The Student Room Group

Chinese/Korean/Japanese 2015 entry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by afterallthistime
Yeah same for me, its definitely my second choice!

Ahh haha what a coincidence! Yeah me too, I'm looking forward to it! Do you reckon there are gonna be quite a few people at the taster at the Oriental Institute?
I want to look at Pembroke, and maybe Hetford and another one I can't remember the name of! Yeah me too, never been to see the any of the colleges before so pretty excited.

I was actually thinking that a few days ago. When I came to the Oriental Institute open day at the end of April, there were about 30 people in the room for Japanese, and the Chinese room had about the same. I'm hoping the taster courses won't be overly crowded, but still, it will be nice to meet other people interested in the same subject. Japanese (and Chinese) are quite niche subjects that not many people study/want to study, so I never really have the opportunity to talk to others about it!
Hey guys,

I study Japanese and Business&Management at Manchester, with advanced Chinese as extra credits. I've just finished my first year of uni.
I'm currently in Okinawa for a summer internship and I spent my gap year studying at Tsinghua university in Beijing (I have the HSK level 5).
I love Manchester to bits, I'm so glad I chose it. I also visited Oxford (for interviews haha), SOAS and Leeds.

Feel free to ask me any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheTechN1304
I was actually thinking that a few days ago. When I came to the Oriental Institute open day at the end of April, there were about 30 people in the room for Japanese, and the Chinese room had about the same. I'm hoping the taster courses won't be overly crowded, but still, it will be nice to meet other people interested in the same subject. Japanese (and Chinese) are quite niche subjects that not many people study/want to study, so I never really have the opportunity to talk to others about it!

Yeah, I hope it won't be! But I guess its Oxford, so every subject has a lot of people wanting to study it… But it should still be good, I'm sure :smile:
Yeah I haven't met any other people who want to study it. Why do you want to study Japanese out of interest?
Yeah, I hope it won't be! But I guess its Oxford, so every subject has a lot of people wanting to study it… But it should still be good, I'm sure :smile:
Yeah I haven't met any other people who want to study it. Why do you want to study Japanese out of interest?

I've been asked that question so many times but I still find it really hard to answer! I guess there are a number of reasons I want to study it. I find the language itself really interesting (e.g social hierarchy plays a major role in the grammar of the language; there are 3 different 'alphabets' (though I hate using that word as they aren't alphabets)). I also find japanese literature and history fascinating, and the culture of japan is pretty amazing too. What about you? How comes you're interested in Chinese
I've been asked that question so many times but I still find it really hard to answer! I guess there are a number of reasons I want to study it. I find the language itself really interesting (e.g social hierarchy plays a major role in the grammar of the language; there are 3 different 'alphabets' (though I hate using that word as they aren't alphabets)). I also find japanese literature and history fascinating, and the culture of japan is pretty amazing too. What about you? How comes you're interested in Chinese

Yeah that sounds really interesting. I never considered studying Japanese, but it does sound really cool!
Well I study it at the moment, and have done for quite a while, and I don't know, i guess like you, the culture is one of the important contributing factors. The history is really fascinating.
The language is pretty complicated, but its interesting to see the stories behind the characters and everything.
I agree, its a very hard question to answer...
Original post by kawaiibeans
So you want to move away from London and see somewhere else?
& Is it the languages and cultures taster day? I'm going too and I think someone on the SOAS 2015 Applicants said they were... I got a reminder email but have you had anything about signing up for different languages yet?

I got the email a few minutes ago about selecting languages :tongue: There are 3 tasters. I've selected Chinese for the 1st, Korean for the 2nd and Arabic for the 3rd. I was thinking of doing the Japanese taster, but realised that most of the people there will probably be beginners, and considering I'm doing the Japanese A level it would be a bit pointless tbh.
I got the email a few minutes ago about selecting languages :tongue: There are 3 tasters. I've selected Chinese for the 1st, Korean for the 2nd and Arabic for the 3rd. I was thinking of doing the Japanese taster, but realised that most of the people there will probably be beginners, and considering I'm doing the Japanese A level it would be a bit pointless tbh.

I got it too xD I replied asap to try and get my choices~ I chose Japanese for first and Chinese for the second, and then Arabic >< same with you and Japanese but I didn't choose Korean because I thought it would be a very simple introduction. I wish Japanese GCSE/A Level had been offered near me though :frown: Did you put down Chinese culture for the cultural workshop part?
Original post by kawaiibeans
I got it too xD I replied asap to try and get my choices~ I chose Japanese for first and Chinese for the second, and then Arabic >< same with you and Japanese but I didn't choose Korean because I thought it would be a very simple introduction. I wish Japanese GCSE/A Level had been offered near me though :frown: Did you put down Chinese culture for the cultural workshop part?

Ah haha. We're doing Chinese in the opposite sessions :tongue:. And yes, I did put the Chinese cultural workshop. I'm not really that interested in the midde east so wasn't really considering doing that lecture.
Ah haha. We're doing Chinese in the opposite sessions :tongue:. And yes, I did put the Chinese cultural workshop. I'm not really that interested in the midde east so wasn't really considering doing that lecture.

I know >< I'm excited though now. And yeah, the Chinese one seemed much more relevant~~
Hey, I'm hoping to study Chinese for 2015 entry!
What I also really liked was for both places, if you've studied the language before, you don't need to start from Ni Hao etc. You take a test in your first week which assesses your language skill and whether you can progress slightly further.:smile:

Hi :biggrin:

I'm looking at studying Japanese (or Japanese + Chinese). I'm looking at Oxford, Edinburgh, Durham, SOAS and Leeds.

Hey, I don't know if you've already looked at Newcastle but they offer flexible entry levels for Chinese/Japanese too :smile:
What would you say is the best Oxford college for Japanese? I've heard it's Hertford but I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
What would you say is the best Oxford college for Japanese? I've heard it's Hertford but I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what do you define as "best"? Hertford lets in the most for Japanese (4 per year) and is one of the few colleges with a fellow in Japanese, but i didn't really like the college though. it was too small and because it doesn't have that much money, its facilities aren't as good as some of the other colleges. Anyway, you've still got over a year until you need to apply. A lot can change in that time, so I wouldn't worry about it for the time being :wink:
what do you define as "best"? Hertford lets in the most for Japanese (4 per year) and is one of the few colleges with a fellow in Japanese, but i didn't really like the college though. it was too small and because it doesn't have that much money, its facilities aren't as good as some of the other colleges. Anyway, you've still got over a year until you need to apply. A lot can change in that time, so I wouldn't worry about it for the time being :wink:

I liked the look of St John's. Which college are you applying to, if you are applying at all? :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I liked the look of St John's. Which college are you applying to, if you are applying at all? :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying to Wadham. They let in quite a few for Oriental Studies (~8) and I really liked the college!
I'm applying to Wadham. They let in quite a few for Oriental Studies (~8) and I really liked the college!

Oh, cool! Wadham does seems nice! Good luck! How do you find out how many they let for Oriental Studies in each college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, cool! Wadham does seems nice! Good luck! How do you find out how many they let for Oriental Studies in each college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it says on the college's website under the section saying what subjects they offer :smile:
Original post by Furandesu
みなさん、こんにちは!

I'm doing computing at the university of Worcester but I am planning to take a Japanese module which counts towards my degree ^__^

I've taught myself Japanese before but I would feel more confident learning it in a proper environment xD

I'm going to be in a similar position, I'm off to university to do Computer Science while also studying Japanese as a module which also counts toward my degree.
Original post by David B
I'm going to be in a similar position, I'm off to university to do Computer Science while also studying Japanese as a module which also counts toward my degree.

わああ~

that's so cool! Where will you be studying? :3
Original post by Furandesu
わああ~

that's so cool! Where will you be studying? :3

Hull University :smile:
Original post by David B
Hull University :smile:

^#^! I'm glad another Uni does the same/similar program, I couldn't find a Uni I was happy to go to which allows you to do both/which did Japanese at all <__< I was worried that I'd have to pay extra for tuition >#<

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending