The Student Room Group

Should I bother doing science Alevels?

Scroll to see replies

This is all from the perspective of someone who has just finished a physics degree.

Physics is effectively an applied maths subject. At A level it is not as mathematically rigorousness as A level maths as there is no calculus involved. It would probably still be a bad idea not to take maths if doing physics at A-level though, the people who did so really struggled and dropped it after the first year. At degree level though a lot of physics is on a similar level to doing a maths degree and maths A-level is definitely required. BUt cinese you don;t want to do it at degree level then you will probs be fine. You just may have to do a bit of extra work to brush up on your maths etc.

There were quite a few people in my Chemistry class in sixth form who didn't take maths but still did well in the subject so you can still do chemistry at A-level without taking maths if you like. It isn't even that important at A-level. However if you want to take chemistry at uni maths a-level will definitely help (not sure if it is required?), and the uni course will definalty have topics that are maths heavy such as physical chemistry. But then the uni will makes sure you are up to scratch. Also just because you got a C in GCSE maths doesn't mean that you can never improve at maths either, if you are willing to put the effort in you can still learn the stuff you need and universities often have extra maths classes for people who struggle with maths.

Then there is always the option of a foundation years as well if you couldn't get onto chemistry course without a-level maths. They would teach you all you need to know, someone on my physics course came from a foundation year and they were one of the highest scorers in exams etc.

Also I got BCC at A-level in Physics, maths, chemistry which is hardly impressive and still got a 2:1 so you can always improve and learn stuff on the way.

Finally my friend's girlfriend is doing a chemistry degree and she didn't even do chemistry never mind maths O.o
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by HappyHylian
Oh my.. that explains a lot. I thought it was "SAHCOHTAO".. Oh gee no wonder I always get no marks for those questions! XD. :smile:

Hi, in a similar situation as you at the minute except I want to do a biology based degree :P. I could only remember trig by saying "silly old horses chase after hens that offer advice" in my head in an exam... Also if you need help with maths I watched lots of videos on YouTube, hegarty maths is brilliant. My head of sixth form told me to seriously reconsider not taking maths but said it would be ok to do it to as level then keep history biology and chemistry so I'll probably end up doing that :smile: Good luck!
Reply 22
Original post by _Morsey_
same time 95% of the information you learn will not benefit you. The main benefit i believe is practice, practice with manipulating algebra (and thus equations).

hi, would you say that someone who had an A* in maths gcse but just didn't enjoy it and so no way wanted to take it to A level could cope with As physics?
Original post by mazda21
hi, would you say that someone who had an A* in maths gcse but just didn't enjoy it and so no way wanted to take it to A level could cope with As physics?

I know you are not asking me, but yes.
Original post by _Morsey_
From that i would definitely say you would be able to cope with Biology, at most you may have to plot or analyse a graph just as you might have done during GCSE. Biology from what i have heard from peers, is not very maths intensive.

For Chemistry, the maths you use will come from interpreting data that you are given in the question, and this is key throughout the subject, you will need to know how to use the information that is provided before you can put it in the equations (there aren't that many in Chemistry, although you do get progressively more at A2).

You may however struggle with Physics though since one of the topics at AS for most exam boards includes motion, which will include trigonometry for components of forces as an example, and that in itself can get confusing remember which trigonometry function to use.

To some extent i agree with Physmecieng, however having also experienced science at A-Level, the only only subject that Maths has really every contributed to is Physics with logarithmic and exponential functions (for Doomlar, you should come across this if your board covers capacitance/exponential decay of radioactive nuclei), as well as the mechanics module helping out.

I personally do not believe Maths at A-Level is required for Chemistry and Biology, it may help, but at the same time 95% of the information you learn will not benefit you. The main benefit i believe is practice, practice with manipulating algebra (and thus equations).

If you want to study a Chemistry at degree level then i would always advise to follow that because it is amazing how interest in a subject can help you get better, but there may become a point where the level of maths you have obtained will make your progression to reach that degree more difficult.

AQA AS at least does not cover capacitance or exponential decay, albeit I do not know whether or not it is covered at A2.
I'm so happy that it's just plugging numbers into a formulae! XD We did that at GCSE OCR 21st Century Physics so I'll just work on the skills more to get to the Alevel standard. :smile:

I've just finished my A2 AQA Physics exams. It's not just plugging numbers in formulae. You need to be very good at maths to be good at physics, especially at A2. Unit 1 is easy (plugging in numbers, understanding circuits). But for unit 2, you will need fairly decent maths, and for A2 physics you will need to be extremely good at maths; but it depends what grade you are aiming for. I find A2 physics harder than A2 maths and as hard as Further Maths, while some people find Further Maths harder than A2 physics.

I don't take chemistry or biology, but I heard biology is highly content-based and that might be the subject for you.
Reply 26
Original post by Sayonara
I've just finished my A2 AQA Physics exams. It's not just plugging numbers in formulae. You need to be very good at maths to be good at physics, especially at A2. Unit 1 is easy (plugging in numbers, understanding circuits). But for unit 2, you will need fairly decent maths, and for A2 physics you will need to be extremely good at maths; but it depends what grade you are aiming for. I find A2 physics harder than A2 maths and as hard as Further Maths, while some people find Further Maths harder than A2 physics.

I don't take chemistry or biology, but I heard biology is highly content-based and that might be the subject for you.

Okay, now more people are telling me it isn't just plugging numbers into a formulae than people saying it is. XD I'll give Physics, Biology and Chemistry a shot. There's no way that I'm just going to study Biology because we were told Biology is pretty much useless on its own. :frown:
Reply 27
Hi all :smile:
This has been bugging me for a while and now I think it's the best time to ask.
I absolutely suck at maths. I only got a C in GCSE maths in November and I'll be one lucky guy if I manage to get a B in the exam I did this year. :l
The problem I'm having is, should I bother choosing science alevels if I blow at maths? I'm an A* in all of my GCSE sciences (Biology, chemistry and physics) and I can do the maths perfectly fine in those exams, but people have been telling me the demand of maths goes well above and beyond anything it was like at GCSE. People say if you do Alevel physics you should at least have an A at GCSE maths and do Alevel maths (!!!). The Sixth Form I'm going to says that a "B in maths is ideal" to do Physics.
And thinking way into the future when I want to do a Chemistry degree.. you can't really have good science without maths, and I can only begin to imagine what the maths is like at degree chemistry. ><
It's a shame because I can pick up scientific ideas perfectly fine and I can remember them, but if you give a triangle and tell me to use sine, cosine or tan, my mind turns to mushy peas.
There's no way in a MILLION years that I'm doing Alevel Mathematics, but I really really wish I was capable of doing it because I noticed degrees in sciences can ask for an Alevel in maths..
I'm hoping to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and French at Alevel, and their exam boards are all AQA if that helps. (Maybe different exam boards have more maths involved than others(?))

The maths in Chemistry and Biology shouldn't be too complicated at A-level so definitely take them.

However with Physics I think the maths becomes quite complicated and you would have to use maths regularly. You should maybe look at a physics a level text book and see if you think you'll be able to grasp the level of maths in it.

You could always take it and drop it after AS level if you find it was quite difficult, but take Chemistry and Biology.
Okay, now more people are telling me it isn't just plugging numbers into a formulae than people saying it is. XD I'll give Physics, Biology and Chemistry a shot. There's no way that I'm just going to study Biology because we were told Biology is pretty much useless on its own. :frown:

True, but as a warning, I recommend an A/A* at maths GCSE before doing A-level physics. If you are getting A* in your other sciences, then I am guessing remembering content is your strong point. The maths in A-level physics is probably harder than A-level maths in my opinion (Physics is about 65-75% maths and the rest is content/understanding. Biology is considered a pretty decent A-level compared to other many other A-levels (won't name some as it will offend people), but of course this would depend on the university course you are taking or your intended career path. If you are curious and want to see for yourself, I guess there isn't much harm in trying out and taking physics.

Taking maths and physics is a nice combination btw, the stuff I've learnt in AS & A2 maths has helped my physics quite a lot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by TirnanF
The maths in Chemistry and Biology shouldn't be too complicated at A-level so definitely take them.

However with Physics I think the maths becomes quite complicated and you would have to use maths regularly. You should maybe look at a physics a level text book and see if you think you'll be able to grasp the level of maths in it.

You could always take it and drop it after AS level if you find it was quite difficult, but take Chemistry and Biology.

Thanks, that's probably what I'll end up doing. :smile: I just looked at AQA's Physics past papers and I think I might be able to reach that kind of level, I'm so happy they give a formula sheet. XD
Reply 30
Original post by Sayonara
True, but as a warning, I recommend an A/A* at maths GCSE before doing A-level physics. If you are getting A* in your other sciences, then I am guessing remembering content is your strong point. The maths in A-level physics is probably harder than A-level maths in my opinion (Physics is about 65-75% maths and the rest is content/understanding. Biology is considered a pretty decent A-level compared to other many other A-levels (won't name some as it will offend people), but of course this would depend on the university course you are taking or your intended career path. If you are curious and want to see for yourself, I guess there isn't much harm in trying out and taking physics.

Taking maths and physics is a nice combination btw, the stuff I've learnt in AS & A2 maths has helped my physics quite a lot.

65-75%?! Oh gosh.. the sixth form I'm going to has taster days so I'll ask about it there. DX Yeah I'll give Physics a go :smile: The University I want to go to asks for 3 A level sciences (excluding human biology and psychology) to study chemistry, so I have to choose physics really. :frown:
Reply 31
I have a friend who took Biology, Physics, and Chemistry all through to A2 (and is off to do a chemistry degree next year if he makes his offers) without doing maths A-level (not even AS level). He's managed fine (looking at A/B in physics & biology and A/A* in chemistry). The maths at A-level for science is basic GCSE maths at its hardest. There's nothing in there a pass at GCSE won't equip you to handle.
Reply 32
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I know you are not asking me, but yes.

Appreciated none the less, thanks! :smile:
Original post by Jpatch
I have a friend who took Biology, Physics, and Chemistry all through to A2 (and is off to do a chemistry degree next year if he makes his offers) without doing maths A-level (not even AS level). He's managed fine (looking at A/B in physics & biology and A/A* in chemistry). The maths at A-level for science is basic GCSE maths at its hardest. There's nothing in there a pass at GCSE won't equip you to handle.

More or less yes. But for physics you will need to learn how to use logarithms, natural logs and exponentials functions etc.
Reply 34
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
More or less yes. But for physics you will need to learn how to use logarithms, natural logs and exponentials functions etc.

This is true. And to be fare the friend I was referencing in my first post did struggle with these concepts initially. However there is nothing overtly challenging about logs and exponentials, and all the logs rules are in the formula booklet anyway. So I can't image that OP would have too much trouble with them with a little bit of practice.
Original post by Jpatch
This is true. And to be fare the friend I was referencing in my first post did struggle with these concepts initially. However there is nothing overtly challenging about logs and exponentials, and all the logs rules are in the formula booklet anyway. So I can't image that OP would have too much trouble with them with a little bit of practice.

Yep. It's entirely possible just to learn how to plug the number in anyway and get the right answers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending