The Student Room Group

Extended project ideas?

Any good epq ideas linking maths /economics? Maybe econometrics or something? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
First of all I've never studied maths or economics (except GCSE) but I have done a few projects :smile:

A website teaching kids the basics of maths and economics? (Seen it done before but for something else)

Setting up maths and economics workshops?

Writing a report about how they have developed (again, seen reports done for it before, with research as the evidence)

Making number games etc and going into schools, it could help attract people to the college AND get people understanding maths/economics.

They all require the needs for a project; planning etc. Hope these have helped you think of something, I can't really think of anything else :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by purplelamp
First of all I've never studied maths or economics (except GCSE) but I have done a few projects :smile:

A website teaching kids the basics of maths and economics? (Seen it done before but for something else)

Setting up maths and economics workshops?

Writing a report about how they have developed (again, seen reports done for it before, with research as the evidence)

Making number games etc and going into schools, it could help attract people to the college AND get people understanding maths/economics.

They all require the needs for a project; planning etc. Hope these have helped you think of something, I can't really think of anything else :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any ideas for an essay question linking maths/economics??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emfp21
Any ideas for an essay question linking maths/economics??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know someone who did something about all that prime number bank security witchcraft.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Any other ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Edexcel have sample questions within each topic: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/project/links/Pages/default.aspx
I think it would have to be more economics-based rather than maths-based. Pick a question that you've always been curious about. It doesn't even have to be related to one of your subjects. I read an exemplar called "Cleaning up space junk".
Reply 7
What interesting economic topics are there that are suitable for epq? I've been looking at behavioural economics

And trying to find mathematical models in economics that I could write about but haven't found any

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Any ideas for titles on applying chaos theory to economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Titles for prospect/chaos theories in economics??

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're not going to think of a title without research. Since a huge chunk of EPQ marks are about planning, and progression, I have one bit of advice for you. Note down every step in the progression of your ideas somewhere. E.g. You wanted to do something to do with maths and economics, so you researched chaos theory in economics... You found ____, that lead you to think about ____. And so on.

That's how you'll find your title. As for what someone above said about it having to be more economics - absolute rubbish. The top exemplar I saw was completely mathematical, and I have two friends who did projects on mathematical economics and quantum computing, focusing on maths.

You can write about what you want. Just start reading journal/newspaper articles. Keep links to the web pages where you found them, and write down summaries of your thoughts. Continue like this over summer, and you'll easily have a bank of references for whatever you need to do. It'll also be helpful to keep notes on articles you decide you won't need to use - you can write about that in your project proposal and all the summary crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by William Turtle
You're not going to think of a title without research. Since a huge chunk of EPQ marks are about planning, and progression, I have one bit of advice for you. Note down every step in the progression of your ideas somewhere. E.g. You wanted to do something to do with maths and economics, so you researched chaos theory in economics... You found ____, that lead you to think about ____. And so on.

That's how you'll find your title. As for what someone above said about it having to be more economics - absolute rubbish. The top exemplar I saw was completely mathematical, and I have two friends who did projects on mathematical economics and quantum computing, focusing on maths.

You can write about what you want. Just start reading journal/newspaper articles. Keep links to the web pages where you found them, and write down summaries of your thoughts. Continue like this over summer, and you'll easily have a bank of references for whatever you need to do. It'll also be helpful to keep notes on articles you decide you won't need to use - you can write about that in your project proposal and all the summary crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

Do you think prospect theory/chaos theory would be good??

What was your friends mathematical economics one about??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emfp21
Thanks!

Do you think prospect theory/chaos theory would be good??

What was your friends mathematical economics one about??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds interesting to me.

I'm afraid I don't really no - I never got a chance to read it. It's irrelevant, though. There's no point in you asking people online for titles, as it's part of the assessed process that you work to one yourself. Research, and one will come.

Quick Reply

Latest