The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone, I will be having an interview next wednesday with school direct. They asked me to prepare a 20 min problem solving activity in numeracy for year 3 class and there would be 21 pupils. Plz help me what activity would be best for this age group and secondly at the start of the activity do I ask the children to tell their names and do some ice breaking activity?or just go straight on the activity? Your help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks for reading.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by noorii
Interview for pgce secondary mathematics at MMU next week, happy but nervous!

Anyone gone for an interview at MMU recently for a secondary pgce? Haven't received any information on it through email yet!

Hey, I had an interview at MMU last week for Secondary English and got notified of a conditional offer the next day.

Generally it was quite laid back and the interviewers were nice and friendly so I wouldn't worry too much! We only had an interview and no teaching task, but at another university got told marked on lesson plans and a discussion task as well.

They didn't seem overly fussed about you having in depth knowledge about the curriculum, but if you know a few basic points it's always good to throw them in! The main thing is to speak slow and clear, and to show your enthusiasm! If you can do that I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine - and seeing as maths is a shortage subject they will be snatching you up ASAP!
Original post by Sim245
Hi guys. I have interviews in the first two weeks of December. However, on attendance I'll only have passed my literacy test. The numeracy is scheduled for 30/12. Do you think this will effect any decision the interviewers make, because I've read that they prefer you to have passed the tests prior to interview? With my part time job, school volunteering and interview prep, I am not in a position to take the numeracy yet.

Really?

That's the first time I heard that.
If they want to offer you a place, I'm pretty sure they will say that you must pass your skills tests prior to starting
Original post by lstones1
Ahh that is quite a long time!! But just hoping I hear something back because that would be my first choice. Fingers crossed and good luck!!

My deadline on UCAS is 6th January so I have no idea what will happen :confused: Good luck to you too!! x
Hi everyone have a strange question.

Ive applied for the primary pgce and have even secured a few places, my problem is that I was on the course a few years ago but had to drop out due to family reasons. Does anyone know if i would still be eligible for the gvt degree bursary?

Thanks a lot!
So I'm seeing that some unis have their own numeracy/literacy exams on the day of interview. Does anyone know how I could start to prepare for these? Are they similar to the skills tests?
So I have my interview bits through. I have to do a ten minute story sharing activity with no text - just props and then I have to give a five minute non it based presentation on "what effective teaching looks like" with a 30 minute interview to follow. I feel so anxious. I just want to get it right, but I have no idea what to expect! The story sharing, I have so many ideas, but not sure what people normally do? Scary.
Original post by Zoe_88
So I'm seeing that some unis have their own numeracy/literacy exams on the day of interview. Does anyone know how I could start to prepare for these? Are they similar to the skills tests?

Bbc bitesize from ks1-3 I used to prepare. From what I've seen of skills tests they aren't that similar. It's just to test what your current knowledge is so they can see where people may need support if they get on the course :-)
Original post by iloveunicorns
Hey, I had an interview at MMU last week for Secondary English and got notified of a conditional offer the next day.

Generally it was quite laid back and the interviewers were nice and friendly so I wouldn't worry too much! We only had an interview and no teaching task, but at another university got told marked on lesson plans and a discussion task as well.

They didn't seem overly fussed about you having in depth knowledge about the curriculum, but if you know a few basic points it's always good to throw them in! The main thing is to speak slow and clear, and to show your enthusiasm! If you can do that I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine - and seeing as maths is a shortage subject they will be snatching you up ASAP!

Thank you for the advice! And congratulation on getting an offer :smile:
Original post by laurennmc
Bbc bitesize from ks1-3 I used to prepare. From what I've seen of skills tests they aren't that similar. It's just to test what your current knowledge is so they can see where people may need support if they get on the course :-)

Thank you :-) are they not too strict on what score you get then?
Original post by Zoe_88
Thank you :-) are they not too strict on what score you get then?

Ours was out of 60 at edge hill, 20 for maths, english and science. Apparently they want at least half Mark but we didn't find out our scores! If you have a strong interview etc then I think they'll be more lenient with your mark. They just send you feedback with what you need to improve on - my feedback from edge hill is in the post now so I'm interested for it to arrive so I can see what went well and what didnt haha!
Original post by laurennmc
Ours was out of 60 at edge hill, 20 for maths, english and science. Apparently they want at least half Mark but we didn't find out our scores! If you have a strong interview etc then I think they'll be more lenient with your mark. They just send you feedback with what you need to improve on - my feedback from edge hill is in the post now so I'm interested for it to arrive so I can see what went well and what didnt haha!

Ok that's comforting as maths is not my strong point and I'm only just starting to revise for my skills tests with my application only just being sent and there's no dates available till February for the tests :-/ Were they timed like the skills tests?
Also I've sent off my application before applying for the skills tests. On the skills test website it says you should have booked your skills tests before applying for the courses :confused: on my application there is no date for the skills tests as I hadn't booked them yet. Is this going to go against me getting an interview? Obviously I'm going to do them because I have to but I'm worried they'll see no date booked for them and not give me an interview :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2153
Does anyone else have an interview at Liverpool Hope for PGCE Primary on December 10th? I'm so nervous! :ahhhhh:
Original post by JennyP
Does anyone else have an interview at Liverpool Hope for PGCE Primary on December 10th? I'm so nervous! :ahhhhh:

I applied to Liverpool Hope but my application only got sent off yesterday due to waiting for my second reference. I'm hoping I'm not too late to get an invite to this interview date, they've had their first interviews today. I'm deciding what to do for the presentation part in case I get an interview. It's my top choice.
Reply 2155
Original post by Zoe_88
I applied to Liverpool Hope but my application only got sent off yesterday due to waiting for my second reference. I'm hoping I'm not too late to get an invite to this interview date, they've had their first interviews today. I'm deciding what to do for the presentation part in case I get an interview. It's my top choice.

It's my first choice too. I've just booked my flights. Yeah, it seems like we have to do quite a bit for the interview. I'm still deciding on what to bring for the presentation part. But I think maybe a book will work best for me as I can't bring luggage. I don't think it matters too much what we bring, just as long as we can explain how we can use it in lessons and what areas of the curriculum it relates to. To be honest, I'm more nervous about the maths test. Lol. Maths is not my friend. Hope you hear soon! I heard five days after submitting my application! :smile:
Original post by JennyP
It's my first choice too. I've just booked my flights. Yeah, it seems like we have to do quite a bit for the interview. I'm still deciding on what to bring for the presentation part. But I think maybe a book will work best for me as I can't bring luggage. I don't think it matters too much what we bring, just as long as we can explain how we can use it in lessons and what areas of the curriculum it relates to. To be honest, I'm more nervous about the maths test. Lol. Maths is not my friend. Hope you hear soon! I heard five days after submitting my application! :smile:

Yeah I was thinking of doing a book or a poem as I want to do things related to the English part of curriculum as it's probably my strongest area. I'm the same as you with maths though, awful! Hope it's not too hard :-/ Hopefully I'll see you there!
So happy I've just passed my numeracy skills test :smile:
I'm not sure who it was but someone asked previously if anyone had heard from chester, I just got an interview offer for them for early years primary on the 10th December but I've already got an interview then so I've asked to reschedule
Original post by Zoe_88
Ok that's comforting as maths is not my strong point and I'm only just starting to revise for my skills tests with my application only just being sent and there's no dates available till February for the tests :-/ Were they timed like the skills tests?

They were loosely timed, they give you about two hours to complete the tests and do the essay question at edge hill. Not sure how it works elsewhere!
Was this by post or track for chester? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending