The Student Room Group

Chinese/Korean/Japanese 2015 entry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Furandesu
^#^! I'm glad another Uni does the same/similar program, I couldn't find a Uni I was happy to go to which allows you to do both/which did Japanese at all <__< I was worried that I'd have to pay extra for tuition >#<

Yeah it's the reason I choose the university I did, because I will be able to study a totally different subject along with my degree. It'll not only be interesting but also count towards my degree which is fantastic.
Original post by David B
Yeah it's the reason I choose the university I did, because I will be able to study a totally different subject along with my degree. It'll not only be interesting but also count towards my degree which is fantastic.

Exactly! Do you know any Japanese at the moment? :colonhash:3
Reply 42
Hello, I am currently on my gap year, but next fall I'll start studying Contemporary Chinese with International Relations at the University of Nottingham. I have chosen this course because the focus is split equally between language study, Chinese culture study and IR; because you go to China in your second year (this was a really important factor for me) and because the degree takes only 3 years to complete (on the year abroad you go to the university's campus in China and continue with your courses like you would if you were in the UK).
Exactly! Do you know any Japanese at the moment? :colonhash:3

A bit. I'm trying to learn the language at home, but I'm not improving as much as I'd like too. Maybe when I finally go to Hull, and I'm in a teaching environment, it will become much easier to learn rather than trying to do it myself.
Original post by David B
A bit. I'm trying to learn the language at home, but I'm not improving as much as I'd like too. Maybe when I finally go to Hull, and I'm in a teaching environment, it will become much easier to learn rather than trying to do it myself.

Yeah, same here. I went to a club a couple of years ago and that really helped me, I think because I was able to actually talk it to somebody and get feedback xD
Yeah, same here. I went to a club a couple of years ago and that really helped me, I think because I was able to actually talk it to somebody and get feedback xD

Haha that's great. Have you ever been to Japan or planning to go?
Original post by David B
Haha that's great. Have you ever been to Japan or planning to go?

I've never been but it's my DREAM to go ^#^ My tumblr is basically an ode to Japan xD I'm going to put some savings to the side especially for it ^#^ I once thought about doing the JET program or something similar and living and working there. My boyfriend wants to go too so hopefully I can get him to pay for most of it ;D (joking of course!) Have you ever been?
I've never been but it's my DREAM to go ^#^ My tumblr is basically an ode to Japan xD I'm going to put some savings to the side especially for it ^#^ I once thought about doing the JET program or something similar and living and working there. My boyfriend wants to go too so hopefully I can get him to pay for most of it ;D (joking of course!) Have you ever been?

No I haven't been, but it's also a dream of mine as well, to go and visit and one day live or retire there. :smile:
Original post by David B
No I haven't been, but it's also a dream of mine as well, to go and visit and one day live or retire there. :smile:

It's such a beautiful country, I love that although it is modern it still holds it's culture dear : #3
It's such a beautiful country, I love that although it is modern it still holds it's culture dear : #3

I couldn't agree more, the part which attracts me is the culture. I also like Japanese people in general (especially the women). They seem very friendly people. I also like the language.
Original post by David B
I couldn't agree more, the part which attracts me is the culture. I also like Japanese people in general (especially the women). They seem very friendly people. I also like the language.

Yeah, I love that politeness is part of the culture as well, and that language has incorporated that. I love watching anime because often the subtitles will be something like "You have to run!" or similar but what they really say is "You have to run, please!" xD
Yeah, I love that politeness is part of the culture as well, and that language has incorporated that. I love watching anime because often the subtitles will be something like "You have to run!" or similar but what they really say is "You have to run, please!" xD

You like Anime as well? That's awesome. Anime was literally the start of my passion for Japan, it's where it all started for me.
Original post by David B
You like Anime as well? That's awesome. Anime was literally the start of my passion for Japan, it's where it all started for me.

*###* same... <#<
Reply 53
I'm a third year Korean major at SOAS. :hello: Happy to answer any questions! And I know enough about the Japanese course that I can probably help out there as well.
Original post by laridum
I'm a third year Korean major at SOAS. :hello: Happy to answer any questions! And I know enough about the Japanese course that I can probably help out there as well.

What is SOAS like as a place to live and study? I'm thinking of applying there over Leeds, but I live in London already and don't like it that much. And is it true that there are way more women than men, and way.more mature students than young students? Not that this bothers me; I'm just curious. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by Edminzodo
What is SOAS like as a place to live and study? I'm thinking of applying there over Leeds, but I live in London already and don't like it that much. And is it true that there are way more women than men, and way.more mature students than young students? Not that this bothers me; I'm just curious. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're from London I can see the problem. London can be suffocating and SOAS is right in the centre, but the area around SOAS is really nice, and a lot quieter than you'd expect, being sandwiched in between Euston and Oxford Street. I like living in zone 1 because I can walk pretty much anywhere from Dinwiddy House. I only use the Tube if I'm going somewhere specific, or it's raining... I guess it depends on why you don't like London? Most cities in London are kind of similar. Or at least that's how I feel about Glasgow and London, but that's me.

There are probably more women than men, but I haven't really noticed a huge difference (unless you want to study Korean, then it will be mostly women). There are a lot of mature students, usually in their ealrly-to-mid 20s still, though, not 30s/40s. But when I was a first year I met plenty of straight-from-high school 18/19-year-olds as well if that's what you mean by young.
Reply 56
Original post by laridum

Hi! I'm comparing Sheffield/SOAS for korean at the moment, so what would you personally say are the best and worst things about SOAS?
Also do you find it super politically driven?
Reply 57
Original post by mollyjoy
Hi! I'm comparing Sheffield/SOAS for korean at the moment, so what would you personally say are the best and worst things about SOAS?
Also do you find it super politically driven?

I feel like the Korean course, overall, could be better, offer more choice, etc (compared to some European universities I've heard about) but I really like the course, and the Korean department staff are great.

tbh I don't really find it to be more politically driven than other universities, it's just smaller, its students are probably louder, etc.
Reply 58
Original post by Bambirina
Hey guys,

I study Japanese and Business&Management at Manchester, with advanced Chinese as extra credits. I've just finished my first year of uni.
I'm currently in Okinawa for a summer internship and I spent my gap year studying at Tsinghua university in Beijing (I have the HSK level 5).
I love Manchester to bits, I'm so glad I chose it. I also visited Oxford (for interviews haha), SOAS and Leeds.

Feel free to ask me any questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, how were your interviews in oxford like? Did you feel like you benefitted in terms of Chinese language when you went on your year abroad

Quick Reply