The Student Room Group

Injections- not a nice experience!

I went to get my meningitus and MMR topped up before I go to uni and this is what happened.
I was only a little bit nervous about them, just the usual 'i'd rather not' feeling! I looked away, but as soon as the nurse put the needle in I felt really sick and went dizzy. She went out to get me a sick bucket and some water and my eyes went black so i couldnt see and i started hypoventalating. She told me to put my head between my legs and after some water i felt well enough to have the next jab. I lay down on the couch and the same thing happened except I completely blacked out. I woke up to her shaking me and calling my name. She went to get my Dad and I burst into tears!

I've never had this before with injections, I got a little like it when I got my ears pierced in October but not this bad! Does anyone else get like this?

Scroll to see replies

well ive had some well and truly embarasing experiences with injections espesh if they are in school! since im terrified of needles. you could be having a reaction to the needle or you could be serverely terrified of needles
Reply 2
seems odd she'd give you another injection after such a odd reaction to the first. lol.
Reply 3
I thought I was awful with injections and needles but I had a blood test the other day and it was fine as long as I didn't look at the needle at all. I just pretended it wasn't there and it was fine. Got to go for another one in 2 weeks and I'm not too worried about it now. I've never found myself blacking out or anything.
I have seen people at school faint from injections due to being scared of needles. I have never had a problem personaly though i always turn my head away, i cant watch it.
Reply 5
mike_J
seems odd she'd give you another injection after such a odd reaction to the first. lol.

Yeah that's what I thought :confused:

Surely you blacking out makes for a good time to stop jabbing you with needles?
Reply 6
Is it a good idea to get them topped up before uni??
squirly
I thought I was awful with injections and needles but I had a blood test the other day and it was fine as long as I didn't look at the needle at all. I just pretended it wasn't there and it was fine. Got to go for another one in 2 weeks and I'm not too worried about it now. I've never found myself blacking out or anything.

I had blood tests once (turned out everything was fine :smile: ) and they needed i tihnk it was 2 or 3 blood samples.

They had this syringe where they take a sample, then leave it in whilst unscrewing ths testube on top and then putting an empty one on.

When the nurse was changing the test tube the syring was just stuck in my arm freely, the nurse had turned away to get a new test tube and i could feel the syringe stuck in my arm and although it didnnt hurt, the thought of it made me cringe a bit.
Reply 8
dannywales

No point in topping up. Just make sure you've got what you're required to have.
Reply 9
I used to pass out when I would have two injections (one was fine)
I have got better with it now. I've never really known why I passed out though.
Reply 10
I actually ENJOY injections, for some reason i like the feeling of a needle inside of me lol and i always watch! I must be well weird..
Reply 11
*titanium*
I had blood tests once (turned out everything was fine :smile: ) and they needed i tihnk it was 2 or 3 blood samples.

They had this syringe where they take a sample, then leave it in whilst unscrewing ths testube on top and then putting an empty one on.

When the nurse was changing the test tube the syring was just stuck in my arm freely, the nurse had turned away to get a new test tube and i could feel the syringe stuck in my arm and although it didnnt hurt, the thought of it made me cringe a bit.

yep, that's what I had the other day. They took three tubes and I'm going back for two more I think :rolleyes:
Reminds me of when we all had the BCG. Just beforehand we had a maths lesson and I was sitting next to a guy who was ****-scared of injections. I spent the whole lesson drawing huge syringes on the desk in pencil and he was crapping himself. What a horrible kid I was. :redface: Was funny though!

Anyway, so yes - there are people who hate them. It's sort of an irrational fear though.
I've never ever had a problem with needles or blood or piercings (even though when I got my belly button done properly the clamp pinged off halfway through and she swore and fumbled with it until it went through), but everyone has off days.

Once I went to get blood taken and he was a trainee or something and he couldn't find the vein and was poking the needle about in my arm, then swapping to the other arm and back again and I very very nearly passed out. I had to lie down, anyway, and it was very embarrassing.

Maybe it was just a bad day for you? Was it hot in there?
Reply 14
I really feel no pain whatsoever when i have injections thankfully. Like I don't feel dizzy or anything.
Reply 15
Scary experience you had there. I've had thousands of injections and I'm fine with them, was very ill a few years ago(cancer). I've only had 1, well 2 but of the same thing, bad experiences, and it wasn't caused by fear or anything. I had to get a drug and it was meant to be injected really slowly over a couple of mins. The nurse injected it in around 10 seconds and after a couple of minutes i felt so strange. I told my mum and she called a doctor, i was in the hospital, she says i was acting really wierd and she thought i was gonna die. This happened again a motnh or two later. Anyway, that's my experience. With injection/blood tests, i watch them do it...teehee
Reply 16
dannywales

I'm going to the same uni as Gemma.. and we got a letter stating that ideally we should get a Men C booster before going to Uni.. I had mine... not a problem! :eek:
I can only take injections if theres a women around. Don't matter if I fancy her or not. Otherwise hell no ain't happening.
Reply 18
I simply tried my best not to look when the needle got poked in. The pain, on the other hand, was too persistent to ignore. My arms were sore for a day or two afterwards.
Reply 19
JayB124
I can only take injections if theres a women around. Don't matter if I fancy her or not. Otherwise hell no ain't happening.

lol any reason for that...

Latest

Trending

Trending