The Student Room Group

I made a short film about picking up girls with chewing gum :)

Hello everyone:smile:
I am from Macau (a small city next to Hong Kong) and currently doing A-level.
I absolutely love my life here in the UK:smile:

I made a short film last week after all my As exams were done.
I really wanna improve my videos but I don't have much audience.

So could you please Check out the link below? And tell me what you think of it :smile: This would mean a lot to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rySc5Zy-hc&list=UUNb1JKEOOS0g6mx2lIoR8qA
Reply 1
I liked it but not too keen on the music. Over all 7.5/10 :smile:
i did, it was surprisingly quite good.
Reply 3
Quite good.

They were a couple of shots which could have been framed better, and you could have cut it down further as it seemed to stall. Also the title was too long, and it would have looked better against a black background. but I do like the font.

Also, in your intro rather than use a fade, and straight cut would have been better. At the 01:02 point, your edit jumps.

In terms of narrative, he doesn't really need as her permission to sit down, and we don't see her holding the iPod see the shot after you cut looks rather odd. I like the shoulder shot, but in the next shot, you should have gone closer into the writing. If you're going to use a close up, always make sure there's a big difference in terms of distance with the previous shot.

It would have been fun if you added an antagonist (someone better looking to steal her off him), because you're setting it up as though she likes him.

Don't be afraid to go closer in on her face.

Invest in a better tripod, as it was too shakey, and always use manual focus.

Pretty good overall.
Reply 4
Thats good, keep it up and you'll soon be a youtube sensation :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Rosie786
I liked it but not too keen on the music. Over all 7.5/10 :smile:

Thank you for you feedback. Getting the right music for the short film is vital. I have always tried to avoid the copyright issue and therefore the option of music is limited :/ Again thank you for you feedback:smile:
Reply 6

Original post by WitnessMO
i did, it was surprisingly quite good.

Thank you for your comment:smile: There is always room for improvement. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Scott.
Quite good.

They were a couple of shots which could have been framed better, and you could have cut it down further as it seemed to stall. Also the title was too long, and it would have looked better against a black background. but I do like the font.

Also, in your intro rather than use a fade, and straight cut would have been better. At the 01:02 point, your edit jumps.

In terms of narrative, he doesn't really need as her permission to sit down, and we don't see her holding the iPod see the shot after you cut looks rather odd. I like the shoulder shot, but in the next shot, you should have gone closer into the writing. If you're going to use a close up, always make sure there's a big difference in terms of distance with the previous shot.

It would have been fun if you added an antagonist (someone better looking to steal her off him), because you're setting it up as though she likes him.

Don't be afraid to go closer in on her face.

Invest in a better tripod, as it was too shakey, and always use manual focus.

Pretty good overall.

Thank you for your feedback man!
Yeah The intro could have been better.
That jump cut at 1:02 is a bit unreasonable :/ (Can't remember why I did that lol)

It's my bad that I didn't use the manual focus shot for the trick :frown:. I actually shot that chewing gum magic trick scene for a lot of time because the problem I was facing was that the trick itself required a specific angle. (You know its a magic trick:biggrin:) When shooting that scene most of the time I failed to prevent the gimmick from being exposed and then due to the excessive time on shooting that scene I decided to move on. Therefore it ended up the scene that you are seeing was the only acceptable one I had got and I inevitably used that.
I won't make this silly mistake next time :smile:

In fact I do have a good tripod but I didn't use it when I was shooting those scenes (my bad) LOL

Your feedback is really helpful! I appreciate that:smile:

By the way do you do film production course in Uni?
Reply 8
Original post by Tcool
Thats good, keep it up and you'll soon be a youtube sensation :smile:

haha Thank you:smile: I hope so! Having a group of audience on Youtube could be difficult especially when I don't speak English as fluently as you guys. I find it easy to talk to my teachers but when it comes to a conversation between me and my English fellows, I get frustrated sometimes lol
Reply 9
Original post by matthewzlao
Thank you for your feedback man!
Yeah The intro could have been better.
That jump cut at 1:02 is a bit unreasonable :/ (Can't remember why I did that lol)

It's my bad that I didn't use the manual focus shot for the trick :frown:. I actually shot that chewing gum magic trick scene for a lot of time because the problem I was facing was that the trick itself required a specific angle. (You know its a magic trick:biggrin:) When shooting that scene most of the time I failed to prevent the gimmick from being exposed and then due to the excessive time on shooting that scene I decided to move on. Therefore it ended up the scene that you are seeing was the only acceptable one I had got and I inevitably used that.
I won't make this silly mistake next time :smile:

In fact I do have a good tripod but I didn't use it when I was shooting those scenes (my bad) LOL

Your feedback is really helpful! I appreciate that:smile:

By the way do you do film production course in Uni?

I did, but then I changed to Law lol
Reply 10
Original post by matthewzlao
haha Thank you:smile: I hope so! Having a group of audience on Youtube could be difficult especially when I don't speak English as fluently as you guys. I find it easy to talk to my teachers but when it comes to a conversation between me and my English fellows, I get frustrated sometimes lol

Don't worry about that you'll improve. And it's more about the quality of your videos that's important and you've already ticked that box :smile:
Reply 11
That was surprisingly good! Keep making short films - I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Reply 12
Original post by Caedus
That was surprisingly good! Keep making short films - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thank you for your nice words :smile: I am glad that you enjoyed it! And yeah I will be making short films in the foreseeable future so I look forward to seeing your comment in TSR again :smile:
Really good, I enjoyed it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by thestars
Really good, I enjoyed it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for watching:smile: I am glad that you enjoyed it!
Reply 15
That was really good, I really enjoyed watching it! Just out of curiosity, what music did you use in this film? I really liked the music.

I also watched another one of your films entitled "Birdy", and found it really enjoyable too!
you would need a massive wad of gum to pick up a girl ?

or a very very tiny girl :confused:
Reply 17
Original post by Elesby
That was really good, I really enjoyed watching it! Just out of curiosity, what music did you use in this film? I really liked the music.

I also watched another one of your films entitled "Birdy", and found it really enjoyable too!

Thanks again haha!! The song I used is called "I left my sugar" from Sound Nomaden. "Birdy" is an experimental short film so it is a bit abstract. Some can interpret the idea of the film while others can't. I also like the vibe of the film. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by the bear
you would need a massive wad of gum to pick up a girl ?

or a very very tiny girl :confused:

What do you mean by a very very tiny girl? lol

Quick Reply

Latest