The Student Room Group

Going mad with this!!!

I am having a very blonde moment and its probs the easiest Q in the world but I am currently pulling my hair out trying to answer it :smile: HAHA! Someone rescue me!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gemmacolley2014
I am having a very blonde moment and its probs the easiest Q in the world but I am currently pulling my hair out trying to answer it :smile: HAHA! Someone rescue me!!!

Do you know what 9 and 27 are as powers of 3
I have completely confused myself so need unraveling :smile:
I have completely confused myself so need unraveling :smile:

yes

so do you know what power of 3 gives 9

Is it 3^0, 3^1, 3^2, 3^3, 3^4, ... or what?
3 to the power of 2? = 9
3 to the power of 3? = 27

sorry if I souns dumb :frown: so wound up over this. had no problems before with any of the other Q's with indices :frown:
3 to the power of 2? = 9
3 to the power of 3? = 27

sorry if I souns dumb :frown: so wound up over this. had no problems before with any of the other Q's with indices :frown:

Ok

So 32=93^2 = 9

And 93=9×9×9=32×32×329^3 = 9 \times 9 \times 9 = 3^2 \times 3^2 \times 3^2
3^2 = 9
3^3 = 27
I looked at the answer to see if I could work out how they got it and the answer is 3^12
But still flabbergasted!
I looked at the answer to see if I could work out how they got it and the answer is 3^12
But still flabbergasted!

Have you looked at post 6
I'm sorry. What does that mean? No I havent
Reply 10
I Have that book! Its really good :smile:
Original post by Dinaa
I Have that book! Its really good :smile:

Its been brill for me too until this flamin Q. And I bet its as easy as anything as soon as someone explains how they get the answer 3^12!!! LOL
Reply 12
3^2=9 so 9^3=(3^2)^3=3^6 because you multiply the powers

Do the same with the second term then add the powers which equals 3^12
I'm sorry. What does that mean? No I havent

Can you use the quote button please

I think you need to talk to your teacher if you do not understand that 93=9×9×99^3 = 9 \times 9 \times 9
Original post by TenOfThem
Can you use the quote button please

I think you need to talk to your teacher if you do not understand that 93=9×9×99^3 = 9 \times 9 \times 9

I am sorry but I am new to this website and havent got to grips with how it works.
I do understand what 9^3 means. I just dont understand how to get the answer, probs overthinking it.
I am a mature student who is getting back into the swing of GCSE Maths before I start my a level Maths in Sept so I am sorry if I am a bit rusty!!!
I came on here for help, not to be made fun of or critisised :frown:
I am sorry but I am new to this website and havent got to grips with how it works.
I do understand what 9^3 means. I just dont understand how to get the answer, probs overthinking it.
I am a mature student who is getting back into the swing of GCSE Maths before I start my a level Maths in Sept so I am sorry if I am a bit rusty!!!
I came on here for help, not to be made fun of or critisised :frown:

I am trying to help - I have neither made fun nor criticised

I asked if you had looked at post 6 and you said that you did not understand that post - what was there in that post that I can explain further
I am trying to help - I have neither made fun nor criticised

I asked if you had looked at post 6 and you said that you did not understand that post - what was there in that post that I can explain further

How can you set out the workings out so it fits in on the picture I attached to this post?
Thats where I am slightly confused.
How can you set out the workings out so it fits in on the picture I attached to this post?
Thats where I am slightly confused.

You have lost me a little

You need to understand the concept rather than worry about the layout

BUT

If you just want to fill in your picture - you have told me that 9=329 = 3^2 and that 27=3327 = 3^3

So you know what the first line has to be

Then you need to understand why (32)3=36(3^2)^3 = 3^6 which is what I was trying to show you
You have lost me a little

You need to understand the concept rather than worry about the layout

BUT

If you just want to fill in your picture - you have told me that 9=329 = 3^2 and that 27=3327 = 3^3

So you know what the first line has to be

Then you need to understand why (32)3=36(3^2)^3 = 3^6 which is what I was trying to show you

AH HAAA!!! I GET IT!!! Now I know how to do it from the guidance layout and you filling in the first line for me I completely understand and now wonde rhow the hell I didnt work that out on my own before!! Bless you for your patience with me!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!
AH HAAA!!! I GET IT!!! Now I know how to do it from the guidance layout and you filling in the first line for me I completely understand and now wonde rhow the hell I didnt work that out on my own before!! Bless you for your patience with me!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!

No problem
Glad it is ok now

Quick Reply

Latest