The Student Room Group

Self studying Further Maths A*

Hello I would really love some advice specially from those who has done FM or in a situation like me.

So I am planning do a math degree and I have decided to take a gap year and wanting to self study Further Maths but at the same time have a Full time Job. How much work must I put in daily? Is it possible with the full time job to achieve an A* in FM also I wanted to retake C3/C4 because I don't think I achieved an A* I probably scraped it by few marks, very depressing because I was really hoping for an A* in Maths but I still have hope of achieving it this year a long with FM. Please enlighten me I LOVEEEEEE MATHS
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
It's definitely possible to get an A*, many people on here have done it by self teaching, however I'm not sure how much work it would take. It would be best to seek out one of these people and ask them personally.
Reply 3
Original post by Basir04
Hello I would really love some advice specially from those who has done FM or in a situation like me...

I've self-taught myself Further Maths and managed to get an A* - The amount of time you put is varies much on the person; for instance if you've already done A-level Physics, you'll find M2 & M3 much easier as concepts are repeated and you would be able to cover them very quickly (i.e. within hours).

Really the biggest amount of time you spend is on practising questions, which varies on the person... officially one module is meant to take 45 hours of teaching time, but self-teaching obviously is much quicker - probably at least half the time, which means you would only need a few hours a week to cover the 6 modules in a year if that much - perfectly doable.

Doing Further Maths will also force you to get better at C3/C4, since parts are required and assumed for further modules (e.g. you'll need to solve basic Differential Equations in Mechanics [as well as harder ones for FP3], Calculus stuff is extended etc.), so you won't need to spend so much time preparing for it if you've been doing Further Maths.
Reply 4
Original post by piguy
I've self-taught myself Further Maths and managed to get an A* - The amount of time you put is varies much on the person; for instance if you've already done A-level Physics, you'll find M2 & M3 much easier as concepts are repeated and you would be able to cover them very quickly (i.e. within hours).

Really the biggest amount of time you spend is on practising questions, which varies on the person... officially one module is meant to take 45 hours of teaching time, but self-teaching obviously is much quicker - probably at least half the time, which means you would only need a few hours a week to cover the 6 modules in a year if that much - perfectly doable.

Doing Further Maths will also force you to get better at C3/C4, since parts are required and assumed for further modules (e.g. you'll need to solve basic Differential Equations in Mechanics [as well as harder ones for FP3], Calculus stuff is extended etc.), so you won't need to spend so much time preparing for it if you've been doing Further Maths.

Sweet! Thank you very much. I am so happy that my skills in C3 and C4 will improve too as I want an A* in them too.
Original post by Basir04
Hello I would really love some advice specially from those who has done FM or in a situation like me.

So I am planning do a math degree and I have decided to take a gap year and wanting to self study Further Maths but at the same time have a Full time Job. How much work must I put in daily? Is it possible with the full time job to achieve an A* in FM also I wanted to retake C3/C4 because I don't think I achieved an A* I probably scraped it by few marks, very depressing because I was really hoping for an A* in Maths but I still have hope of achieving it this year a long with FM. Please enlighten me I LOVEEEEEE MATHS

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
Reply 6
Thank you all, I think I will go for it =)

Quick Reply

Latest