The Student Room Group

CURRENT STUDENT - Economics at uni of nottingham - ask me something.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by groovyd97
Hi,
Just wondering, what were your grades and what subjects were they in? What other unis did you apply to?
Also, I know you're going to say Nottingham is the best but how would you compare Nottingham to the likes of Durham, Bristol and Bath?
Finally, if I'm doing 4A2s is it likely I will get an offer of A*ABB?

I picked Bristol over Nottingham - my mate from school went to Nottingham and has just graduated with the same degree as me - econ & metrics

I'd say at Bristol economics is a bit more economics/finance focused - while at Notts you could dabble in things like computer science or psychology.

I think more than anything I'd just compare the cities. I don't regret for one minute deciding to live in Bristol over Nottingham. Bristol is well positioned relative to London - and the university is a stones throw away from some of the best shopping, clubs, restaurants a student could desire.

The down side of Bristol is that it is more expensive (as 2nd and 3rd year accommodation is in city - which is very useful) and because the facilities are quite poor - such as the gym, students union, library - in large part due to the land around Bristol uni being very expensive and various planning laws.
(edited 9 years ago)
what are the typical offers made for economics at nottingham
would i be a able to get in with AABa?
Reply 122
How much maths is involved in the economics course, and what type of maths is it? I was thinking about taking econ + metrics or maths w/ econ
Gonna bump this as I know people are applying around this time... ask me ANYTHING!
Original post by economicsuon
Gonna bump this as I know people are applying around this time... ask me ANYTHING!

Are you applying for any summer interships or spring weeks for investment banking? I havn't applied notts, but just curious if people manage to get into IB or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abccba120
Are you applying for any summer interships or spring weeks for investment banking? I havn't applied notts, but just curious if people manage to get into IB or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah and yeah they do
Yeah and yeah they do

Many get into FO? or are they moslty MO/BO roles?

Hello! I'm extremely interested in going to Nottingham to study Economics and I was wondering: other than the academics, what else would help me stand out to Nottingham that I can do? Like, books, work experience... anything really!

I'm currently an AS student and you might tell i'm quite excited :biggrin:
Original post by abccba120
Many get into FO? or are they moslty MO/BO roles?

I dont know about everyone but I know a lot of people who get into 'FO' yeah
Original post by Peternvy
Hello! I'm extremely interested in going to Nottingham to study Economics and I was wondering: other than the academics, what else would help me stand out to Nottingham that I can do? Like, books, work experience... anything really!

I'm currently an AS student and you might tell i'm quite excited :biggrin:

I'll PM you
What is the general atmosphere like at notts? Students/city/accomodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nazcalis
What is the general atmosphere like at notts? Students/city/accomodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All really good! Thousands of students from all different backgrounds so its really diverse which I think is a good thing!
The city is really big, you'll be able to get anything you want in the city, the nightlife in the city is also really good as there are two major universities with a lot of students here so the student nightlife is obviously going to be very good.
The accommodation I thought was good! I was in catered halls but you can also go self-catered!
To get a BSc you either have to follow the hard maths/econometrics route or the easy route but pass the easy modules first time and in the third year take one of about 5 or 6 modules that allows you to get a BSc but don't worry about those yet!

For the personal statement maybe just include sports teams, personal interests, for books there are a list that most people read in college that are economics related such as Freakonomics, SuperFreakonomics, The Undercover Economist, FreeLunch etc, read some of those, the first one is the best and include that with maybe a quote? I did.

You have to be very determined and happy to work long and hard hours, a graduate can be expected to work ridiculous hours e.g 6am til 10pm so be ready for that?

14 hours ?? Is that even legal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fudgecake22

Posted from TSR Mobile

In roles like IBD so I hear the hours are a lot worse than that!!
In roles like IBD so I hear the hours are a lot worse than that!!

Surely not for an analyst which is entry level or associate. But ..in 10 years times these people are earning like £1 million per year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely not for an analyst which is entry level or associate. But ..in 10 years times these people are earning like £1 million per year

Posted from TSR Mobile

The hours will be horrific, 9-5 will never exist haha!
The hours will be horrific, 9-5 will never exist haha!

Law firms are nicer then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 137

Yes, it is. On joining the firm you sign a waiver of employment related rights. Well, you either sign or don't get the job pretty much.

Also as for your later comment on law firms, they aren't any nicer in commercial law. The people at the law firm in my building are often in on weekends and work very late during the week.

I don't work in banking, but do work in investments, and often have found myself in on the weekend or pulling at 14 hour shift.
Thank you!! (Economicsuon)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nazcalis
Thank you!! (Economicsuon)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly no problem! Anything else you want to know dont hesitate to ask! Can post on here or if you'd prefer message me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending