The Student Room Group

I want to study Physics at uni, but don't have the relevant grades.

Sorry, i'm not sure if this is the correct place to submit this, if not feel free to move it.

I'm 21 years old, and i'm desperate to go to university for physics, with the end goal of becoming a physics teacher, but there is a couple of issues.

Currently my highest qualifications are at GCSE, B in maths, B in science A and C in science B (we did a double GCSE). This is relevant because it stops me from doing A levels at college as its a mandatory B/B qualification minimum. So i feel kinda stuck now because i dont know of many other options to getting to uni. I was looking into doing a foundation year, but i don't feel very confident i'll be able to make my application stand out. How can i prove that i have taken a steady interest in the subject over the past few years.
I have also looked into distance learning, but i don't know how well that stands up as an equivalent. I read you have to travel to do practicals, and have no idea how hard that is to arrange? Any one taken this route?

I feel confident i'm working at a decent level, and would have no problems on a course but i just cant seem to find one that suits what i need! Any ideas?
(edited 9 years ago)
look at your local collages access courses for science
Reply 2
Yeah, I have looked into that, but the only course offered is one into biology, whereas i'm more concerned with the physics / maths side.
Original post by Jahmii
Yeah, I have looked into that, but the only course offered is one into biology, whereas i'm more concerned with the physics / maths side.

My GCSE physics teacher didn't even have an A level in Physics. I reckon of you do your GCSE's again do some relevant A levels and a teachers course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I think you should sort of apply left right and centre and then you can weigh up your options. Certainly apply for a foundation year, and if you get rejected ask why. You'll then be more clued up on how to apply the next year. And try and look for a different college that maybe that doesn't have that minimum? Then if you worked hard at A levels, most unis might be okay with it.
Reply 5
Yeah, i think that's my best option. To just sort of apply to everything, and see what comes of it. The amount of work now just to get to the start line really makes me wish i'd listened in school. Ah well :P
Reply 6
You could always do a physics degree with The Open Uni. They don't have entry requirements as they believe if you have a passion to pass and a goal to reach, you can do it. The degrees are as real as you would get from any 'normal' uni. I'm doing my biology degree with them and I honestly can't fault the uni in any way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I would certainly look at an access course that includes physics, even if it means travelling to a college further away - that is what I had to do - I was doing a 60 mile round trip because my local college didn't offer what I wanted.

To stand out at uni, or for a foundation degree - I would definitely get some work experience - I would try and shadow a physics teacher - A lot of schools have after school science clubs, and I am sure some local school will be happy for the help.

Get a enhanced CRB - you will most definitely need this, even as a volunteer.
I don't think you'll be able to get onto a foundation year without any level 3 qualifications. You may have to take an Access course first, followed by a foundation year. If the biology Access is the only one you can get to, you could check with universities whether this would be enough to get you onto foundation. If you can find an Access course with sufficient maths and physics content, you may be able to skip the foundation year.

It's also worth considering that the maths on a physics degree is very demanding. Most universities ask for at least grade A at A Level or equivalent. It may be easier to do your degree in biology or chemistry. Schools expect their science teachers to teach across all disciplines, so you may still be able to teach physics without having a degree in it.
I've just finished my access course and have been accepted at the university of manchester for their foundation year for physics. I'd defiantly recommend one, ring your local university and ask what credits they would want in physics and mathematics, then try and find a relevant course. Some colleges will offer extra units in certain subjects if you ask. Good luck!
Original post by Schadenfreude65

It's also worth considering that the maths on a physics degree is very demanding. Most universities ask for at least grade A at A Level or equivalent.

There are enough unis that do not ask for A grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending