The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brendonbackflip
Not sure this is the best place to post it, but I was hoping someone might be able to tell me this:
After you've completed you're PGCE, and wish to complete the MA, are you restricted to studying the masters course at the university you received your PGCE from, or are you able to go to a different university? For example, could you get a PGCE from Manchester Met, then get an MA in Education at Manchester, or would you have to stay at Man Met etc.

Hi, I have looked into this and some MA courses allow you to transfer your masters credits from the PGCE over to the course as I have been given a place to study a MA part time when my PGCE finishes during my NQT year. :smile:
Ahh I can't believe I missed all this networking and blog sharing while I was on holiday! I've added all of your blogs to my links page and can't wait to share all of your PGCE journeys - I'm starting to get so excited for September! :biggrin:

Also if anyone hasn't already got me on Twitter, I'm @xjosielr, same as on here :smile:
Original post by xjosielr
Ahh I can't believe I missed all this networking and blog sharing while I was on holiday! I've added all of your blogs to my links page and can't wait to share all of your PGCE journeys - I'm starting to get so excited for September! :biggrin:

Also if anyone hasn't already got me on Twitter, I'm @xjosielr, same as on here :smile:

Thanks for adding my blog Wonderwhiz Arts on your links page. (Yes I am 5-11 as there was a ? next to this!)

I am a bit confused how to follow your blog!?
Also just joined the blogging world! As I enjoyed reading everyone elses so much.
Check mine here :smile:

https://fromwaitresstotraineeteacher.wordpress.com/

Also on twitter I am @zoemarras
Original post by kwhite7
Thanks for adding my blog Wonderwhiz Arts on your links page. (Yes I am 5-11 as there was a ? next to this!)

I am a bit confused how to follow your blog!?

You're right, it was difficult to follow my blog! I think because it was a self-hosted WP blog rather than hosted on WP.com - anyway I've moved the blog now (hated the old name anyway!) to http://becomingmissroberts.wordpress.com and it is now much easier to follow me - thank you for pointing it out :smile:

Original post by Zoe_88
Also just joined the blogging world! As I enjoyed reading everyone elses so much.
Check mine here :smile:

https://fromwaitresstotraineeteacher.wordpress.com/

Also on twitter I am @zoemarras

Yay! I'll get following you :biggrin:
You're right, it was difficult to follow my blog! I think because it was a self-hosted WP blog rather than hosted on WP.com - anyway I've moved the blog now (hated the old name anyway!) to http://becomingmissroberts.wordpress.com and it is now much easier to follow me - thank you for pointing it out :smile:

Yay! I'll get following you :biggrin:

Was having trouble following your blog too but it seems to be working fine now so I'm following you also :-) and thanks for the follow. Quite a number of little bloggers we've got on the go now!
I thought i would start writing a blog after reading those linked on this thread. I'm not technically doing a PGCE but i am starting my early years teacher course in a few weeks time.

Here's my blog
Reply 4927
Finally decided to bite the bullet and do my teacher training. It was something I expected to do later on in life, but due to current circumstances now seems to be the best time. I've started to apply for the 2015 intake, however I have not done any work experience in a school yet and I've noticed a lot of places ask for this. Please could anyone tell me how essential this was? I've led a few courses as part of my previous job and this is what has spurred me on into applying now but I doubt this is enough experience in their eyes?

If its not I shall try again for 2016 - I was hoping the get into teaching group would get back in contact with me. They rang yesterday but I couldn't take the call - hopefully they wont take too long!!!

Good luck to everyone starting in 2015 :smile:
I've not made a blog but if people have Twitter follow me at @asherphysics
I have a blog but at the moment there's nothing teacher-y on it yet, it's still a travel blog. Planning to start blogging again once in a week or two (I haven't left my job yet so I'm in hiding atm!) Would be happy to follow you guys when I blog again
Original post by LizB90
Finally decided to bite the bullet and do my teacher training. It was something I expected to do later on in life, but due to current circumstances now seems to be the best time. I've started to apply for the 2015 intake, however I have not done any work experience in a school yet and I've noticed a lot of places ask for this. Please could anyone tell me how essential this was? I've led a few courses as part of my previous job and this is what has spurred me on into applying now but I doubt this is enough experience in their eyes?

If its not I shall try again for 2016 - I was hoping the get into teaching group would get back in contact with me. They rang yesterday but I couldn't take the call - hopefully they wont take too long!!!

I've always heard it's essential, and to be honest I think recent classroom experience is pretty important. My university only needs 5 days of experience. Others want more like 2-3 weeks or more, but my uni said they think you can get the same value from a shorter experience.

But almost no unis I've seen will take someone with no experience at all.
Original post by LizB90

Email some of the course providers you are interested in applying to and ask them whether they would consider you. If they have a number of places left to fill at this late stage in the recruitment cycle, it's possible that this entry requirement isn't as important to them but, typically, you do need to have some experience working with the age group you are interested in teaching before applying.

How fussy course providers are about this requirement tends to depend on their applicants to places ratio. Some course providers are happy with as little as two days' experience but a number of them require the equivalent of at least two weeks. This is because the realities of teaching are often very different to what people imagine - observing teachers and working with children is the only way to gauge properly whether it is the right career for you and if you would enjoy it.
Reply 4932
Thanks guys - when I went in to our local careers advice centre they said as there are vacancies left at alot of our local unis to just apply and see what the uni's say, I've also asked about having to do a SKE, I think my first degree is too specific. If I don't get accepted for apply 1, there is a strong possibility I may have completed some work experience in time for the end of apply 2. At least that way it is a second chance even if I need to move further a field.

I know teaching is something I want to do. Luckily I do have a couple of friends who are teachers so I've managed to get some advice from them, also it may prove useful for planning in work experience - I can say I know so and so, it's a foot in the door! I've also applied for some paid jobs through the education network, so that if I do have to wait the year, I could have nigh on a years worth of experience under my belt by this point next year.

Thanks again for all your advice :smile:
Could anyone have a look over my linkedin profile that I'll be using for teaching and see what they think. I have to provide one for HMC Teacher Training

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/joshuadavidwood

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys, I made some connections with other bloggers but I changed my URL so not sure if my blog posts will come up in your reader! So you may have to unfollow then re-follow! Thanks in advance- would love to stay connected!

https://khiawonderwhiz.wordpress.com/ (formerly wonderwhizarts)

:smile:
Original post by kwhite7
Hey guys, I made some connections with other bloggers but I changed my URL so not sure if my blog posts will come up in your reader! So you may have to unfollow then re-follow! Thanks in advance- would love to stay connected!

https://khiawonderwhiz.wordpress.com/ (formerly wonderwhizarts)

:smile:

I'm still following you from before so it must update automatically :smile:
I'm still following you from before so it must update automatically :smile:

Thanks for letting me know! Hopefully I still come up in your reader :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi guys :smile:
I'm seeing people post their blogs so I might as well do the same!
I've set mine up today, it's MissBurkeinTheClassroom.wordpress.com

If anyone is on wordpress, please follow and I'll follow back :smile:
Original post by MissJGB
Hi guys :smile:
I'm seeing people post their blogs so I might as well do the same!
I've set mine up today, it's MissBurkeinTheClassroom.wordpress.com

If anyone is on wordpress, please follow and I'll follow back :smile:

Just followed :biggrin: I'm http://becomingmissroberts.wordpress.com :smile:

Thanks! I've just followed you back and I think I've followed you on twitter.
I made my new twitter account like an hour ago so it's very bare the moment!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending