The Student Room Group

Philosophy Reading List

So, I need to brush up on my philosophy for the application season in September.

For all my budding philosophers- what are the MUST reads of the philosophy genre?

kthnxbai
Reply 1
Original post by kurofune
So, I need to brush up on my philosophy for the application season in September.

For all my budding philosophers- what are the MUST reads of the philosophy genre?

kthnxbai

Depends what area of philosophy you're interested in.
Reply 2
Everything.

Really though, just slap on some philosophy books that enlightened you.
Reply 3
Everything.

Really though, just slap on some philosophy books that enlightened you.

Sure, I'll list the ones I've used through my courses, and some extra.

Descartes's Meditations
Kant's Critique of Practical Reason
Paul Guyer's The Cambridge Companion to Kant
Lots of Freud
Sam Harris's Free Will
Susan Wolf's Freedom within Reason
Robert Paul Wolff's In Defense of Anarchism (free, here)
Rodger Bacon's Moralis Philosophia
Paul Hawken et al Natural Capitalism
Richard Smith et al Comprehending Envy
Helmut Schoek et al Envy
George Foster et al The Anatomy of Envy
Gerrod Parrott's The Emotional Experiences of Envy and Jealousy

That's a very limited selection of the books I've used. Some extras:

Timothy Keller's The Reason for God
Lawrence Krauss's A Universe from Nothing
Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow
Orwell's 1984
The Art of Controversy
Christopher Hitchen's God is Not Great & Hitch 22

Finally the resource I've probably used the most:

http://plato.stanford.edu/
Reply 4
I wouldn't start that hard. Get a couple introduction books to get an overview of people you may like, then once you find someone you like focus in on what that person has written.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Sophie's World, it's a novel really but it contains a lot of detailed philosophical things. All I can remember off the top of my head is Plato's theory about the shadows, and something to do with a cookie mold or something.
It's entertaining because it's got a decent storyline, but I was young so I found myself skipping the many, many pages of in depth theories. But yeah, if you want a more light-hearted recap of it all then this is definitely a good choice

but whatever you do don't google the story of it because it's got a major plot twist at the end and it makes it all worthwhile
Nigel Warburton's 'A little history of Philosophy' is really good for starting out and gives you concise and detailed information about all the major philosophers of the past. He makes it quite entertaining as well. I would definitely recommend it.
Reply 7
Aristotle.
Reply 8
Bertrand Russell's A History of Western Philosophy works as a good recap of philosophical thinkers and their ideas.
Reply 9
I would recommend nigel warburton's "Philosophy: The Basics" as a good introduction.
Novels like 1984, Brave New World and stuff by Camus, Sartre, Dostoevsky etc. can be an enjoyable way to get you thinking about philosophy.
Also, 'Humanity' by Jonothan Glover is a very interesting look at the ethics and politics behind some of the atrocities of the 20th century.
Otherwise, the 'Very Short Introduction' series can be useful :smile:
Original post by miser
Bertrand Russell's A History of Western Philosophy works as a good recap of philosophical thinkers and their ideas.

I disagree sorry, and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like continental philosophy. Russell is no historian (he does make this clear that it is his own personal views) but I think he fails to understand and portray a correct picture of many thinkers.

If you have the money Copleston's History of Philosophy series is excellent, far more objective and 'analytical'.

kthnxbai

As well as some introductory literature try a few thought-provoking films:

The Pervert's Guide to Cinema (2006).
Being John Malkovich (1999).
Fight Club (1999).
Memento (2000).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending