The Student Room Group

CURRENT STUDENT - Economics at uni of nottingham - ask me something.

I am a current student at the University of Nottingham and I have just finished my first year. I remember when I was applying for university I would stalk TSR and wish there was a current student to ask questions about the course, the uni etc, so if anyone who is applying here for this course or thinking about it has any questions, FIRE AWAY. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes thank you finally! What are your impressions of the course??? Easy or hard?? How much maths?? And do you do loads of essays?? And how much is it different to a levels (if you did them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slim Shady 96
Yes thank you finally! What are your impressions of the course??? Easy or hard?? How much maths?? And do you do loads of essays?? And how much is it different to a levels (if you did them)

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what do you plan on doing after your degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And what do you plan on doing after your degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! There are two modules one in the first term that's maths based, differentiation, algebra etc, you can take the harder route if you want which has matrices and harder differentiation in or the easier route and still end up with a BSc so id recommend that.
The second term is statistics or econometrics (the harder route) but the main difference is the easier route is more applied whilst the harder focuses on the theory. The main topics in the stats route are hypothesis testing, using normal binomial and Poisson distribution and regression.

There are essays you have to do of course, you do many modules each term, some can be outside of the economics school but you get given essays to complete during the term which are worth doing as they're similar to what comes up in the exam.

I did both maths and economics A level, the core micro and macro topics aren't too similar to economics a level to be honest, macro at nottingham is quite in depth looking at macroeconomic models, there are ALOT of different graphs to learn, I would reccomend for micro reading one of the books over the summer it will help a lot. Go on amazon and buy the first micro book it says to buy if you look online at the course then click on micro!

I did all of this and managed to get a 1st in the first year, I got my results yesterday!

After Uni I want to get into investment banking, very interesting and also the pay is ridiculous haha! Any more questions? :smile:
Original post by economicsuon
Hi! There are two modules one in the first term that's maths based, differentiation, algebra etc, you can take the harder route if you want which has matrices and harder differentiation in or the easier route and still end up with a BSc so id recommend that.
The second term is statistics or econometrics (the harder route) but the main difference is the easier route is more applied whilst the harder focuses on the theory. The main topics in the stats route are hypothesis testing, using normal binomial and Poisson distribution and regression.

There are essays you have to do of course, you do many modules each term, some can be outside of the economics school but you get given essays to complete during the term which are worth doing as they're similar to what comes up in the exam.

I did both maths and economics A level, the core micro and macro topics aren't too similar to economics a level to be honest, macro at nottingham is quite in depth looking at macroeconomic models, there are ALOT of different graphs to learn, I would reccomend for micro reading one of the books over the summer it will help a lot. Go on amazon and buy the first micro book it says to buy if you look online at the course then click on micro!

I did all of this and managed to get a 1st in the first year, I got my results yesterday!

After Uni I want to get into investment banking, very interesting and also the pay is ridiculous haha! Any more questions? :smile:

Thanks for the reply! :smile: and congratulations on your result! Do the modules you do during your degree have an impact like don't you get the same bsc degree whatever you do? And I'm quite stuck with my personal statement like I don't have many extra curricular activities could you give me any tips on what I could take on which could help me out? :smile: or what I could include and did you do any work experience? And about the books could I put some in my personal statement which I haven't read?? And omg I was also interested in investment banking! Besides the degree do you have to do anything else to get into investment banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply! :smile: and congratulations on your result! Do the modules you do during your degree have an impact like don't you get the same bsc degree whatever you do? And I'm quite stuck with my personal statement like I don't have many extra curricular activities could you give me any tips on what I could take on which could help me out? :smile: or what I could include and did you do any work experience? And about the books could I put some in my personal statement which I haven't read?? And omg I was also interested in investment banking! Besides the degree do you have to do anything else to get into investment banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To get a BSc you either have to follow the hard maths/econometrics route or the easy route but pass the easy modules first time and in the third year take one of about 5 or 6 modules that allows you to get a BSc but don't worry about those yet!

For the personal statement maybe just include sports teams, personal interests, for books there are a list that most people read in college that are economics related such as Freakonomics, SuperFreakonomics, The Undercover Economist, FreeLunch etc, read some of those, the first one is the best and include that with maybe a quote? I did.

You have to be very determined and happy to work long and hard hours, a graduate can be expected to work ridiculous hours e.g 6am til 10pm so be ready for that?
To get a BSc you either have to follow the hard maths/econometrics route or the easy route but pass the easy modules first time and in the third year take one of about 5 or 6 modules that allows you to get a BSc but don't worry about those yet!

For the personal statement maybe just include sports teams, personal interests, for books there are a list that most people read in college that are economics related such as Freakonomics, SuperFreakonomics, The Undercover Economist, FreeLunch etc, read some of those, the first one is the best and include that with maybe a quote? I did.

You have to be very determined and happy to work long and hard hours, a graduate can be expected to work ridiculous hours e.g 6am til 10pm so be ready for that?

I don't mind working long hours as long as I get a chance to do it in the first place aha, and I always had this question about the universities, like say If you need AAA to get in but in your AS you get ABC or BBC should you still apply for the course that needs an AAA?? Even if you plan on retaking and getting a better grade? Would you still get an offer? Yeah on my personal statement I plan on mentioning me being form captain, helping kids from the lower year, doing a bit of charity (might lie about it if I don't get a chance over summer) reading the books, and possibly blood donations?? Is that enough? And how else could I show I'm interested in the subject eg academic part of the personal statement. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't mind working long hours as long as I get a chance to do it in the first place aha, and I always had this question about the universities, like say If you need AAA to get in but in your AS you get ABC or BBC should you still apply for the course that needs an AAA?? Even if you plan on retaking and getting a better grade? Would you still get an offer? Yeah on my personal statement I plan on mentioning me being form captain, helping kids from the lower year, doing a bit of charity (might lie about it if I don't get a chance over summer) reading the books, and possibly blood donations?? Is that enough? And how else could I show I'm interested in the subject eg academic part of the personal statement. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely still apply but just make sure your teachers are happy to predict you those grades! Yeah that's good I mean I don't know if they'll read into the blood donations etc
Maybe mention wider reading? Say you have a subscription to The Economist, The Financial Times etc then mention investment banking this helps you increase your knowledge of markets etc?
Definitely still apply but just make sure your teachers are happy to predict you those grades! Yeah that's good I mean I don't know if they'll read into the blood donations etc
Maybe mention wider reading? Say you have a subscription to The Economist, The Financial Times etc then mention investment banking this helps you increase your knowledge of markets etc?

Omg yes thank you that's the sort of stuff I need!! I'll definitely add that in! Also it'll take me 3 years to finish my a levels so it's my second year now but I spent my first doing AS's and now re-doing some and then A2s hope that doesn't decrease my chances that much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg yes thank you that's the sort of stuff I need!! I'll definitely add that in! Also it'll take me 3 years to finish my a levels so it's my second year now but I spent my first doing AS's and now re-doing some and then A2s hope that doesn't decrease my chances that much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, I may apply to Nottingham too! Are you enjoying it there? I live in kent so not sure about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
What's the social life like? And Is it easy to get laid?
Also, I may apply to Nottingham too! Are you enjoying it there? I live in kent so not sure about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's great here the campus is great, the facilities on campus are amazing and the nights out are the best!
Since you're an economics student could you tell me a few theories that are important that I can mention in my personal statement like I know a few but I want the ones that'll give me a better chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since you're an economics student could you tell me a few theories that are important that I can mention in my personal statement like I know a few but I want the ones that'll give me a better chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not too sure mentioning many theories will do much? Maybe mention some famous economists Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Keynes etc, mention some of their work?
I'm not too sure mentioning many theories will do much? Maybe mention some famous economists Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Keynes etc, mention some of their work?

Yeah but I'm not really sure how to link them and show why I find it interesting rather than just saying "yeah I find Keynes interesting" aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah but I'm not really sure how to link them and show why I find it interesting rather than just saying "yeah I find Keynes interesting" aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe read some of their work, do some research on them?
Reply 16
Did you have an interview?
Maybe read some of their work, do some research on them?

Yeah I'll look into it but it might be at a really high level so harder for me to link it, I was just wondering that you've probably done loads of theories so you would know how you could link them in, and are most of the people doing your course boys or girl?? Or even spread?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much 'real world' stuff do you do?

How much of your course content is based on real world economics and events? The latest economic research?
Original post by jdmooney
Did you have an interview?

No

Quick Reply

Latest