The Student Room Group

Why did you choose to study a language...?

Hi all :smile:
After studing GCSE French for 2 years, I've had people say to me "Was it really worth it?" and they say "Employers don't really care about language GCSEs", "Languages are mainly for girls y'know" and "What can you actually do with it?". (Don't worry I don't take any notice). So I wanted to know, why did you guys choose to study a language (if you do) ? Do you get criticised for studying a language?

Personally, I chose to study French for a few reasons:

I have a strong passion for France and the French language itself.
I want to be able to show that I care about other languages and that I don't have the "Well why can't they just learn English?" mindset.
So I can understand my own language more and become more understanding of why English can be quite hard to learn for others.
So I can maybe use it in the work place~
So I can become a more patient and determined person. :smile:

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure whether to put it into the GCSE section but this thread can apply to Alevels, degrees, anything! And it's not 'study help' so I couldn't put it into that section either D: , and you might not even be 'studying' it, you might just be learning it out of interest and passion at home :smile: )
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I chose it for the same reasons as you, as well as the fact that languages provide an insight into other cultures, and because I'm interested in humanities in general and languages cover nearly every humanities subject. I've just started the a2 french course and it is so interesting, we're learning about the protests in may 68 and the history of France before that, including the cold war, which links directly to my politics course! Personally I think languages just give you an amazing insight into the world and makes you realise that there are other cultures out there, not just anglo ones! (also if you speak a foreign language holidays are easier :tongue:)
I've never been laughed at for doing languages, in fact most people stare at you as if you're insane and then instantly respect you haha, as if it's ridiculously hard, even if they're doing something like physics! It just depends on what you're good at and what you like. I'm a girl though which languages has a reputation of mainly being, in my class of 6 there's only 1 boy, but everyone needs to be able to talk to people! and the modules aren't exactly girly... anyway I'm going to do a modern languages degree so yeah languages are my thing!
Reply 2
I didnt know language was considered 'girly' to some people. I dont know, maybe thats just where I live. Anyway I like connecting with people when you know their native tongue. Also, I dont like the idea of just expecting someone to know English–and people think google translate can solve all their problems, but it just doesnt :ㅂ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Languages are certainly not considered 'girly'.

Studying another language has so many positive effects so I'll just outline 2 or 3 real quick:

1) it helped (and still does, actually) my understanding of English. Studying Latin, for example, really improved my grammar and gave me new insight into the roots/etymology of words.

2) you have a new way of communicating with people. This is a particularly good asset in work and your own private life. I speak Arabic and so this year I working with an engineering company who deal a lot with the middle east and they paid me extra for my ability to converse them. I hope to be able to use my Spanish when I travel South America next year - being able to ask the locals things in a place where English is sparse is surely an advantage.

3) I'm able to read first hand sources rather than relying on other people to interpret things for me: With the business in Iraq at the moment, I can read things in Arabic and gain a fuller picture than what the western media reports.
Original post by HappyHylian

I have a strong passion for France and the French language itself.
I want to be able to show that I care about other languages and that I don't have the "Well why can't they just learn English?" mindset.

These.
I just really like the idea of being able to communicate with people that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. Although when I go to France they can tell I'm a tourist from a mile off and just speak English to me :colondollar: Also, by studying it at school/college/uni you get to learn about the culture and history as well as the language.
I love all the languages I'm learning. I find learning them interesting because I also learn some history with them as well, I also want to travel a lit when I'm older so they'll help :biggrin:

I might do one for A-Levels... Depending on what they are going to change my year's A-Levels to :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by coopertroopa03
These.
I just really like the idea of being able to communicate with people that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. Although when I go to France they can tell I'm a tourist from a mile off and just speak English to me :colondollar: Also, by studying it at school/college/uni you get to learn about the culture and history as well as the language.

I have this same problem too >< I guess we just need to work on our French xD
I chose to study languages at uni because I wanted to be fluent in one or more languages and well, you've got to do something at uni!

To be honest looking back I'd now maybe do another subject or a combined subject just for better job opportunities (if you decide at the end of a language degree that you don't want to move abroad or work with languages it's quite difficult to convince an employer you've got any skills when you're competing against accountancy, management, economics graduates etc.) But on the other hand I am now fluent in my languages and I really enjoyed it!
Reply 8
Having a second language is becoming increasingly important! I've worked for a European firm for the last few years, with a lot of other Europeans, and its made me realise just how ignorant the English are (myself included!) Especially considering not many of my colleagues speak English as well as you'd think! Obviously English is one of the most widely-spoken languages, but being able to speak a second to at least a conversational level allows you to meet new people and immerse yourself further in other cultures.

Plus, having a second language shows potential employers you have the desire to learn new skills, and the determination to see it through.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending