The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2015

Hi there everybody,

I am going to be applying to study a PGCE later this year for 2015 entry and would be grateful for any advice you could give on the following questions!

When do applications open? I can find no real information online about this, only about 2014 entry!

Also, can you apply to three PGCE courses and three Schools Direct providers and are there separate applications for each?

Many thanks in advance!

Here's the Education/Teaching connect/stalking page - you'll be able to see other applicants' grades and offers. If you enter your details it will be really helpful for other people applying. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hollie-Golightly
Hi there everybody,

I am going to be applying to study a PGCE later this year for 2015 entry and would be grateful for any advice you could give on the following questions!

When do applications open? I can find no real information online about this, only about 2014 entry!

Also, can you apply to three PGCE courses and three Schools Direct providers and are there separate applications for each?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi,

I'm also going to apply for 2015 entry :smile:

I think applications will open in November like they did last year and it's just three applications over all types of courses (SCITT/PGCE/Schools Direct) - http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training/apply-1
The DfE website says applications open in November

http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/university-based-training/pgce.aspx

UCAS have a strange new system where you apply for three courses initially and then if you are unsuccessful you can apply to other courses through their "Apply 2" cycle!

Good luck with your application!
Hi, I'm also applying for 2015 and I think you apply for just 3 whether it's a mixture of PGCE, SCITT or schools direct, etc!
I'm also applying for 2015!! Where are you guys thinking of applying? I'll be looking at Central London mainly. Has anyone got any school experience lined up?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm also applying for 2015 entry! Applying to unis in the West Midlands area (quite a few to choose from!), just completed a 2 week placement and have one more week lined up at a different school. Oh and I'm applying for primary!
Reply 6
Original post by Feartheunknown
I'm also applying for 2015!! Where are you guys thinking of applying? I'll be looking at Central London mainly. Has anyone got any school experience lined up?

I think I'll be applying to unis in East Anglia. I really can't afford to move out without spending all my savings and that isn't really something I want to do!

I hopefully have got an actual work experience placement from September just waiting for them to get back to me with a date to meet the Head.

Oh and I'm applying for primary!
Hello everyone, I'm applying for primary too! This is a little bit exciting :smile: For experience, I volunteered once a week for a few months in a school in my uni city, then I've been really lucky in that I've come home from uni and my old primary school are willing to have me every day until the end of term :smile: trying to get an infant placement sorted for next year too. Basically I panicked and tried to get as much experience as I could haha :tongue:

Anyone have any clue of where they might apply yet? I'm thinking about UEA and Brighton but not sure on the third yet!
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm also going to apply in 2015 and have a sample day this week at a local school. Looking at doing schools direct with the University of Cumbria and have an open evening this week thank goodness because I want to speak to a real person and not read up on things! (And I'm going to do Primary too!)
Reply 9
Hi. The School Direct applications should be open on UCAS already as schools like mine are trying to recruit graduates for primary teaching, we offer PGCE. We have places for salaried and tuition funded routes. Message me for details.
Reply 10
Hey guys! This is so strange because I was on a thread like this for 2014 applications! I applied for a primary PGCE and got two offers, the third one clashed with another interview date so I never had it. The only advice I can give you for now is to try and get some experience in a school, if you haven't already and get you references lined up for November. You will need two. I had both of mine ready for the day it opened, I had also already written my personal statement. When applications opened, I had mine completed and sent off within the week. Earlier the better! :smile: I am so excited to start my PGCE in September and am so excited for you all! It's quite exciting waiting for emails and stuff. Also get your skills tests done as soon as you apply (you can't do them until you apply). If you go into an interview and have already passed both skills tests, that looks great! I'm not an expert on applying, but it isn't my first time. Good Luck!! :smile: P.S. if you do it early then you could find out if you have a place before christmas! Which is always nice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hollie-Golightly
Hi there everybody,

Many thanks in advance!

I am applying for 2015 as well =]

In October-November UCAS applications open for PGCE
Reply 12
Ooh this is exciting, thanks for the tips cutebat! I should have some primary school experience confirmed on Wednesday as I am going to visit the school and I have been offered a job at an after school club - I start in September! I have already emailed my tutor from last year to be my reference so I'm just waiting on his reply and hoping the Headteacher at the school will provide me with the other one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Pom_Pom
Ooh this is exciting, thanks for the tips cutebat! I should have some primary school experience confirmed on Wednesday as I am going to visit the school and I have been offered a job at an after school club - I start in September! I have already emailed my tutor from last year to be my reference so I'm just waiting on his reply and hoping the Headteacher at the school will provide me with the other one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your welcome and that sounds fantastic! Congratulations on the job. You will get to experience a range of ages there. It is going to fly by so quickly. :smile:
Reply 14
Hello,

I'm also going to be applying for a PGCE in 2015, primary education. I'm going to be applying to uni's around the south east of England; Greenwich, Canterbury, etc. I was just wondering whether anyone had any information about these uni's and if they're good. I'm currently studying at Goldsmiths University. Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 15
I am applying for Primary PGCE this year after having to withdraw before starting last year at IOE. Currently trying to gain more experience.
I'm applying this year for 2015 :smile: Secondary maths hopefully! Do seem to find there is very little information in relation to applying, so any advice on here is really handy! I also found the info evenings at my uni to be useful, so they're worth going to :smile:

Sadly I failed two modules this year, so been put onto a BA Ordinary, rather than Hons, anyone any experience with applying with just an ordinary?
Reply 17
Original post by GazelleRot
I'm applying this year for 2015 :smile: Secondary maths hopefully! Do seem to find there is very little information in relation to applying, so any advice on here is really handy! I also found the info evenings at my uni to be useful, so they're worth going to :smile:

Sadly I failed two modules this year, so been put onto a BA Ordinary, rather than Hons, anyone any experience with applying with just an ordinary?

Thanks cutebat!

GazelleRot, I'm pretty sure it has to be a BA (Hons) comprised of 360 points (although if I'm wrong someone please do correct me). With an ordinary degree do you get a classification?
Just a thought - you can transfer credit to the Open University and then 'top up' to a Hons degree or would your current uni let you stay another year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pom_Pom
Thanks cutebat!

GazelleRot, I'm pretty sure it has to be a BA (Hons) comprised of 360 points (although if I'm wrong someone please do correct me). With an ordinary degree do you get a classification?
Just a thought - you can transfer credit to the Open University and then 'top up' to a Hons degree or would your current uni let you stay another year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They would let me stay an extra year to top up, but I don't have the funding for an extra year :/ hmm! Didn't realise this!
Reply 19
Original post by GazelleRot
They would let me stay an extra year to top up, but I don't have the funding for an extra year :/ hmm! Didn't realise this!

If it's any help I think the OU is about £2500 for the 60 credits you would need. Would it be possible to get a job (ideally in a school environment) to pay for it? They have this thing called OUSBA where you can borrow the money and pay it back over the year, I believe they only charge a small amount of interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest