The Student Room Group

Are east indians similar in appearance to biracial black people?

I'm asking because of a situation pertaining someone. If a person is confused to be a person of south Asian heritage but are said to be half black but it's not technically absolute that this is true. Is it possible a way like through dna tests to find out what one really is? Background situation: The absolute known factor is that the person's mom is of English heritage. But their biological donor was said to be black. But their mother became pregnant from assault and did not see the sd's face so I mean how is one to really know their ethnicity in that case? Like is there any medical way to know? I mean because they are the same skin tone and all?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
no
Reply 2
really even though they have similar skin tone? So if someone appears to be of south Asian heritage. Likely you are right?
Reply 3
I believe there are ways to find out but it wouldn't be done in a standard DNA lab testing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Arieisit
I believe there are ways to find out but it wouldn't be done in a standard DNA lab testing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how then? Because with like dna wise I was told being a girl one would only know about the mother's side. It's already known the mom is of English heritage. Mom said he was black but didn't see his face and he wasn't foreign so how is one to know. Usually the person is mistaken for either being of south Asian or east African or north African heritage or even middle eastern heritages. Somewhere in that region. Not really black/white. In fact people find it odd that the mom is of English heritage because the person doesn't look half white at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
also I don't look like my mom either so it's not her.
Reply 6
It could be the case that the assailant himself was mixed, hence your appearance.

Medically, I believe you can find out. I think you can find continental DNA differences, such as African/East Asian, but the individual country probably won't be possible.

FYI, you won't know anything from skin tone alone, especially if you're mixed.
Some might, others might not. People need to really learn that race isn't this be all and end all determining factor.
Reply 8
Original post by Another
It could be the case that the assailant himself was mixed, hence your appearance.

Medically, I believe you can find out. I think you can find continental DNA differences, such as African/East Asian, but the individual country probably won't be possible.

FYI, you won't know anything from skin tone alone, especially if you're mixed.

even within female dna?
Reply 9
Original post by Justagirl20
even within female dna?

From what I can see, Mitochondrial DNA analysis will only find lineages on your mothers side, whereas Autosomal DNA analysis will do both. Since you're only going back one generation, Autosomal DNA analysis would be your best bet, if you can find a company that will do it. One like http://dnatribes.com/
Original post by Another
From what I can see, Mitochondrial DNA analysis will only find lineages on your mothers side, whereas Autosomal DNA analysis will do both. Since you're only going back one generation, Autosomal DNA analysis would be your best bet, if you can find a company that will do it. One like http://dnatribes.com/

I didn't know autosomal dna was available for women. I'll research it.
Thanks btw I looked into I'm definitely going to take your advice.

Quick Reply

Latest