The Student Room Group

Help applying to university as I think I've done worse in my a levels then expected

Hello, this year I have done AS and A2 maths, AS physics and AS music. I am dropping music and will carry on with A2 physics and also I will do AS and A2 further maths next year. My only concern is that I think I may have done badly in M1 and C4. I really want to get an A in maths so I want to retake the two modules next year.
Do you think I can still apply for universities that ask for an A in maths even though I may not have gotten it this year? I'm pretty certain it am able enough to achieve this but it might have to wait until next year's results. But I don't want this to ruin my chances if applying to the universities I want to go to and I really don't know what to do!
Also I'm thinking of applying for computer science, if anyone has any additional advice specifically on this, it would be great!
Thank you!!
Reply 1
If you get a B then an A prediction won't look out of place for the resits. Assuming it's realistic and your teachers agree you can do it then it shouldn't be too difficult to get. They'll probably appreciate that you're taking up further maths too, so they probably expect your maths grade will come up to where it should be.

Wait and see what you get, and if you're still worried then maybe phone or drop a message to the admissions dept. of somewhere you're interested in just to check their stance on it. I can't see most universities having too many issues with it, and it's done over two years with the resits.

It doesn't hurt to try and see this year anyway. If it doesn't go your way and you have to wait until next year then so be it :smile: it will still be there waiting for you. I think you'll be okay though.
Try this year anyway because a B result and an A prediction isn't that unusual.

If the worst happens and you don't get any offers, the worst case scenario is a gap year, which isn't the end of the world. Or you might find the universities you applied to showing up in clearing and you can apply that way if you have the grades.
Hello, this year I have done AS and A2 maths, AS physics and AS music. I am dropping music and will carry on with A2 physics and also I will do AS and A2 further maths next year. My only concern is that I think I may have done badly in M1 and C4. I really want to get an A in maths so I want to retake the two modules next year.
Do you think I can still apply for universities that ask for an A in maths even though I may not have gotten it this year? I'm pretty certain it am able enough to achieve this but it might have to wait until next year's results. But I don't want this to ruin my chances if applying to the universities I want to go to and I really don't know what to do!
Also I'm thinking of applying for computer science, if anyone has any additional advice specifically on this, it would be great!
Thank you!!

You will need to check if the universities you are applying for are happy with retakes

Then it depends what you are intending to study

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending