The Student Room Group

Clegg- teaching British values will upset moderate muslims- should they be forced?

Poll

Should muslims be taught British values

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nick-clegg-teaching-british-values-in-schools-could-upset-moderate-muslims-9552742.html

So much for being moderate muslims according to Nick Clegg if we taught muslims even 'moderate' ones British values this will upset them. How exactly can they integrate into UK culture. Given the Trojan horse scandal perhaps it is time they were taught

Should muslims be forced to learn British values in schools?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ace123
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nick-clegg-teaching-british-values-in-schools-could-upset-moderate-muslims-9552742.html

So much for being moderate muslims according to Nick Clegg if we taught muslims even 'moderate' ones British values this will upset them. How exactly can they integrate into UK culture. Given the Trojan horse scandal perhaps it is time they were taught

Isolated cases do not give you the right to brand all Muslims as bad. You are most likely White. They could say a lot of stuff about us, we have been equally bad in making isolated mistakes too.
Reply 2
What are British values? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do not think it is only Muslims who could benefit from learning about British values. There will also be people of other faiths and none who may be upset too. Richard Dawkins presumably does not like the values of the established church and there are some anti-monarchists for example. And the concept of fairness especially in sport is alien to most Manchester United supporters.
Reply 4
I'm not even sure what British values are. :s-smilie:
As far as I'm concerned, they're not very moderate if they're offended by British values.
I'd be very wary going from "Nick Clegg thinks most muslims would..." to "Most muslims would...".
Original post by Ace123

This is Great Britain. When you immigrate into a country for the long haul, you are EXPECTED to learn the country's values, either on your time or at school. This is precisely why British transplants are valued more than Chinese ones in Hong Kong---British culture is essentially the same as Hong Kong (although HK is... say... a bit rougher around the edges), while Mainlanders, even though they know they have a wildly different culture (thanks mainly to the system of government), don't take the time to learn that of the host country.

Immigration means INTEGRATION. You can't have that if you become insular and strictly in your own community with your own culture and values. If you want to keep certain elements of Pakistani culture, say, that's your prerogative, but at least take the time and effort to also learn elements of British and European culture as well.
Original post by barnetlad
I do not think it is only Muslims who could benefit from learning about British values. There will also be people of other faiths and none who may be upset too. Richard Dawkins presumably does not like the values of the established church and there are some anti-monarchists for example. And the concept of fairness especially in sport is alien to most Manchester United supporters.

Man U? Try Italy. They get tapped on the shoulder... you count to five... and then they throw themselves on the ground as if hit by a cannonball.

But footie's a pleb sport anyways, I'd never own up to occasionally watching a match. Except when FIFA time comes around. Rugby for the win.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by TheTranshumanist
As far as I'm concerned, they're not very moderate if they're offended by British values.

This.

It's just more proof that Clegg has as much of a spine as a slug.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't actually see any Muslims saying they'd be offended...
might be being thick but I thought the values were general human values like acceptance, honesty etc? I don't think we really have any specifically british values that could offend muslims anyway
What even are British values?
What gives him the right to speak on behalf of a whole community (that he's not even a member of)?
If they're gonna be offended by decent values, no one's forrcing them to go to British schools.
Even if it were true/accurate/etc.....

...so?

This

we don't teach other offensive ideology's in schools so why should Islam be given a free ride
Reply 17
This sense of anything which we say or do can cause offence to some so we won't do it, is quite a dangerous avenue to go down. I do not see what is offensive about teaching anyone about British values of democracy, rule of law, Magna Carta etc. Would I be expected to learn and accept values of another country if I went? Most certainly.
What are British values exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
What are British values exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you British?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending