The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

A word on entry requirements and [possibly not] meeting them.

Hello everyone,

A trend I've noticed on this forum (and other University pages for that matter) is that a lot of you are worried about not meeting your requirements and not getting a place at university.

I appreciate these fears completely. I was in your position two years ago and remember trawling the internet for statistics on the number of people who got accepted who didn't reach the grades that they held offers for.

The truth is, no one is able to say whether or not you will be let in if you don't meet your grades. It is entirely down to the number of applicants on the day who reached their target grades versus those who didn't. For this reason, it is entirely possible that you will be let in if you don't have the grades that you were originally asked for. By way of example, My friend got BBC and was let in to do History which at the time had requirements of AAB. This isn't even a story that you hear about and it may or may not be true from a friend of a friend; he is my housemate, and he got through the system, I have hard proof. There were so many spaces on the History course that on results day I emailed the department asking to switch from English literature, which I originally applied for. Boom. I was then doing history. Easy as that.

That being said, popular courses such as Law, Economics and especially medicine are more unlikely to accept you if you do not meet the requirements, as they are under no obligation to. Conversely, if you do meet your grades they are legally required to give you a place on the course.

At the end of the day, there is no way to say whether or not you will get in if you don't meet the grades. There are no tell-tale statistics which will give you the answers you seek. The only thing left to do is work hard on your remaining exams and enjoy the last summer in a while that you won't have anything to do for.

Good luck, enjoy your summers and I hope to see you Leics-side in October!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
This s exactly me stressing about not meeting the ABB offer for History and Eng lit, afraid I'll probably get ABC. That story about getting in with BBC to an AAB course sounds crazy like wow. I spend too much time worrying about it, already knowing that it all depends on numerous factors and i'll just have to wait and see.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest