The Student Room Group

Meditation to reduce exam/studying stress - Would you try it?

I've personally found meditation helps me with my reaction to stressful situations. Has anyone had an experience with meditating in exam period? Share any experiences you've had with it! :smile: Would you be willing to or are you a little skeptical about it?
I find it really helpful too! I would recommend it to anyone :smile:
Yep I meditate all the time anyway, but find it particularly useful during the exam periods or stressful times :smile: I'm actually a part of a meditation society at uni too, where we come together to meditate once a week and also discuss our meditation and whether we've had any setbacks/successes. It's really supportive!
Reply 3
Original post by gypsyclimber
Yep I meditate all the time anyway, but find it particularly useful during the exam periods or stressful times :smile: I'm actually a part of a meditation society at uni too, where we come together to meditate once a week and also discuss our meditation and whether we've had any setbacks/successes. It's really supportive!

I wonder if you're at Sussex? I attend the meditation group there! It's a fantastic group, so friendly! It's finished for the summer now which is so sad but I think I've found another one :smile:
I would probably never try meditation. It doesn't seem like something that would relax me or calm me. I'd probably find it boring too
Thought the thread said medication and was about to inquire how much i'd be getting paid lol
I meditate - not as much as I'd like too, but when I do I feel a lot better. It has so many benefits, people have been doing it for 1000s of years. So many free guided downloads online that people can try if they want to get into it :smile:
i did yoga if that counts
Reply 8
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
i did yoga if that counts

How did you find it?
Original post by Armadillo
How did you find it?

not sure about mentally, will tell you when i get my results haha.

physically i felt a lot better though, i started doin it to help my lifting because i wasn't too flexible and wasn't getting down deep on my squats for eg. carried it on afterwards because it helps me recover faster and muscles feel revitalised after a yoga session
Reply 10
Too late to try it now, I've finished my exams. But I'd definitely try it for future reference.
Maybe.
I've been meditating for nearly a year every day and if I had to recommend one habit to anyone it'd be that.

It's one of the best ways to reduce stress because the more you do it, the more you begin to just focus on the present and accept how you are now rather than how you want to be in the future. A lot of the time, we worry about getting certain grades or meeting new people and generally things that haven't happened yet. By doing that, we create a bunch of fears that only work to make us uncomfortable.

One of the common reasons to not meditate is that it's boring or 'not for me' but it's important to realise that meditation is a practise, not an instant solution. It's something you get better at. Doing it regularly gives better control over the level of anxiety you have towards things because you're simply more mindful of yourself and your surroundings.

I've written a few things about meditation and they might be helpful. But to answer your question, yes and i'd recommend it to everyone.

A very short guide to meditation
5 reasons to start meditating
Mindfulness is Beautiful
Doing meditation is one of the transformative practices I do. Secular mindfulness meditation specifically. I've heard that people have success with many other forms of meditation too.

For me it's not so much about "reducing stress" and more about remembering the inner 'truth' of my being. The ego is a tool, a product of my mind which I can use for good or bad. Remembering that we are the consciousness behind the ego (and not the ego itself) is really important for me. Meditating is one way of remembering that truth on a deep level...and living in the present moment is a wonderful practice to adopt.

Meditation brings raised consciousness and with this raised consciousness comes MANY things, including the possibility of change. With little to no consciousness in each moment, it is impossible to notice what we would like to change about ourselves and in what way. As somebody who practises self-change, it is important for me to have high consciousness for what it is I'm doing and how it is I'm changing and would like to change.
Yes, absolutely.

I was introduced to Mindfulness last year as I had extreme anxiety. I have a routine of fifteen minutes Mindfulness in the morning and fifteen late in the evening and it has reduced my stress greatly.

Without it, I don't think I'd ever get through university. My therapist told me Mindfulness cannot fail as long as you stick to it and dedicate some time every day. That was around 6 months ago. So far so good.

Also, the book I use is 'A Mindful-Based Stress Reduction Workbook' Stahl and Goldstein. I find it works well.

Give it a try. :smile:
I have ADHD, meaning I'm too cool for meditation..

inb4 someone says i dont actually have it. I do.

Quick Reply

Latest