The Student Room Group

Need help with shoulder broadening

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iron_lloyd
Soo should I aim for lower or higher reps? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

For mass I would aim for a higher rep count of around 10-12 reps but for improving strength reduce that to around 3-5 reps.
You'll gain just as much mass from low reps as high reps, with the added benefit of gaining much more strength, so long as your total workload is enough. Why do people seem to insist on making rep ranges black and white?

You're allowed to use multiple rep ranges, for example:

OHP 5 X 5
Dumbbell press 3 X 8
Facepull 3 X 10-12

Some people would also be surprised to know that you don't have to work exclusively in 3,4 or 5 sets for an exercise.
I think as long as you stick between 5 - 15 it's fine, but ideal reps vary person to person. Once you start training you'll find your preferred rep range.
Heavy overhead press for the front deltoid to give that thickness.
Lateral raises for the medial deltoid to give that width and round look.
Rear delt flyes or facepulls for the posterior deltoid is vital to improve posture and you don't want to neglect them or you'll get impingement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, by your posts, it seems you're very much a beginner. Get on a good beginnner programme like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 or Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. They'll do lots for your shoulder broadening.

Heavy OHP combined with something like a facepull and if you feel you need them lateral raises will be more than enough for your shoulders.

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
You'll gain just as much mass from low reps as high reps, with the added benefit of gaining much more strength, so long as your total workload is enough. Why do people seem to insist on making rep ranges black and white?

You're allowed to use multiple rep ranges, for example:

OHP 5 X 5
Dumbbell press 3 X 8
Facepull 3 X 10-12

Some people would also be surprised to know that you don't have to work exclusively in 3,4 or 5 sets for an exercise.

This. PRSOM
Reply 24
Original post by Angry cucumber
Ok, by your posts, it seems you're very much a beginner. Get on a good beginnner programme like Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5 or Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. They'll do lots for your shoulder broadening.

Heavy OHP combined with something like a facepull and if you feel you need them lateral raises will be more than enough for your shoulders.

This. PRSOM

I definately think my shoulders are extemely weak, struggled to do 4 - 10 arnold presses at 10kg :/ ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just follow a decent proven novice routine, but in whatever you decided to do your routine should be based on the big compund lifts and progressive overload. Just be consistent and make sure you're getting enough calories in you.
Reply 26
Original post by StuartPatrick94
Just follow a decent proven novice routine, but in whatever you decided to do your routine should be based on the big compund lifts and progressive overload. Just be consistent and make sure you're getting enough calories in you.

Thats a problem I think.. im trying to lose weight at the same time so finding a mix between eating less for my diet but eating more for muscle gain is proving very difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats a problem I think.. im trying to lose weight at the same time so finding a mix between eating less for my diet but eating more for muscle gain is proving very difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile

Use something like MyFitnessPal and eat a consistent 500 calorie deficit whilst getting 1 -1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight and you'll make consistent gains on a good novice programme.
Reply 28
Original post by Angry cucumber
Use something like MyFitnessPal and eat a consistent 500 calorie deficit whilst getting 1 -1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight and you'll make consistent gains on a good novice programme.

Ahh thats a really good app actually thanks! Do you have any recommendations for training apps for noting down weights/reps etc and plan sessions? Or if there is a decent website you know of.. thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh thats a really good app actually thanks! Do you have any recommendations for training apps for noting down weights/reps etc and plan sessions? Or if there is a decent website you know of.. thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure MFP has a facility where you can wrie down the weight/reps/sets etc.
You don't necessarily need huge shoulders to look ''broad'' - work on you lats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take a pen and a note pad lol. A lot of guys do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
Pretty sure there is no real proof that different amount of reps have any difference. I've been told that so many times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is definitely a huge difference between doing singles and something like sets of 12.

Quick Reply

Latest