both england and scotland need to be like wales.

All I sense is a bit of jealousy.
Original post by ridwan12
Im sure if scotland qualified that we would here lots about scotland.

England has the best league in the world and a quality team. We have a larger population and better teams than many countries around the world. It should be a must that we compete with teams like Italy. Expectation should never be low but high, you don't improve by applauding failure.

The reason we down south don't like scot's is because their constant competition with us, can't you once support us. In my opinion both england and scotland need to be like wales.

All I sense is a bit of jealousy.

lol come on be serious now
Original post by Bassetts

Given the first England-Scotland match way in 1872, nearly 50 years before Portugal played their first international game, I highly doubt that.
so what if your pay your licensee fee ? plenty of things Scotland is in and England is not in . The BBC is suppose to support the home team
Original post by Bassetts

Go back to the HR forums because you have no idea what you're talking about.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Because we don't suck, we're actually rather good.

Based on what exactly?
Original post by Jordooooom
Based on what exactly?

Based on going out in the Euro 2012 quarters on penalties to the eventual runners up, then comfortably qualifying for the world cup and once there, narrowly losing to the Euro runners up and Copa America winners :smile:
Original post by manchesterunited15
Based on going out in the Euro 2012 quarters on penalties to the eventual runners up, then comfortably qualifying for the world cup and once there, narrowly losing to the Euro runners up and Copa America winners :smile:

See I'd define that as better than average rather that 'good'
Original post by Jordooooom
See I'd define that as better than average rather that 'good'

The average team in the world, based on fifa rankings, is Iraq. We're a hell of a lot better than then.
Hope more than arrogance?
Since 2002 I have watched all england world cup and euro games religiously
But if we go out at the group stage then i will be dissapoint and wont follow the team as closely
Original post by Sanctimonious
I hope Costa Rica beat them but not even that will humble them. Watch them make Roy a scapegoat and there be a massive media snooze fest about the next English manager and whether he should be foreign or not. They will simply refuse to accept the players aren't good enough and there are better teams. Ross Barkley will be declared 'the answer' in preparation for 2018 and there will be a new breakthrough player who'll be the chosen one ready to fire England to glory.

Same ****. Different 4 year period.

This is so true. Even though I don't think Hodgson is a great manager, it seems pretty irrelevant. England have had good managers over the past 15 years and none of them have gotten us to a level that a lot of the fans expect. It comes to a point when you have to stop blaming the manager. The manager isn't the problem. The players aren't as good as the other top 15 or so teams.

Sven had us performing at our natural level. He got us to the QF's and then we lost to a superior team. People seemed to think we should be doing better than that. I don't know why.
well you're watching from UK. Watch from another country if you want the channels not to be biased towards England lol
`Lol.

Another bitter Scot.

Tbh, just to see the Scots bitch about England makes the WC worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest