The Student Room Group

Uni's to visit for open days, modern history/war?

Hi! My parents want me to limit unis to look at to eight. So far i've got

University of Manchester for Politics and Modern History

University of Birmingham for War Studies

Kings for War Studies

UEA for International Relations and Modern History

University of Exeter- History and Politics and History and International Relations

Could you recommend some more please and what do you think about the ones i've mentioned? I've also looked a little at:
Kent for War Studies// War and Conflict,
Hull for War and Security Studies,
Southampton for Modern History and Politics,
Westminster for History and Politics,
Chichester for Politics and Contemporary History
and
Durham for International Relations.

I'm not so sure on those at the moment, as I've only got two more I can visit, I'm a little stuck.

Many thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 30secondstodani

Kings for War Studies

University of Exeter- History and Politics and History and International Relations

Could you recommend some more please and what do you think about the ones i've mentioned? I've also looked a little at:
and

I'm not so sure on those at the moment, as I've only got two more I can visit, I'm a little stuck.

Many thanks!

I've just finished IR and have taken some history modules at UEA -I've enjoyed it but some of the IR stuff is very different and unlike the history stuff- the theories and contemporary stuff, if History is your main area of interest do consider if you want to do that as well.

I wouldn't bother with Chichester tbh, you only really need one backup and I'd say Westminster has the better ranking, unless you really prefer the course at Chichester.
Make sure you go to Open Days at a range of different Unis and in particular that you include several with much lower grade requirements. If you pick 5 choices with the same or very similar grades you run the risk of a) being rejected from most of them (History is a very competitive subject) and b) having no obvious Insurance choice. You need to avoid getting, for instance, only 2 offers and both of them being for the same grades. Use www.whatuni.com to suss out which Unis require much lower grades and I'd make at least 3 of your 8 'go see' visits these sort of courses/Unis. Btw, do not assume that because a course doesn't have the word 'war' or 'modern' in its title that it doesn't cover these topics - check out a few 'general' History courses as well - ie. Leeds. IR is a Social Science, History is a Humanities subject. This means they will have different approaches - make sure you understand the difference.

PS. Chichester is a very 'new' Uni and doesn't have any real reputation (but it is a a lovely place to live) and Westminster is also probably not worth bothering with for History.

Others to think about :
Winchester : History and the Modern World
Brighton : Humanities (War, Conflict and Modernity)
Leicester : Contemporary History (VERY worth looking at)
Liverpool : History (Modern) and Politics (ditto)
Reading : War, Peace and International Relations
Swansea : War and Society
Salford : Contemporary History and Politics AND Contemporary Military and International History

AND you might find this interesting/useful : http://www.history.ac.uk/events/seminars/135
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 30secondstodani

Kings for War Studies

and

Many thanks!

If you have any questions about War Studies at King's feel free to fire away! Obviously I am biased but from a consensus viewpoint KCL is the place to study the multifaceted phenomenon that is war and conflict. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending