The Student Room Group

CURRENT STUDENT - Economics at uni of nottingham - ask me something.

Scroll to see replies

How's third year going? Harder than 2nd?
Original post by economicsuon
Anyone out there with questions?

What kind of job do you want to get into once you graduate? :smile:

Haven't checked through this thread yet so sorry if you've already answered a similar question.
Bumping before I leave uni...
Reply 203
I have an offer for straight econ at nottingham, however I am put off by the dissertation. What did you/do you think of it?
Original post by sr_10
I have an offer for straight econ at nottingham, however I am put off by the dissertation. What did you/do you think of it?

I have just completed my dissertation, I would say do not be put off by it! A lot of econ courses have dissertations that are compulsory to my knowledge,

You can do it in whatever field you like, something that interests you or that you find a passion for in the coming years e.g. financial markets, I know people who have done theirs on the topic of sport, finance, the possibilities are endless,

It is not as if you're thrown into the deep end and left to think of everything by yourself, Nottingham provide lectures to go to on how to think of and write your dissertation, seminars to help brainstorm ideas and perfect your methodology,

I would say please dont worry about a dissertation this early however as most people only come up with their research topic in the third year! :smile:

Hope this helps
JUST GRADUATED. WILL CHECK THIS AGAIN FOR ANOTHER WEEK OR TWO BEFORE I START WORK SO ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK ASAP!! Thanks!
Reply 206
What did you graduate with? What modules did you enjoy and what modules did you dislike?

JUST GRADUATED. WILL CHECK THIS AGAIN FOR ANOTHER WEEK OR TWO BEFORE I START WORK SO ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK ASAP!! Thanks!
Original post by Rajive
What did you graduate with? What modules did you enjoy and what modules did you dislike?

I graduated with first class honours (73%) average,

In terms of which modules I liked/disliked it just comes down to personal preference, if you're a fan of more mathsy modules I would recommend ones such as industrial economics, financial and monetary economics.

I wasn't such a fan of modules that were very heavily content based such as health economics

Hope this helps!
Well you'll be earning a hell of a lot fo money.
Hi Guys, I really want to apply for Economics at Nottingham but feel I messed up AS levels?

Maths: A
Economics: B
History: B
Further Maths: C

Is there still a chance of getting in?
Original post by QuantumStuff
Hi Guys, I really want to apply for Economics at Nottingham but feel I messed up AS levels?

Maths: A
Economics: B
History: B
Further Maths: C

Is there still a chance of getting in?

I got AAABB in my AS and then got AAAA at A2 so if you put the work in you can definitely get there! It's worth putting down on your UCAS in my opinion as well as some respectable uni's that ask for ABB as well and see what happens!

If you drop further maths and can get your econ and history teacher to predict you an A in those subjects, and then maths to predict you an A* your application will look great!

Best of luck!
Hey, what was your take on industrial economics while you were there? Did those on that course do as well as those on straight econ in terms of internships and graduate Jobs?
Original post by nitin985
Hey, what was your take on industrial economics while you were there? Did those on that course do as well as those on straight econ in terms of internships and graduate Jobs?

Hi, answered a question similar to this previously...

I don't know too many people on that course but it is similar to 'Business Studies' offered at other universities, taught by the business school and contains modules more targeted at business/management students.

Straight economics is IMO much more theoretical and much more maths based (depending on your choices) with econometrics etc which would not feature much in industrial economics.

The people I know on the IE course did not get grad jobs in areas such as IBD and Sales & Trading (these are just the select few I know), more consulting and accounting but saying that, I'm sure there will be some who did get the jobs/internships that most econ students are gunning for.
Can those who take industrial economics join the economics and finance society?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, answered a question similar to this previously...

I don't know too many people on that course but it is similar to 'Business Studies' offered at other universities, taught by the business school and contains modules more targeted at business/management students.

Straight economics is IMO much more theoretical and much more maths based (depending on your choices) with econometrics etc which would not feature much in industrial economics.

The people I know on the IE course did not get grad jobs in areas such as IBD and Sales & Trading (these are just the select few I know), more consulting and accounting but saying that, I'm sure there will be some who did get the jobs/internships that most econ students are gunning for.

Okay thanks for that! I was originally gonna do straight econ but missed out on the grades so went for IE through clearing. Do you have any further insight into the IE degree by any chance? thank you
Original post by nitin985
Okay thanks for that! I was originally gonna do straight econ but missed out on the grades so went for IE through clearing. Do you have any further insight into the IE degree by any chance? thank you

Not the best person to ask about this as it is completely different to an economics degree but I think it is more applied, much less maths if that's a good thing for yourself?
There is some econ theory but again nothing too theoretical (I highly doubt any econometrics) - best thing to do is ring the business school and ask for more info or for the email of some of the teaching staff
I got AAABB in my AS and then got AAAA at A2 so if you put the work in you can definitely get there! It's worth putting down on your UCAS in my opinion as well as some respectable uni's that ask for ABB as well and see what happens!

If you drop further maths and can get your econ and history teacher to predict you an A in those subjects, and then maths to predict you an A* your application will look great!

Best of luck!

Thing is i've dropped history already...
Original post by blackdiamond97
Can those who take industrial economics join the economics and finance society?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can join any society regardless of your degree - so yes!
Original post by QuantumStuff
Thing is i've dropped history already...

Okay well it may be hard realistically to get an A in further maths unless you are very prepared to put a lot of work in and maybe see if the grades you're putting on your UCAS predicted to be like A*AB you could get an offer,

Since January exams were scrapped (about 1/2 years ago I think?) offers are somewhat weaker for example my offer was AAA/AABB but I know of people who received unconditionals last year and got in with ABB just because grades will on the whole be lower now so you never know and it is worth a shot! Only 1 of your 5 choices isn't it
Basically I need your guidance on whether to apply to Notts for your course as I'm uncertain. I collected my AS results and got AAAB with the B in maths unfortunately. It was quite high and so i'll retake a module to get it to an A grade. But I was wondering if I'm still in with a good chance of getting in to read Economics at Nottingham.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending