The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by sunshine25
Hey! Thanks for your reply! I haven't been to any tutorials because of work commitments so that's what is worrying me, the OU can give generic references about academic abilities so not sure if this would be good enough? I'm going to try and fit in as much work experience as possible but with work I'm not sure how many days I will be ably to put in as I work Monday to Friday xx

I've seen the generic references and they are sent to you as a PDF whereas the UCAS one needs to be written on the actual website. Maybe contact the OU and see what they say? Or UCAS and see what they recommend? I'm really lucky to have had such a nice tutor last year and I went to all of his tutorials so I ended up seeing a lot of him. I know some people who have struggled to get an appropriate reference.
Maybe try and take a week off work and get some experience in then? I'm sure that would be enough xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GazelleRot
I currently have a job and struggle as it is! Will see what my options are :/ wanted to just get into teaching straight away, may need to do a conversion course anyway as my degree is in Management and Accounting and I want to go into secondary maths.

If over 50% of your modules (probably the accounting ones?) are maths related then you might be alright, I have a friend who got into maths with a 3rd as well as they are really crying out for them. This might not be the case for everyone, however, but it might be worth contacting some of the unis you are interested in? :smile: some run summer enhancement courses as well.

I was supposed to start a Masters next month but after spending this year working with children I am really tempted by teaching. My plan is to stay working but get some experience in schools and see if it is for me. So I might be applying :P
I've just booked a week off work November 10-14 I can't have any longer off so hopefully that will be okay plus the years experience I had previously! Fingers crossed :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by sunshine25
I've just booked a week off work November 10-14 I can't have any longer off so hopefully that will be okay plus the years experience I had previously! Fingers crossed :smile:

Fingers crossed! Maybe email a couple of unis and see what they say?
Just a thought - could you maybe volunteer at Rainbows/Beavers or the versions for older children to get more experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know the pgce route are wanting 2 weeks recent experience but I'm looking more at school dirext anyway I think that's the better fit for me :smile: I've emailed a few schools and alliances and they send generic emails back as it doesn't open until November! I'll just have to wing it lol I'll try rainbows in my area thank you! X
Original post by 3dguy
Hi im wondering how the referee works? do they make them proove themselves?

i want to send it to a friend who is a primary teacher for first time wondering if its allowed?

what about experience how do they proove it? i did 1 week experience can i change this to 1 month surely they cant find out lol

Thx!

All references from a school have to be from the headteacher. Referees also check your application, so don't lie. Also, spell check is amazing prove* not proove. If you want to teach it would be a good idea to brush up on your grammar and spelling, as you have to pass a literacy skills test and most universities give you an English & maths test at interview. Good luck! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JesusReigns
proof* not proove.

Prove.
Original post by JesusReigns
All references from a school have to be from the headteacher. Referees also check your application, so don't lie. Also, spell check is amazing proof* not proove. If you want to teach it would be a good idea to brush up on your grammar and spelling, as you have to pass a literacy skills test and most universities give you an English & maths test at interview. Good luck! :smile:

False.
This may sound a bit of a silly question but when you make an application for the PGCE and you apply for one course at x Uni, so the primary pathway for example, can you then apply for the early years pathway for example at the same uni in a different application?! If someone could give me some advice that would be brilliant :smile: thanks in advance! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean by 'in a different application'. If you mean you make an application one year and apply for general primary, then make another application the next year and apply for early years at the same uni, then that's perfectly fine to do.

However I don't think you can put the same uni down twice on the same application. Even if you can it's not a good idea, it's a waste of a choice. (1) It shows you're not certain about who you want to teach, and (2) if you get rejected from the Uni for one pathway it's likely they'll reject you for the second pathway as well. You're better off applying for a range of pathways to different uni's on the same application.
Thanks, I just wanted to check :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all! I'm going to be applying for 2015 intake too. Currently resiting my science gcse! The entry requirements are so strict now don't you think? I've been working for 5 years in a primary school. Two years of which I've been a cover supervisor covering teachers whilst they plan. I just hope it's enough. So desperate to become a teacher now. Looking to apply in Cardiff, bristol and bath spa! Does anybody know how many universities you can apply to?

Thanks jade xx
Reply 72
hi how will they contact my referre? Will they phone or email them? what will they ask? Thx
UCAS emails your referee's to request a reference. Your referee's use the guidance given by UCAS to write your reference. They don't have direct contact with the university. If the university wants extra information or clarification on any aspect of your application they will contact your referee/s at their discretion. I don't believe this is common however.
Original post by 3dguy
hi how will they contact my referre? Will they phone or email them? what will they ask? Thx
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a few questions:

I study at the OU and will be finishing next year, however my last module doesn't finish until beginning of October will this mean I can't start a PGCE until the following year?

Secondly I haven't got any "experience" yet in a school but will be starting come December/January.. As I won't have any until after I apply will it harm me?

I am looking to do chemistry if that at all helps

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unfortunately you won't be able to apply until you complete your degree. Universities need your degree classification to accept/reject you. If your results are released before the PGCE course start date they will make you a conditional offer, if they are released after the PGCE course start date you have to wait for your results before you can apply.
Original post by Subat
Unfortunately you won't be able to apply until you complete your degree. Universities need your degree classification to accept/reject you. If your results are released before the PGCE course start date they will make you a conditional offer, if they are released after the PGCE course start date you have to wait for your results before you can apply.

Oh bugger... Are PGCE courses October starts only?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lambert87
Oh bugger... Are PGCE courses October starts only?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They start in September.
Oh am so glad I found(Well Certain lady in admin directed me here) this thread... I have looked high and low for the answer and my husband keeps ASKING!!!...lol Now I have an answer for him. Looking into Surrey. At 36 and 3 kids I am every so very slightly nervous. Good luck to you all and hope it all goes well. X
So where is everyone thinking of applying? I'm thinking an Early Years PGCE or Primary with Early Years focus. Now I have to get my head back around this whole thing! I have my UK school work experience lined up for September but thinking about the application/personal statement/references/skills tests is giving me a headache! Anyone else feel pretty daunted about what's ahead?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending