The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Accommodation!

I'm looking into the accommodation at York and am confused by all the different colleges? Could someone tell me how the system actually works, and possibly which the cheapest college is? Also, are they divided by whether they are catered/self-catered? Thanks!
Reply 1
I've firmed it for this year so I've not actually experienced them, but from what I can tell it's more of a social thing than academic (so it's not like Oxbridge, and you won't have your college named on your degree). It's more that you'll have events and sports teams and stuff run by your college, so even when you're not living there (if you live out for first year then you'll still belong to a college) you'll be part of that. As far as I can tell, you pay according to the room rather than the college, so a self-catered en-suite will cost the same regardless of which college it's in. However, some colleges don't have the cheaper room types, so the only rooms there will be more expensive (Constantine is an example of this iirc). There are stereotypes associated with the colleges but everyone always says it is what you make of it, so it's not that big a deal. I'm hoping to go for James just because I'm doing Psychology so it's convenient :smile:
University of York
York
Original post by jm925
I've firmed it for this year so I've not actually experienced them, but from what I can tell it's more of a social thing than academic (so it's not like Oxbridge, and you won't have your college named on your degree). It's more that you'll have events and sports teams and stuff run by your college, so even when you're not living there (if you live out for first year then you'll still belong to a college) you'll be part of that. As far as I can tell, you pay according to the room rather than the college, so a self-catered en-suite will cost the same regardless of which college it's in. However, some colleges don't have the cheaper room types, so the only rooms there will be more expensive (Constantine is an example of this iirc). There are stereotypes associated with the colleges but everyone always says it is what you make of it, so it's not that big a deal. I'm hoping to go for James just because I'm doing Psychology so it's convenient :smile:

Hey. Most of this is correct :smile:

You do belong to the college you initially join from the start, but it is mainly colleges for Community and social feel.

All colleges have their own identity but they all interact so you're never far from anything that might interest you.

Room prices are standard over all colleges but some colleges do not offer the cheaper rent bands purely because of their newer or refurbished status.

I'm current Vice - Chair community for Constantine College (the new one) and a law student so feel free to ask anything
"Halifax chooses the applicant, Mr 295, it's not always clear why"
- Olivander-Impersonator, MuggleSoc
Full price list for different rooms and colleges on the site here http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departments/support-and-admin/accommodation/newprospectivestudents/undergraduates/#tab-2
Prices don't vary as such per college, just which types of rooms are offered do. A premium en-suite is the same price in each college for example
Children Children Children...

Constantine College's BRAND NEW WEBSITE is now live...

Ok, so it is looking a bit empty at the moment, but we're fleshing things out. Save the address and keep checking back as we update it with lots of exciting things relating to freshers' week, activities and events.

Oh, and I forgot to mention! We have forums on there... yep. Ask the welcome committee questions RIGHT ON THE SITE! OMG.
And we're working on a live chat as well...

Did I also plug that is is entirely mobile-friendly. Yeah, thats right! You can even access us on your phone. BAM! Didn't see that one coming did you.

Check us out now: http://www.constantinecollege.com/
Hi, I aim to start York uni in Sept. I want to study psychology and education (classes would be in both the Vanbrugh and psychology departments) - which college would be best? im looking for ensuite self catered and cheap as possible? I've looked at James college first but was wondering if this would fulfil my criteria and what the student life was like at this particular college.
also how does the application process online work? Thanks
uhum ...... mr Vice - Chair sir ,

Constantine is my prefered college choice. so could u tell me how the deluxe rooms are different from the other rooms?
N more importantly , y r people biased towards colleges on heslington west on this site ? , sure there r more number of colleges , but is the heslington east campus so un-noteworthy ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there do u have an answer to my question?
Anyone have an answer I my que?
Original post by Ur's_truly
uhum ...... mr Vice - Chair sir ,

Constantine is my prefered college choice. so could u tell me how the deluxe rooms are different from the other rooms?
N more importantly , y r people biased towards colleges on heslington west on this site ? , sure there r more number of colleges , but is the heslington east campus so un-noteworthy ?

Hey. As for deluxe rooms, the actual room and ensuite are the same as premium ensuite, but UG don't get to apply for premium ensuite so deluxe Ensuite is the only ensuite type for UG. The rooms are fairly big with larger beds and big showers,,,the main difference is that they are the only accommodation to have sofas and TV with TV licence in their kitchen. So in effect you have your own lounge. No other college offers that!

The reason people always go bias for west purely because west has been open since 1960 and has the large majority of students. East has only been open for 6 years or so so is still building up. But, East definitely has better accommodation and better study space. It' far more modern.
Original post by oliviadonegan
also how does the application process online work? Thanks

Hey.. As for the college you're looking for. Most colleges have a decent student life. Perhaps alcuin is most quiet because of its location. I'd say look at the accommodation where you can afford and would be most comfortable as opposed to the college life because they are all much of a muchness.

The application process this year is through batch email. You will get sent an email randomly and it will contain a link to apply for accommodation. Your link will only show what accommodation is left available. So as soon as you get the email id get right onto applying to avoid much disappointment
So! Accommodation applications opened to unconditional students today!

In Constantine, Cat (Chair) and I (Vice-Chair for Community) got a little bit eager to see how applications were coming along..

and we filmed our visit to the office!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW8hylvJfn4

Be prepared to laugh at us, because this OSCAR performance has just wiped out any street cred we had ^_^

#Constantineftw #Muchlove #OMGApplications

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending