The Student Room Group

This World Cup is so boring, totally lacking

In terms of 4 things.

1) The gameplay is slowww (the heat)

2) Refs doing bottlejobs and going easy on yellows/reds. Neymar should have seen red against Croatia, not to mention it wasn't a penalty etc. Godin yesterday should have been off for Uruguay. Just now Costa Rica should have had a penalty when Campbell was fouled. I keep seeing soft touch decisions. It just seems odd. They seem to be not wanting to give out yellow/reds at any opportunity and making alot of strange decisions.

2) The legends are missing. We used to see people like Henry, Zidane, Figo, Vieri, Totti, Del Piero, Nedved, Raul, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Seedorf, Davids etc etc .. even Ukraine had Shevchenko. Where are the legends of today? I kind of feel like something is missing there. From Henry and Zidane to Giroud and Moussa Sissoko. From Ronaldo and Kaka to Fred and Paulinho. Even Spain are missing the old Torres and Villa. Nigeria used to have JJ Okocha, Kanu, Oliseh .. now they have who? I just feel like there's a lack of personality in alot of these squads.

3) The big teams have been extremely disappointing. Spain, let's not go there. Absolutely atrocious. Brazil for me, have been poor - and for a Brazilian side totally boring. Fred? Jo? They used to have Ronaldo and Ronaldinho .. what happened?! They are very average and unbrazilian like. Argentina were outplayed by Bosnia & Herzegovina. Another disappointment. Italy just lost to Costa Rica and might join Spain and England in leaving the group stage.

Only Holland of the bigger sides have been EXCITING and look interesting. Otherwise this is a very dull World Cup so far. Every 11pm kick off gets more and more depressing. Last night it was Japan vs Greece (awful game), tonight it is Honduras vs Ecuador.

Whose looking forward to Ivory Coast vs Costa Rica in the last 16?? I ain't!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I want to disagree with OP. But I can't lol.

This WC started well but the play has petered out, it seems.

Refs are certainly ruining this WC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Germany's great aswell.. Don't you think?
Reply 3
Made a thread on this as well and people disagreed.

It's a boring world cup tbh. By the quarters there will most likely be no european teams, only good teams left will be Argentina and Brazil. Germany and France may make it to the quarters if we're lucky. Colombia have an interesting team though and we'll see how Belgium and Holland do I guess.

Portugal will probably be knocked out in the group stages too and Italy are going to get knocked out.

The team who wins this world cup is going to be who can run around a pitch the longest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Climate hasn't helped thus WC.

CANNOT WAIT FOR QATAR GUYS!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about germany?!?! holland isnt the only team that is exciting so far in the world cup.

Also in my point of view Miroslav Klose is still a legend, he might be old but still a strong player for Germany when played.
Thomas Mueller has been brilliant with his finishing.

And just because big teams are not doing well it does not mean world cup is boring, smaller nations like costa rica and other nations are doing really well and playing interesting football. this might be a world cup for smaller nations:biggrin:.

im still rooting for Germany though! GERMANY ALL THE WAY!

PS world cup final is on my birthday so it would be a great birthday present if Germany win it!
Reply 6
Original post by DragonSlayer666
What about germany?!?! holland isnt the only team that is exciting so far in the world cup.

Also in my point of view Miroslav Klose is still a legend, he might be old but still a strong player for Germany when played.

And just because big teams are not doing well it does not mean world cup is boring, smaller nations like costa rica and other nations are doing really well and playing interesting football. this might be a world cup for smaller nations:biggrin:.

PS world cup final is on my birthday so it would be a great birthday present if Germany win it!

Germany's goals or football is not particularly exciting... I dont fault they're a fantastic team.

Netherlands on the other hand... Wow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agree with you, OP my friend, especially with the point about the big teams being a disappointment but I'm still loving the world cup. I think this is a year for the under dogs and I wanna see Colombia, Chile and Costa Rica go far. Also with Suarez back Uruguay have a good chance.
Original post by Ggmu!
Germany's goals or football is not particularly exciting... I dont fault they're a fantastic team.

Netherlands on the other hand... Wow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yup i agree Netherlands play beautiful football no argument there.

Germany teamwork is amazing and i think in this world cup tactics, work ethic and teamwork is going to decide the world cup winner. as you can see costa rica and chile tactics,work ethic and teamwork is beating teams thought to be greater than themselves. looking at France right now they look good too.
Reply 9
Original post by jam278

It's a boring world cup tbh. By the quarters there will most likely be no european teams, only good teams left will be Argentina, Brazil, Germany and France at this rate if we're lucky. Colombia have an interesting team though and we'll see how Belgium and Holland do I guess.

Portugal will probably be knocked out in the group stages too and Italy are going to get knocked out.

The team who wins this world cup is going to be who can run around a pitch the longest.

As you say the real winners are the ones with the greatest fitness levels, and fighting spirit. THe likes of Costa Rica, Chile, Mexico etc The big boys haven't turned up.
Original post by jam278

It's a boring world cup tbh. By the quarters there will most likely be no european teams, only good teams left will be Argentina, Brazil, Germany and France at this rate if we're lucky. Colombia have an interesting team though and we'll see how Belgium and Holland do I guess.

You really aren't helping the stereotype that all football fans are retards.
Reply 11
Original post by DragonSlayer666

I missed the Germany game so can't comment. However remember that Portugal were down to 10 and so that would have made a difference. But still, yes Germany are a threat.
Reply 12
Original post by physicso
You really aren't helping the stereotype that all football fans are retards.

I meant that France and Germany will be there in the quarters if we're lucky. Ain't looked at the draw properly yet though, only know that Brazil could be facing Holland. Italy are out imo as I think Uruguay will beat them so I'm not going to comment on the second round.

Dunno who France face next round or Germany if they get through.
Reply 13
Some people can never be pleased..
Regarding the 'legends' comment, the following players are playing in their last World Cup or will be past their peak by the time Russia 2018 comes around:

Buffon, Pirlo, Casillas, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Alonso, Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Eto'o, Cahill, Robben, Van Persie, Sneijder, Essien, Marquez, Drogba, Yaya Toure, Evra, Lahm, Klose, Schweinsteiger & Cristiano Ronaldo.

Half of them haven't played/have been poor at this WC but still. They've had good careers in the game.

Original post by jam278
Dunno who France face next round or Germany if they get through.

France will play Bosnia (expecting Argentina to win their group, plus the other two sides in there are hopeless)
Germany will play Belgium/Russia/South Korea/Algeria (you'd expect them to beat any of those teams)
(edited 9 years ago)
Would disagree that this World Cup is boring. I'm quite enjoying the fact that the big teams are struggling because that's what makes football such a beautiful sport, it is just too unpredictable. I'm also enjoying the amount of goals we're seeing, because considering how poor the 2010 World Cup was - the ball didn't help that matter - I think this is becoming quite a good tournament. I don't think the 'bad' games such as Japan vs Greece are even that bad. I would rarely get an opportunity to watch these teams live, and even if it ended as a 0-0, I just like to watch how teams approach these games.
yes the world cup should only ever be played in europe :rolleyes:
Players should never retire :eek:
Boring?!

BORING?! I don't know what World Cup you've been watching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Kruz
BORING?! I don't know what World Cup you've been watching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, its been a very exciting, unpredictable WC with lots of goals and attacking football, some people really have a strange idea of the concept of 'boring' and the reasons outlined in the OP are just strange. Surely the fact that its been constantly unpredictable and the big teams aren't walking over the smaller teams as you'd expect them to makes it very interesting and good to watch, no? And how do poor refs make it a boring WC?

Quick Reply

Latest